Increasing water causing kidney pain???

Options
Ok, I've been doing wonderfully at eating clean. I don't drink coffee, ever. I do drink diet coke but I have severely cut back and am down to about 20 oz (or less) per day. I've also been drinking about 60-80 oz of water daily. We have Culligan at work and at home we have city water.

Since I've upped my water, I've been having moderate pain in my right kidney. I made a doctor's appointment but my doctor is covering for two others right now and I can't get in until the 19th.

I am running to the bathroom often and not having any issues or pain when using the bathroom. It's most painful when I am sitting. It's better when I stand and walk around.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• freedMan
    freedMan Posts: 68
    Options
    Might be a kidney stone from all your past soda consumption. Time will tell, or your doctor on the 19th. If I were you, I'd make a walkin appointment at your local clinic. The 19th is ridiculous.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I doubt that is being caused by water, its just a coincidence. If anything water would help relieve kidney issues.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Ever since I was little I have gotten a lot of kidney infections. In order keep them at bay I have to drink a lot of water. I don't think it has anything to do with your water consumption. You can try doing some research on WebMD.com to see if you can pinpoint the type of pain you are having and see if there is anything you can do to help before your appointment. If the pain stops you from doing things, I would recommend going to an Urgent care facility and getting checked out with a followup with your normal doctor.

Good Luck.
  • kazamber
    kazamber Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You could have a kidney stone or a urinary tract infection. Go to a walk in clinic ASAP.
  • byHisgrace
    byHisgrace Posts: 175
    Options
    Ever since I was little I have gotten a lot of kidney infections. In order keep them at bay I have to drink a lot of water. I don't think it has anything to do with your water consumption. You can try doing some research on WebMD.com to see if you can pinpoint the type of pain you are having and see if there is anything you can do to help before your appointment. If the pain stops you from doing things, I would recommend going to an Urgent care facility and getting checked out with a followup with your normal doctor.

Good Luck.

Thanks. I thought maybe the increase was making them work harder than they are used to, but if they are healthy to begin with, I just don't get it.

I know water itself wouldn't be causing kidney pain, I was just curious to see if perhaps anyone else had or knew of kidneys being sore from an increase in water due to the volume being taken in not the water itself.

I live in the boonies. We don't have walk in clinics or urgent care. If it gets bad, I will go to the ER. I guess I will try some cranberry for now.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking a urinary tract infection; especially, if you have frequency, burning and lower back pain...which untreated will lead to a kidney infection
  • byHisgrace
    Options
    I'm thinking a urinary tract infection; especially, if you have frequency, burning and lower back pain...which untreated will lead to a kidney infection

I don't think so. The frequency is normal considering that I'm constantly drinking as much water as I can take. I'm not having burning, which is why I don't think it's a UTI. The only pain is very specific to my right kidney. Perhaps it is a stone from my former bad habits :(
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options

Good Luck.

Thanks. I thought maybe the increase was making them work harder than they are used to, but if they are healthy to begin with, I just don't get it.

I know water itself wouldn't be causing kidney pain, I was just curious to see if perhaps anyone else had or knew of kidneys being sore from an increase in water due to the volume being taken in not the water itself.

I live in the boonies. We don't have walk in clinics or urgent care. If it gets bad, I will go to the ER. I guess I will try some cranberry for now.

Cranberries and yogurt are both great for you if it is infection related.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options

I don't think so. The frequency is normal considering that I'm constantly drinking as much water as I can take. I'm not having burning, which is why I don't think it's a UTI. The only pain is very specific to my right kidney. Perhaps it is a stone from my former bad habits :(

Try cutting back on the water and see if the helps the situation...you might have a blocked ureter
  • byHisgrace
    Options

Try cutting back on the water and see if the helps the situation...you might have a blocked ureter

I have to say, I did cut back this afternoon and the pain has dulled. I had 32 oz within about 3 hours this morning and I was in much more pain...ugh. This stinks. Truly, every effort I have made to get fit has been hampered by some major issue :(