In pain - need ideas??

Options
So I am after doing something to the arch of my foot and it seems to be affecting my ankle also. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas what I could have done or if it has happened to any of you?? I can put weight on it and walk for about 2 minutes before I have to hobble again as it is so painful. I know I need to see a doctor but I am in college and cannot make it til the weekend...

Replies

• Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Could be plantar fasciitis.

I would suggest rest because that can get extremely bad if you continue to agrevate it.
  • reddevil29
    reddevil29 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Could be plantar fasciitis.

I would suggest rest because that can get extremely bad if you continue to agrevate it.
    I have never heard of this, is this something I could have done at the gym?
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Just from the info given it sounds like an ankle sprain. The peroneal tendon runs from behind the ankle to under the arch of the foot on both sides. I sprained mine a couple months ago.

Ice it & stay off of it and that should help till you can get to the Dr.
  • reddevil29
    Options
    Just from the info given it sounds like an ankle sprain. The peroneal tendon runs from behind the ankle to under the arch of the foot on both sides. I sprained mine a couple months ago.

Thanks for the info, I was wondering how it could be felt both at the arch of my foot and my ankle....any idea how long this will take to heal??
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options

Thanks for the info, I was wondering how it could be felt both at the arch of my foot and my ankle....any idea how long this will take to heal??

It's going to vary depending on how badly it's sprained and your personal healing rate. For me it took a full 6 weeks BUT that's because I didn't go to the Dr and kept walking on it. Even went to Vegas and limped all over the place. Eventually I went to the Dr. and was given physical therapy.
  • FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I would try taping a pop tart on the inside of the arch. then cover with a sock and soak in epsom salt. Or consult a doctor up to you ...I'm pretty sure i'm right though
  • Chrism740
    Chrism740 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have dealt with this myself. Wear good supportive shoes... avoid walking around barefoot. Take two water bottle... pour out a little of the water and put them in the freezer. Then when watching tv, get them out and roll the bottoms of your feet over them. Great way to ice them.
  • ffffaaatttt
    ffffaaatttt Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I would try taping a pop tart on the inside of the arch. then cover with a sock and soak in epsom salt. Or consult a doctor up to you ...I'm pretty sure i'm right though

HAHAHA.... Pop tarts... Finally good for something.
  • Chelle175
    Chelle175 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Definitely check into the plantar fascitis. Get with an orthopedist. You may need to have special inserts in your shoes.
  • tinytinam
    tinytinam Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Sounds like plantar fasciitis. I had it and it is really painful. I went onto Brent Abel's website. He is professional tennis player and tutor and he had it really bad and thought he would have to give up. He got given some great advice by another pro and went on to develop a set of exercises that really work and cured me. The doctor will recommend orthotics, steriods, antiflammatories, x ray, rest, gel heels and so on. all these availed me no relief but within two weeks this gentle stretching programme made a huge difference and I had suffered with it for a whole year! It often comes about when you start exercising after a period of inactivity. I had had a major abdominal operation and it took me about 3 months to heal. Then I started walking and after a few days my arch and heel got really sore. I hadn't done anything to injure it so thought it would go away - my mistake.

Get a long piece of rope or material and loop it around the arch in your foot and pull gently towards you. Do this for 2 min before you get out of bed in the morning and do it over the day. But seriously, check out Brent Abel, he has help for lots of other sports injuries too.
  • reddevil29
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice....I had to leave college early today because the pain was unbearable and so I am going to the doctor to see what he says. If it is plantar facilitis, does it come and go and can it just come about all of a sudden...I was thinking it could be a tendon??