Help!

Options
So I am entering my meals for today and wanted to know how I count the meat......the package says for 4oz it's 120 cal....but is that 4oz of cooked meat or is that 4oz raw? I know when you cook meat it shrinks, but does it lose it's "weight"......can someone please clarify this for me?? Thanks so much!

Replies

• live2love2012
    Options
    Anyone???
  • xNJAx
    xNJAx Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I've never thought about that. I always just go by the information on the packaging!
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Id count it as cooked. Do you have a food scale?
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I'm right, but I tend to think it would be 4oz cooked.
  • AndreaSchultz77
    Options
    I would count it as cooked. Which means, weigh it after it is cooked as well.
  • live2love2012
    Options
    I've never thought about that. I always just go by the information on the packaging!

I know, right? I never thought about that either until recently......I really didn't know hoe much of a difference it would make.......
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I only measure it cooked unless it's in a stew or Chili then it's raw.
  • live2love2012
    Options
    Id count it as cooked. Do you have a food scale?

Thanks! Yup, have a food scale and I weigh everything...I'm a little obsessive at times I think..lol I just want to make sure I'm counting it properly...do you think a lot of weight is lost when cooking meat? Or does it depend on the meat? Ugh, so many things to learn :smile:
  • lindsiswatchingyou
    lindsiswatchingyou Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    some of the foods listed actuslly say 'raw' in the description. If you use those it simplifies things.
  • live2love2012
    Options
    some of the foods listed actuslly say 'raw' in the description. If you use those it simplifies things.

That's true! These days I don't eat anything unless it has the nutritional value on it, or I can find it on MFP...... it sure does make things so much easier to log!
  • rooster70460
    rooster70460 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    raw
  • live2love2012
    Options
    raw

Thanks...so I think I'm going to weight it raw...then cook it and weigh it again to see what kind of difference that makes.....my little science experiment for tonight :happy:
  • ErzaScarlet
    ErzaScarlet Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything raw :)