accuracy of polar ft7

Options
Dear all.
who use polar FT 7 HRM please let me know your experience as to the accuracy of the heart rate monitor. Compared to calories standardized by MFP in exercises my polar ft7 shows many more calories after a walk of one hour as compared to mfp.

Please help

Replies

• msjones2831
    msjones2831 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I use Polar ft4. I believe polar is more accurate based on my experience. Using the polar I am better able to predict my wight loss results vs mfp predictions. Hope that helps
  • allthatfat
    Options
    yes thank you . it will help. rgds
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is more accurate than MFP. The MFP numbers tend to underestimate for people who are really heavy or out of shape and overestimate for people of a more normal size and fitness level. When I first got my FT7 (maybe January 2012?) I burned about 20% more calories than MFP said for walking. Now though, it's pretty much on par with what MFP says. My calorie burn has dropped as I've lost weight and become more fit.
  • kevinlynch3
    kevinlynch3 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 and have had other Polar models. The HRM will always be more accurate than MFP.
  • allthatfat
    Options
    thanks for the information ,from now on will log only Polar ft7 calories. need to loose 30 kgs so will do it with the help of polar ft7. Regards
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 and have had other Polar models. The HRM will always be more accurate than MFP.
    How do you know? Have you personally tested them compared to a calorimeter? HRM's are generally only about 80% accurate in general.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    How do you know? Have you personally tested them compared to a calorimeter? HRM's are generally only about 80% accurate in general.

He said more accurate than MFP. And it will be. It at least takes the individual into account. MFP works on population averages.
  • TeriLynnSpano
    TeriLynnSpano Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    :huh: What is a caloriemeter? And does anyone know of an inexpensive hrm that works for swimming or exercising in the water?
  • CookieCrumble
    CookieCrumble Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    :huh: What is a caloriemeter? And does anyone know of an inexpensive hrm that works for swimming or exercising in the water?

Hey Terspa.... :flowerforyou:

I have the Polar F7, recommended by one of my other MFP friends, and it's great. I wear it whilst swimming. I'm not certain that the watch is waterproof (as it has a battery compartment that isn't sealed) but I clip it up in my hair with my MP3 player so it stays dry anyway. The chest strap is completely waterproof. Works perfectly!
  • omma_to_3
    Options

Hey Terspa.... :flowerforyou:

I have the Polar F7, recommended by one of my other MFP friends, and it's great. I wear it whilst swimming. I'm not certain that the watch is waterproof (as it has a battery compartment that isn't sealed) but I clip it up in my hair with my MP3 player so it stays dry anyway. The chest strap is completely waterproof. Works perfectly!

The watches are waterproof (they should have an o-ring seal in the battery compartment!). However, you CANNOT press the buttons on the watch while in the water. The only issue people have had is that sometimes the watch can't get the signal for the HRM itself because the signal doesn't travel well through the water. My friend has been swimming with her FT60 though and hasn't had that issue. Tightening the strap to be super tight is reported to help this problem.
  • TeriLynnSpano
    TeriLynnSpano Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thank you friends:heart::heart: