Muscle Pain around Left hip

Options
I'm after a bit of advice.

I've been experiencing a little muscle pain around my left hip joint since Friday evening after working out, there was no moment when it started hurting it just came on gradually about an hour or so after I got home. If I didn't move it for a while it would be really stiff and painful and then after a few minutes of moving around it would be fine.

I changed my exercise program last week and I'm attributing this pain to either Interval Running, Leg Presses or Lunges or some combination of them all.

After making the rookie mistake of trying to work through the pain on Sunday I rested it until I could move/stand with no pain and then tried swimming to loosen it up late on Tuesday. After a couple of days swimming I can start to feel it again so I am either doing something wrong or missing something obvious.

Should I just rest it up until it feels completely normal again or is there something else I should be doing? After getting used to been active its very frustrating, so I'll be grateful for any advice.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    we're not doctors so we can't tell you exactly what it is you're experiencing and what you should do, but rest is always a good place to start. pain is the body's way of tell you to back off, and you'd be wise to listen to it. give it some time, work on other areas that don't agitate your hip, test it out lightly in a week. if it feels better but still smarts, give it another week. if it feels worse and just as acute, consider seeing a professional.

it's probably just a strain/sprain (needs rest)
  • WinwillLose
    Options
    I had issues with that, stretch your IT band.
  • Sandykopf
    Sandykopf Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I had exactly the same problem and despite repeated attempts of changing out exercises, stretches and massage, I saw no real progress. Consulted a physiotherapist who determined one leg is silightly shorter that the other. This is apparently very common and many people don't realize it. After a lifetime of your hips being twisted due to skeletal issues, only then does it show up as hip pain. Discrete insole in one shoe and following the therapists exercises made all the difference. Worth the investment of treatment!
  • MIssFinny
    MIssFinny Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hello, there! I'll just preface this by saying I'm not a Dr. or an expert, nor am I claiming that you have a particular issue.

Now, with that said...

In my experience (I pretty much only run BTW), whenever I have hip pain that means that I just need a good glute massage. I often times get knots in my glutes that cause all sorts of problems from hip pain to lower back pain to even knee pain. I know, it sounds funny. Like, all you need is your butt rubbed and you're good to go. :laugh: You can either have someone do it for you, get a foam roller, or I've even read that a golf ball can help (if you put it under the glute, sit on it, and roll it around). Again, sounds really awkward, but I'm totally serious.

And of course, rest is usually a good idea. Good luck.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I'd say most likely it's a mobility issue in your hips.
    Could be a tight IT band, tight hip flexors, tight quads, tight hamstrings, or a combination of those.

Get a foam roller and roll everything out and start doing some mobility work.

mobilitywod.com has some great squat warmup stuff that I used when my hips were giving me trouble.
    If you stay proactive about it, you shouldn't have much trouble in the future.
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    all that ilovedeadlift said!

i constantly battle my left hip due to tight IT band and hamstrings
  • blackiris49
    blackiris49 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I had pain in my right hip for some time, was worried as I had been taking Actonol for osteopenia/osteoporosis. I found it improved after I started adding ginger and turmeric to my milk at night. I also found that I had no, or little pain first thing in the morning but pain and stiffness after sitting for a long time, at the computer on a plane,bus or car; especially if there was no room to move my legs.

Found this- http://www.runnersforum.com/special/why-sitting-causes-injuries.html

Also found rubbing some blue ease cream from Holland & Barretts around the hip area helped.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    My hip pain was a result of a Labral tear. It would ease up after a few days of rest and then return unexpectedly. Then one day it just never went away. The result? Surgery six weeks ago to repair the tear...just started 12 weeks of PT.

I am in no way suggesting this is the cause of your pain, but it is always a possiblity.
  • Sara2184
    Sara2184 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Resurrecting this to say I got the same problem now. My left hip joint started cracking a lot a while back, now it's full on pain. I'll rest it for few days, then see a doctor if it doesn't improve. Any leg exercises I can do in the meantime?