Eating back your exercise calories

Options
What does that mean?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    When you exercise you burn calories. If you then eat that # of calories you are eating back your exercise calories.
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    Which puts you into maintainance not calorie reduction, don't expect anything spectacular when doing this.
  • leesehm
    leesehm Posts: 117
    Options
    what makes you think it puts you back into maintenance? you're already at a deficit you can eat them. though most things overestimate calories burnt so i usually eat half of them back i've lost 8kg (18lb) in two months
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    no it doesnt lol , mfp reduces your calories from maintanance as it is in order for you to lose weight every week. the calories u burn during exercise put u at an even larger deficit .. so if u eat those calories it will still bring u back to the same calorie deficit mpf set u
  • chelle_fri
    chelle_fri Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Which puts you into maintainance not calorie reduction, don't expect anything spectacular when doing this.

In my opinion, that is false. I'm set at 1200 calories a day, which is creating a deficit so I can lose about 2lbs a week. If I burn an extra 500 calories on a given day, and eat back those calories, I will still lose 2lbs a week. Maintenance would be if I took away the deficit entirely.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    precisely mu point :P
  • chelle_fri
    chelle_fri Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Great minds, good sir. Cheers! :drinker:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Not with MFP as the deficit is baked into the base.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options

No, it doesn't. MFP has your calories figured at a deficit, and if you work out, you create an even greater deficit. If you eat the calories you burned back, you are still at a deficit.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    tigerpalm.jpg
  • Sunflowerinbloom
    Sunflowerinbloom Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys that really helped :)
  • csi4us
    csi4us Posts: 74
    Options
  • csi4us
    csi4us Posts: 74
    Options
    I had the same problem I used think the same way. Someone once wrote to me and opened my eyes. I hope it does the same for you.

It depends on how you have your account set up. Did you tell MFP that you want to lose x amount per week? If so, then you need to eat back your calories. The reason why is that your calorie deficit is already included in the amount of calories they are giving you. If you don't eat back your calories, you will not net enough calories per day and in the long run hurt your metabolism. My best advice is to always net above 1200 calories per day. I personally try to net my BMR per day. It took me a long time to figure out that I could lose weight without starving myself and that I could repair my broken metabolism from years of starvation diets. Losing weight quickly is not a wise idea...if you are losing more than say 1-2 pounds per week consistently, you are losing too quickly and are most likely losing lean body mass. Loss of LBM= skinny fat soft body, slowed metabolism and almost guarantees you will gain it all back
  • Treuthiness
    Treuthiness Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    @ Chadomaniac Bump.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I generally don't eat back all the exercise calories. Partly because I don't assume the exercise calorie count is 100% accurate and partly because when the amount of exercise doubles my intake goal for the day I can't do it without feeling exceedingly bloated.
    If I get half back I have accomplished something.
  • HardLocker
    HardLocker Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    if you want to lose weight more quickly , don't eat back your burnt calories
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The whole idea of eating back your exercise calories is just a different way of doing TDEE less a fixed number of cals or a %.

Based on a number of calculators I've seen my TDEE is in the 2600 to 2700 cal range, knocking 500 cal per day off that gives me 2100 to 200 cal per day to lose 1lb per week. MFP sets my "net cals" at 1650 per day (activity level set a sedentary) assuming I exercise, on average, the equivalent of 500 cal I get to eat 2150. Same difference.
  • 1julietax
    1julietax Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat back my calories. If I do eat some back I'll do maybe at the most half. That was I give myself a buffer in case I missed something during the day or miscalculated on something I ate. I think the calories given for some of the exercises is a bit high, so it's helps with that as well.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I like to leave a little margin for error, too, although some days I eat back all my exercise calories plus more.
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options

Not if you have your goals set for weight loss you are already in a calorie deficit you will lose weight. Jts remeber the burn rates on MFP are way higher than the real burn rates cut by half to be sure or get a HRM