HRM-Polar, Suunto, or Another Brand

Options
My HRM has been acting up for awhile and I've been looking for a new one for awhile. My current one is Polar F6. I cannot replace the batteries myself in the watch and once the chest strap goes you have to order a new one. I've loved it until now. Really like the sounds of the Polar FT4 or FT60, the training mode appeals to me for running but I don't just run for my workouts. I also like the Suunto M4 or M5. Have been reading and reading reviews for most of the day and just wanted thoughts/opinions on these brands or others if you have one you love and have had no problems with. Reading the pros and cons has me nervous to buy one, I really don't want to get screwed or have to spend $300+ to get a good one. Just want one that doesn't tell me my hr is 00 while I know I'm busting my *kitten* doing Insanity. Thanks for any input

Replies

• Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Bookers23
    Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I love my suunto, had a polar and they are nice but the suunto are in a class of their own. Better screen, menu everything. Plus, most models upload to computer to their site which is really nice way to track everything with all the graphs you could want. also, easy battery change and very comfy straps. I think they just plain look better also. Had a m4, upgraded to a tr6 and now have an ambit. Good luck! Any specific questions don't hesitate to ask.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I love my FT4. The new ones have batteries in the watch and chest strap you can replace yourself.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    You can't really compare Polar and Suunto. They occupy two completely different price brackets. Suunto is WAY high end. Polar has 1 or 2 models in that price range too, but they're not really comparable to Suuntos.

Get what you can afford. If you can afford a Suunto or Garmin, then you should pretty much only be looking into those two brands and pretty much write off Polar. Polar are great for what they are, but if you have the means to get something that is of significantly better quality, well, why not?
  • elle_gray8
    Options
    I use a Polar FT4. Love it,too! I use it for more than just running (kickboxing, Zumba, and p90x).
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7 here. Batteries can be changed.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Been researching and looking at a ton of hrm, its become overwhelming. Really appreciate the feedback.
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Have the FT4 & love it. I use it pretty much daily; not a problem ever, haven't had to change the battery yet. I did buy a second chest strap to alternate with, but it was cheap from Amazon.
  • garmandj
    garmandj Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Polar FT7. It works great. I haven't had to change the batteries yet, but I can change both batteries myself. The one drawback is that the chest strap transmitter takes a different size battery from the watch...go figure. Otherwise, it works best for me while I do Insanity.
  • nduva
    nduva Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If you run also, love my Garmin Forerunner 110. Use it indoors and out, so much more accurate and comfortable than my Polar HR ever was! Good resource for cheap monitors, they always have great sales:

http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I have a Timex Ironman one (the women's version). I'm on my third one currently--the batteries in the watch are changeable, but they suggest having a professional do it, and the battery in the strap is easily changeable--but each one has lasted about 3 years. It cost about $100, and I'm pretty happy with the features. Not too fancy, easy to use, and no cross-talk with all of the Polars at the gym.
  • mirthfuldragon
    mirthfuldragon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I love my Garmin FR70. It's expensive, but it has huge data-logging capability, lets you build custom workouts and and then it will beep at you for interval changes, and has user-replaceable batters in the watch and strap. It's also ANT+ compatible, which means it won't work with most gym equipment, but it will work with pretty much every cycling-related device in existence.

Garmin's website is also stellar in terms of capabilities, which is icing on the cake.
  • Bookers23
    Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Bump up for more great info the people want!
  • MeganDoutch
    Options
    What did you end up going for? I am currently torn between a Suunto M5 and a Polar FT60