5'1" 42-year old female starting at 170

Options
Hoping to get to 130. Any motiviational / success stories from women may age and size?

Replies

• jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I'm also 42 years old and one inch shorter than you. I started at 163. After 3 months, I am now at 154. My goal is 120. It's slow, but it's happening. Perhaps we could should be friends. :flowerforyou:
  • cindybowcut
    cindybowcut Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I am also 1" shorter than you, just turned 44. My starting weight was 200 in July 2011, I am now 146 and hope to get to 130-125. I have plateau since September and trying to get the weight loss going again.
  • ErinLCole
    Options
    Hi, I am 37 and am 5'2" and started at 170 also! I started losing weight in September 2011 and reached my goal of losing 50 pounds in July 2012. So it took about ten months. You can do it! I started taking a Zumba class and actually worked out because it was so much fun, and then started doing My Fitness Pal in February. I just reached 280 days in a row of using it! I lost some weight by just working out, but it was the MFP that really got my weight loss going. I had no idea how many calories I was taking in. And I love how you can still eat what you want as long as you stay within your calorie goal for the day. But you'll also begin to see yourself really evaluating if what you think you want to eat is worth the calories or not too. I went from a size 14 to a size 2, and am in better shape than I've ever been in in my life. Just remember it's a very slow process and don't get frustrated when the pounds aren't rolling off. I lost a pound a week most weeks, but after 20 weeks that's 20 pounds so try to think long term!!! Now the trick has been keeping it off ... a whole new challenge but so far I've only wavered up and down by two pounds so I'm thankful! If you want to friend me my username is erinlcole. :)
  • kmccormick42
    kmccormick42 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I am 45 & 5' even and over the past 11 years I allowed myself to creep up to 165 lbs. When I first started trying to lose, I let go of the junk food and started walking and immediately lost some quick weight. Since then I've been diligently logging on MFP (even the bad stuff). I purchased a treadmill cheap off Craig's List and I've made myself walk 30 -60 min everyday. I also started walking up the 6 flights of stairs at work. I started this around 6/1 and I'm now down to 128 and a size 8. My goal is to maintain at 125. I don't consider myself on a diet. I eat regular food. You'll see that I eat sweets when I want and some days I do better than others. I've accepted this as a lifestyle and I plan to never go back. I'm hoping to start some weights now so I can tone up. Just don't get discouraged; it took a long time to gain the weight and it takes some time to get it back off. Feel free to friend me.
  • daniles1
    Options
    Hello, wow!! how inspiring to read your story. i just started Nov 5th with my husband Shawn. I am a visual person so to see the total reports and that cute little lady bug is great!! Take care and have a great day.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1", 40 years old, and right now I am at 172 pounds after losing just over 100 so far. Hoping to get down to about 150 eventually. In a little bit of a slump right now. *sigh*

You can totally do it! :flowerforyou:
  • ardorrequiem
    Options
    I find the best examples of success stories are on the beach body website. No joke. I don't even look at the workouts they've done I just look at their stats and drop my jaw. lol

hit me up if you want some links. :)
  • ccpowers
    ccpowers Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    42, 5'1 highest weight 206...started MFP at 187, down to 158 so far still have a ways to go, but consistency is the key! Friend me if you want
  • irishcream4u2
    irishcream4u2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Greetings and WELCOME to MyFitnessPal.

I am a bit older and a bit taller and my starting weight a year ago was 220. I am now nearing 170. My average of about a pound dropped per week is working well for me.

The first step I took in changing my eating patterns was to work on my emotional eating problem, which has been a life-long issue. Knowing it would be my biggest challenge, I decided to tackle it head-on and I'm amazed at how my strategy worked. Not knowing if emotional eating is an issue for you, I will offer my suggestion for your consideration.

MY Step One: I vowed to myself that I would NOT eat unless I had felt actual, physical hunger for at least 30 minutes!!! And, during that 30 minute wait, I had to drink lots of water (16-24 ounces). If after the 30 minutes I was still feeling actual physical hunger, I would eat. What I found was that during that 30 minutes, I was contemplating what I might like to eat and what might be the most satisfying. This actually helped me to learn to make better choices for myself and I began to realize that as the unhealthy snacks/foods were emptied out, that I began to buy less of that stuff...and that the less I ate that stuff....the LESS I had cravings for it. :happy:

About 3 months into my journey, I started adding more fresh veggies/fruits to my food choices, which naturally began to replace less healthy processed foods. I gradually reduced my intake of fatty red meats and starches.

At six months, I started documenting all my calorie intake on MyFitnessPal, working to reduce fat, sodium, carbohydrates, and increase my fiber intake. This website is great. I also weighed and measured my body each month to verify the changes I was seeing. I like the progress reports that this site offers. I also have taken photos along the way. It is nice to see the validation that what I am doing on a daily basis is adding up to a much healthier me. Now I am working on adding more physical fitness to my daily life.

Feel free to add me as a pal on here. I wish you the best. :flowerforyou:
  • beaner1st
    beaner1st Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I am a 5'2" 43-year old female. I started this journey when I was 42 and over 150. I am now at 115 and have been at maintenance for a few months. I KNOW you can do it. Believe in yourself and stay strong and consistent. It is a journey that involves a lifestyle change.
  • wallerbear
    wallerbear Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Thanks for such quick replies!! This is exactly the type of support I need! It is so encouraging to hear that it CAN be done even after you hit middle-age! So many crazy things going on in our bodies...I don't even recognize myself some days!

A little about myself...I have "battled the buldge" most of my adult life. I have also struggled with with MDD (major depressive disorder) and anxiety since I was an adolescent, and that has played a major role...as my moods would change, so would my activity level, eating, and weight. As recently as 2009, I was working out 5 days a week and hovered around 142. I was pretty happy with my weight and body at that time and enjoyed working out. I had my first panic attack in the spring of 2009 and leaving the house became a real obstacle. Work wasn't a choice (I had to make myself go), but outside of that I avoided going anywhere (even to the homes of my family members). Needless to say, here it is 3 years later and I am 30 pounds heavier.

A lot has happened in the past 3 years...my mother-in-law has had breast cancer twice, both she and my mom have had complete knee replacements, we lost my dad's mom in May 2010, my dad's dad in February 2011, a cousin committed suicide in September 2011, two days later my in-laws separated after nearly 50 years of marriage, and my dad "beat the widow-maker" in November 2011. Sprinkle that with daily living, working full-time and chasing two very active daughters who keep me running in opposite directions most days...sometimes I feel like I don't have a lot of control over my life.

I don't tell you this for pity or attention...I'm making a stand and saying this: A lot of those things were / are beyond my control. As of now, I AM RECLAIMING CONTROL OF ME. I am responsible for what goes into my body and how I care for it. I am making a commitment to myself to get healthy...NO EXCUSES. I look forward to sharing in your successes!
  • wallerbear
    Options
    I find the best examples of success stories are on the beach body website. No joke. I don't even look at the workouts they've done I just look at their stats and drop my jaw. lol

hit me up if you want some links. :)

I just started Insanity this week, and I'm on teambeachbody.com! Hoping it doesn't kill me! LOL
  • wallerbear
    Options
    Greetings and WELCOME to MyFitnessPal.

I am a bit older and a bit taller and my starting weight a year ago was 220. I am now nearing 170. My average of about a pound dropped per week is working well for me.

The first step I took in changing my eating patterns was to work on my emotional eating problem, which has been a life-long issue. Knowing it would be my biggest challenge, I decided to tackle it head-on and I'm amazed at how my strategy worked. Not knowing if emotional eating is an issue for you, I will offer my suggestion for your consideration.

MY Step One: I vowed to myself that I would NOT eat unless I had felt actual, physical hunger for at least 30 minutes!!! And, during that 30 minute wait, I had to drink lots of water (16-24 ounces). If after the 30 minutes I was still feeling actual physical hunger, I would eat. What I found was that during that 30 minutes, I was contemplating what I might like to eat and what might be the most satisfying. This actually helped me to learn to make better choices for myself and I began to realize that as the unhealthy snacks/foods were emptied out, that I began to buy less of that stuff...and that the less I ate that stuff....the LESS I had cravings for it. :happy:

About 3 months into my journey, I started adding more fresh veggies/fruits to my food choices, which naturally began to replace less healthy processed foods. I gradually reduced my intake of fatty red meats and starches.

At six months, I started documenting all my calorie intake on MyFitnessPal, working to reduce fat, sodium, carbohydrates, and increase my fiber intake. This website is great. I also weighed and measured my body each month to verify the changes I was seeing. I like the progress reports that this site offers. I also have taken photos along the way. It is nice to see the validation that what I am doing on a daily basis is adding up to a much healthier me. Now I am working on adding more physical fitness to my daily life.

Feel free to add me as a pal on here. I wish you the best. :flowerforyou:

I am definitely an emotional eater...trying not to be, though! I will definitely give your tips a try! Thanks!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Thanks for such quick replies!! This is exactly the type of support I need! It is so encouraging to hear that it CAN be done even after you hit middle-age! So many crazy things going on in our bodies...I don't even recognize myself some days!

A little about myself...I have "battled the buldge" most of my adult life. I have also struggled with with MDD (major depressive disorder) and anxiety since I was an adolescent, and that has played a major role...as my moods would change, so would my activity level, eating, and weight. As recently as 2009, I was working out 5 days a week and hovered around 142. I was pretty happy with my weight and body at that time and enjoyed working out. I had my first panic attack in the spring of 2009 and leaving the house became a real obstacle. Work wasn't a choice (I had to make myself go), but outside of that I avoided going anywhere (even to the homes of my family members). Needless to say, here it is 3 years later and I am 30 pounds heavier.

A lot has happened in the past 3 years...my mother-in-law has had breast cancer twice, both she and my mom have had complete knee replacements, we lost my dad's mom in May 2010, my dad's dad in February 2011, a cousin committed suicide in September 2011, two days later my in-laws separated after nearly 50 years of marriage, and my dad "beat the widow-maker" in November 2011. Sprinkle that with daily living, working full-time and chasing two very active daughters who keep me running in opposite directions most days...sometimes I feel like I don't have a lot of control over my life.

I don't tell you this for pity or attention...I'm making a stand and saying this: A lot of those things were / are beyond my control. As of now, I AM RECLAIMING CONTROL OF ME. I am responsible for what goes into my body and how I care for it. I am making a commitment to myself to get healthy...NO EXCUSES. I look forward to sharing in your successes!

That's a lot to handle at one time. One of my favorite saying is: "You can not always control what happens around you but you can control how you react to it"
  • Stella2070
    Stella2070 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi. 42 at 5'4". Been doing this seriously for 6 weeks. Started at 172 now at 163. Get frustrated sometimes because it isn't coming off any faster and I have to remind myself at each weigh-in even though it is "only" one pound, I am one pound closer to my goal. Plus, I hear at 40+ skin isn't as elastic as when 20 so I guess the slow process is better than losing really fast and wondering what to do with all the extra skin. Have to look for the positive or I will quit like I have done so many times before!
    My goal in the beginning at 172 was to lose 65 pounds of fat and gain 20 pounds of muscle.
    MFP for four weeks, keeps me accountable. Never realized I ate so much food! WOW!
    Good luck to everyone!
  • Denise1224
    Denise1224 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm also 42 years old and one inch shorter than you. I started at 163. After 3 months, I am now at 154. My goal is 120. It's slow, but it's happening. Perhaps we could should be friends. :flowerforyou:

Same here! I'm 42 only 5'0' started at 164 and am now at 150 (lost the initial 14 before joining MFP) ... my goal is also 120-125. I'm working with a personal trainer as of September 1 and the measurements have changed over those couple of months just no scale movement yet... it is a slow process! Add me if you'd like :smile:
  • marinemomx2
    marinemomx2 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am 5'1.5, 47 and started at 188 lbs and now weigh 122. Add me if you want :smile:
  • Ha! I'm 42 years old 4'11 and was 160. Now down to 147. Looking to get to 120. Use shorties do have unique struggles to get the weight off :) Friend me and lets get through this together!
  • cajungirltx
    cajungirltx Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 38 yrs old, started myfitnesspal.com about three weeks ago at 153. My last weigh in was 148.5...My goal weight is 125. I do not want to be too thin, just a healthier BMI. I am married and we have three kids(that take up alot of my time) and work full time. I have made bad choices in the last two years and gained 30 pds. I'm on this site to meet people, get advice, motivational support, exchange recipes, etc. Good Luck on your weightloss journey.
  • tmmogirl
    tmmogirl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 1-1/2" so I round up to 5'2". Not starting at a super heavy weight but it's an extra 18-20lbs I don't want. At 42yrs I don't want to just accept that I'm getting older. There are so many vibrant, fit 50yr olds out there--I want to be one of them!

Your're not alone & you can do it!