Vinyassa Yoga

Options
HI out there! I do Vinyassa yoga twice a week (it is wonderful) and it feels quite a bit more vigorous than Hatha yoga, which seems to be the only yoga option in the excercize section. DOes anyone know about how many calories a vinyassa class burns? Im 5'7, 121...

If its more than HAtha, I'd love to know. That means I can eat more! :)

Replies

• rocktinkerbell
    Options
    I would like to know too! Good question!
  • emily859
    emily859 Posts: 38
    Options
    I do this too. I usually work up a serious sweat... I read somewhere that it burns 300-400 per hour, but since there is no way to know, I just keep using the hatha numbers. I figure any extra calories burned are like insurance for the days that I might go over. That's not very precise, but I think even in each class (since they are all different) you can never really be sure and I'd rather underestimate rather than over.

Oh, I've read on the message boards that wearing a heart rate monitor is the best way to know. I personally don't have one but I am thinking about maybe getting one.
  • rocktinkerbell
    Options
    I found this calorie burning calculator and one of the choices is vinyassa yoga. Check it out! http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc
  • aareeyesee
    aareeyesee Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    If you like vinyasa yoga you may like Ashtanga Yoga. You can find many free Ashtanga Primary Series workouts on YouTube for free. I prefer David Swenson. I just save the videos to my harddrive and do Ashtanga 2-3 times a week. Also Esther Eckhart is awesome on youtube yogatic channel
  • ohdank
    ohdank Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks Everyone! I think its probably smart to just put in the Hatha as calorie insurance! I love ashtanga too, its almost like gymnastics sometimes!!