Turkey Trot 5 miles, can I be ready??

Options
Hello All!

I want to sign up for a race on Turkey Day. It's 5 miles.

I am currently running 3-4 days/ week 2-3 miles at a time.

Is it silly to think I can do this? Should I just drop the thought?

Replies

• thefithuntress
    Options
    You can absolutely do this! :)

There are loads of great training guides online to running. If you plan on running a longer distance than you're used to go for endurance instead of speed. Figure out if you like to eat before your runs or not. Maybe music will help you take your mind off of it. Above all, just go out and run without worrying about your times! :)
  • Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    If you are currently logging 6-12 miles a week, you can probably do the Turkey Trot. Depending on your fitness, you may not be able to run through the whole thing, probably plan for a minute walk between each mile, but if you want it, you'll get through it. It sounds like a great idea! It would probably be a great way to spend time with friends, family as well... :) Go for it!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    you're already doing it. stop thinking about it and go sign up
  • amytag
    amytag Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Try the Bridge to 10K app or program. I think you can do it with some dedication over the next 2 weeks for sure!
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Yes!! You can do it, now go sign up!! :smile:
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options

I agree. Do it, why not? It'll give you something to run for :laugh:
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options

I agree. Do it, why not? It'll give you something to run for :laugh:

I agree too!

Also Christy, I live in MA and will also be at the Feaster 5! My friend and I are wearing ridiculous turkey hats. Can't miss us.
  • libbygrl
    libbygrl Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You can definitely do it! Just alter your runs for the week so that you have 2-3 shorter runs, with one long run to work up to 5mi. Good luck!
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    get out there and do it! i cant run a 5k either..but this will be my 2nd run.. (4th if you count the mud runs). Its all about getting out there and doing it. you wont be kicked out if you walk some of it..
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    What city? I ask because we have the same thing (5k & 5mi) in Pittsburgh...
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    You should definitely do it. Even if you have to talk a walk break, take it! I am doing a 5k December 7th and I am only on week 4 of c25k.
  • payupalice
    payupalice Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I think you can do it! Start adding a long run each week , working up to 5 miles. You can do it, and turkeys everywhere will cheer for you!
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    You got this! Even if you need to walk a little... no big deal :) The adrenaline will push you! Go for it!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Sure. . just have reasonable expectations. And, take a water break at the station (if offered) and walk a few seconds if you need to from time to time. Go for it!!!
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a 5 mile Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving too! You can do it, it'll be fun:) Do walk/run intervals if you need to but just get out there!
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I say go for it. Just pace yourself a little slower and you should be fine. Take an iPod an you won't even notice your heavy breathing.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a 5-mile Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving too! I'm guessing they're not the same one though since we don't live in the same place...anyway, you can totally do it. That race is SUPER fun, I've done it a few times, and your adrenaline will give you a little extra push. I think there are usually one or two water stations, and take your time. Good luck!!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    You can probably do it if you're willing to take walk breaks when needed.
  • VelaPulsar
    Options
    Yes please. You got this!
  • sailinjen
    sailinjen Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    you totally got this....agree with davpal....youre already doing it!!!!! Have fun!!!