First 5K

Options
I am doing my first 5k on November 17th for Childhood Diabetes. Such a great cause as my father was diagnosed when he was 12 with Juvenile diabetes. Only problem is I'll probably walk most of it since I cant run very much. Any Advice is appreciated Im currently 278lbs but I walk daily. Thanks

Replies

• chefyego
    chefyego Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    take it easy dont over do it stretch before you exersize yadda yadda yadda . Bbefore the run starts they have a mass warm up that helps and its fun.
    i started 2 years ago gentle jog 2 mins walk 1 min. Go to womansrunninguk.co.uk they have a lot of advice for ladys only and like the mens version not pretenious
    good luck and mosy of all have fun ; )
  • NurseandMom1981
    NurseandMom1981 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice i just dont want to look stupid if Im the last one done lol
  • mgnmsn
    mgnmsn Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Since it is a charity cause like that, I expect there to be a lot of walkers there. I did a lung cancer one and about half ran and half walked. So my steady job came right in the middle of the pack!

Good luck and enjoy it! That is a great cause!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Walking it is not a problem as long as you remember to smile as you cross the finish line.

Depending on how the race is organized (bigger races will normally have corrals based on estimated finish times) walkers and slower runners are expected to line up at the back of the pack but other than that.....get there a bit early (there will be lineups for the porta-potties and it's always a good idea to go ahead of time, even if you don't really feel the need), dress appropriately (don't over dress, even walking you will warm up) and have fun!
  • MommiLauren
    MommiLauren Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    dont worry about it! your gonna do great! and your gonna feel great when you cross that finish line. i did my first 5k this sept and now i think im hooked =)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    BrianSharpe's post hit all the vital points on the head, especially the part about having fun! My favorite part of races is listening in on conversations and chatting with all the folks along the way. Bring a water bottle and a snack with you if you think you'll need it.
  • Tannedtiffers
    Tannedtiffers Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice i just dont want to look stupid if Im the last one done lol

last one finish TRUMPS never even entered
  • NurseandMom1981
    Options
    Im really hoping this will give me that adrenaline rush that gets me addicted. I cant wait!
  • Tannedtiffers
    Options
    I bet it will....i've done 5 in a year...LOVE 5ks!!
  • LoyalAngel16
    LoyalAngel16 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I did my first 5k about a month ago and loved it. I walked the entire thing as well and close to the same weight. Just make sure you stretch before hand. I was a little sore the next day, but not a bad sore.
  • brentmg
    brentmg Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am running one as well this Sat for Special Olympics. I usually start out walking and then will jog or walk fast for 20-30 seconds. After I catch my breath, I do another 20-30 seconds. Most of all, have fun. The runners are racing, we are raising awareness and money for good causes.

if anyone want to contribute $5 to my walk, feel free to contact me and I can email the link.

Keep trying and don't give up.
  • tansygreen
    tansygreen Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    No real advice as I'm not a great runner, but I just want to say it's fantastic that you're taking yourself out of your comfort zone, and doing something positive for charity and for your own fitness.

Don't even think about walking as a negative thing - you're doing more than a lot of people ever do in their lives so be proud. I'm sure you'll have great fun!! Good luck and let us know how it went :)
  • thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I run my first 5K the same day. I am excited but nervous. Just remember your doing the event for a good cause but your getting active for you. Be Proud
  • NurseandMom1981
    Options
    I actually am scared of failing? Also doing it alone is scary but I truly think when I complete this it will give me the confidence to do this on my own. I need to change my mentality that I have to have someone do it with me.
  • grum84
    grum84 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I am running (jogging) my first 5K this weekend. Excited and nervous all the same. Though I did just complete the Couch to 5K (C25K) program and still have no idea how I can go for nearly 30 minutes straight in only 10 weeks. So have my confidence from that. My goal is to jog most of it, but ultimately just finish under 45 minutes.
  • letobot
    letobot Posts: 205
    Options
    I actually am scared of failing? Also doing it alone is scary but I truly think when I complete this it will give me the confidence to do this on my own. I need to change my mentality that I have to have someone do it with me.

You can't fail, failure is a mindset.. .Just get out there and do the best you can, jog, walk, crawl to the finish...you'll love the energy of the other participants and i guarantee you'll be hooked.
  • Touched670
    Touched670 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    IF you finish-you succeed!!! I walked my first 5K in April and have done two more since then. And I don't even walk every day. My weight is a couple pounds more than yours. Just pace yourself...you will have moments when you think that you can not do it-just press on, it will pass and you'll get a second wind. They are a lot of fun!
    You CAN do this!! be sure to post us and let us know how you did after the race!!
  • blueeylb
    blueeylb Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    if you walk daily you'll be fine i have done 5-5k's this year before that it was 6yrs since my last one. if you going by yourself bring some music it helps it go by faster and LISTEN to your body if you need to slow down or stop for i bit do it, have fun!!!
  • NurseandMom1981
    Options
    I walked a 5k during lunch today and it was right at 50 minutes Im hoping with the adrenaline and atmosphere I can do some what better.
  • Tannedtiffers
    Options
    I walked a 5k during lunch today and it was right at 50 minutes Im hoping with the adrenaline and atmosphere I can do some what better.
    that's great time...i walked and jogged for 50 min last sat.