Arthroscopic Knee Surgery

Options
Has anybody had an arthroscopic knee surgery? I just scheduled it for next month and I'm freaking out a little about the recovery.

Background:
I've had a bad knee for 12 years. Although I never had an injury, it makes a loud click when I flex it sometimes, will go out on me after a long walk or walking too fast, gives me shooting pain walking down stairs if I'm not careful and has a dull ache from time to time. I had xrays done when it first started and again when it flared up, but never got anywhere. Finally did an MRI that showed some cartilage loss and that the knee's track was shallow and crooked. Doctor suggested that since it was such a long-running problem, going in arthroscopically to clean out any broken bits of cartilage and improve the tracking. He made it sound like I'd be laid up for a couple days and then do rehab just biking or using an elliptical. Any experience to share would be helpful.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    yeah. it's really a best case scenario if your knee has to go under the knife. every case is different, but getting your knee scoped is relatively minor. the incision is small and the procedure is less evasive so healing is fast and pain is minimal. when I had my knee scoped a couple of years ago I could walk on it the same day (although after the anesthesia wore off I wished I hadn't). compare that to when I had to when my knee exploded and they had to go in a cut everything open and put it back together. that took months, not weeks to recover from.

don't worry about it. it's not a big deal. of course, it's easier for me to say that when it's your knee instead of mine. :wink:
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have had this and walked out of the clinic afterwards and back in work the next day BUT it depends on what you are getting done. I had a loose body removed - a piece of bone! They dont really know what they will do until they go in there so if there is a lot of poking around then you will be quite sore for a while - at least days. But whats that if you have had problems for years.

So I'd expect the worst and hope for the best!!

And enjoy the anaesthetic - dunno what i got before they put me over but it was fab!
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I had mine done when I turned 30. For a few years after that my right knee was still never the same and flared up occasionally. I did all the physical therapy I was supposed to and iced it, etc. However, it is now better than ever. I'm not sure why. I have been able to do all sorts of different workouts now, lunges don't bother me, nothing!
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Yep, I've done it. The recovery for the knee was about a week, or week and a half. I was back on non-impact exercise (bike, elliptical, swim) that quickly. Sadly, for me the anesthesia was a worse issue. It kept me exhausted for well over a month. But that's just one of my quirks.
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I've had 7 major reconstructions and 3 scopes on my left knee, so my "bar" is set a little high. That said, my most recent scope was in January of 2012, the surgeon was in there for just a few minutes, I was bearing weight on crutches within 3 days and threw the crutches away in 10. And that knee is mostly gone to begin with. You'll be uncomfortable for a day or two, just take the pills. The trick is the rehab...follow what they tell you to the letter; the best surgeon in the world can only improve "the mechanics", the rest is up to you! You'll be fine and hopefully glad you did it!
  • ErinShannon
    ErinShannon Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I had it done in April of 2011 - I had a partial ACL tear and meniscus tear, and something with the plica - can't remember now exactly. Surgery wasn't bad - pain was tolerable. Sadly I ended up having to have another (different part of the body) operated on by the time I was ready for my physical therapy, which meant I couldn't have physical therapy and I ended up re-injuring the knee.
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    It's been a long time (12 years since the last one) but I had it done twice on my right knee when I was 16-18 years old due to loose pieces of cartlidge floating around. Both times I was walking after about 10 days, using a recumbant bike or elliptical trainer after about 2 ish weeks or so.

Long term, my knee is actually doing better than ever even though it's gone through its share of troubles through the years. Like PP said, just follow post op rehab instructions to a T and you should be just fine. :bigsmile:
  • RosscoBoscko
    RosscoBoscko Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Had basically my entire left knee cartalidge removed, as whenever I walked felt like someone was holding a cigarette lighter to my knee. Healed pretty quickly tho took longer to rebuild strength. Careful with twists and turns on it for a good while after. Silly things like getting out of a car in a tight parking space can set of a real shot of pain if twist knee wrong. All fine now though, am back playing rugby, and as long as wear my knee support have no issues with that or strength training.
  • terra32903
    terra32903 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    This sounds like exactly what I had done. I left the hospital on crutches a few hours after I went in (Thursday) . Started PT the next morning. Went back to work on Monday with no crutches using a knee brace. 3 weeks of PT. Back to Spin Class 4 weeks to the day after surgery. One year later I am running 3X a week and spinning 3X a week with no problems. Only time I am even reminded that I had surgery is on rainy days when it tends to ache a bit.

Good luck!
  • unlocke
    unlocke Posts: 149
    Options
    I've had 3 of them so far. Finding the right doctor and doing physical therapy afterwards is the key. The surgery itself is not bad.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Well thanks all, I feel much better. Since I already have shooting pain when I twist my knee funny, soreness from over-exertion, etc., I guess I shouldn't worry too much. Since at least a few times a month it gets bad enough that I fantasize about an above-knee amputation, I don't have much to lose.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Had both open surgery on left knee and arthroscopy (cartilage tidy up and patella laser debridement) on right knee.

Arthroscopy was a walk in the park, no pain, no stitches. At the follow up consultation a week later was doing deep knee bends, lunges and hops with zero pain.