Anyone shopping on Black Friday?

Options
nikig7
nikig7 Posts: 240 Member
Hey guys, this is the first year that I'll be in the US (Miami to be exact) during thanksgiving and I would like to get some shopping done since I heard there are some really great deals...but i'm cautious and trying to plan ahead as much as I can because I simply REFUSE to deal with the kind of madness I've seen on the news and youtube on Black Friday.

Any Black Friday shoppers out there? If you've had the experience before, do you have any advice for a rookie? :ohwell:

Replies

• FitnFabMichelle
    FitnFabMichelle Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm a Black Friday shopper and there's no way to avoid the madness. If you're going out to get the deals then you'll be out with a ton of others as well. If you keep a good attitude and not let the whack-jobs get you down, you will have fun. I usually spend the night/morning just giggling at all the craziness. If you keep a good attitude, it won't be so bad.
  • nikig7
    nikig7 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Thanks Michel. I could see myself getting in a good laugh at the craziness myself! I hope to get in on some good deals but I really don't want to compromise my safety to do so. I heard Walmart can be especially bad and that's one of the places I wanna go to get some stuff!
  • HellsKells
    HellsKells Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Shop online Black Friday sales. Or look at other stores that might have the same type of deal. A few years ago, I bought my laptop on Black Friday, but instead of trying to get in at Best Buy, I actually ended up getting it at Office Max.....for less and with better specs.
  • payupalice
    payupalice Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Two words:

hell. no.

I hide on black friday.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    It depends on the deals...if there's nothing out there that I want this year; forget it. There is no escaping the madness. Plus, the past couple of years I've gotten better deals going around dinner time on Black Friday.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I went last year. NEVER. AGAIN.

The only store that was okay was Old Navy because they set up early Thanksgiving night with all their deals so NO ONE was in the store.
  • HerBravado
    HerBravado Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I shop on Black Friday--I love it. I get a rush from shopping anyway, but the deals are just too awesome to pass up.
    There are a bunch of crazy people, but normally the places I go the people don't really get TOO anxious. It's just really crowded!

I also like Black Monday, I think it's called?
    That's when all the online deals happen, usually with free shipping. :D
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I think I've run out of things to buy.

The Walmart Black Friday sales paper came out this morning. I might buy some Blu Ray Players to give as gifts.
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Me! Me!!

Walmart released their BF Flyer today! XBOX 360 line here I come!

And I am waiting for the crazy Target lady commericials to begin. I love her.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Never been myself, but my family goes. I hear it's best to hit retail outlets, or big stores. Get a lot of shopping done faster.

Get in your zen zone, for sure!!
  • geekpryncess
    geekpryncess Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I'm sleeping in!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    nope. I work in retail and I refuse to encourage the ridiculous behavior. some stores are opening at midnight. that's great, the employees don't get to enjoy thanksgiving dinner with their families or have a glass of wine because they have to get ready for work. It's disgusting the level it's gotten to. I'm lucky I work for a retailer that doesn't believe in it but a lot of my friends will have hellish long hours that day, some of them having to report at 9pm on Thanksgiving. I'm PROUD to say I don't need or want to save a few bucks so badly......
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Not just no, but HELL NO.

If you want really great deals, get all your Christmas shopping done in advance on Labor Day. (For next year, obviously). I've done it two years in a row, and I get amazing deals, esp in department stores like Sears. I usually average out with about twice as much stuff for my money every year.
  • oklanoue
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE shopping on Black Friday even if I don't need to get anything. It is fun to people watch!! The sales actually start "Turkey "Thursday...so far the earliest I have seen is 8 PM Thanksgiving evening...Wal-Mart and Sears...I am sure there are others too I just haven't seent he ads yet. Check out BlackFriday.com

I think at one time K-Mart always had a Thanksgiving day sale too...

Good luck!!! Stay safe...and BE PATIENT!!!
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I look at the sales and then determine... most times my husband and I will go out after 9AM to help some of the crowd, but, just be prepared to

A. Stand outside
    B. Stand in long lines, both to get in and to get to the register
    C. Rude Customers and Employees (they will be cranky)
    D. Have a backup plan if a store does not have the item your looking for
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I prefer to do my grocery shopping (in spite of many leftovers) on black Friday, because all the other stores are packed, leaving the grocery store virtually empty. :drinker:
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Normally I closet myself in my house on Black Friday Unless I HAVE to go out. The deals aren't worth dealing with all the crowds and everything that could go wrong, in my opinion. However, I will be traveling back from cali on Black friday, so hopefully traffic will be nice until I get to town. x.x then I'm heading straight home and not leaving it until the monday after black friday.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Black Friday is good for sales, but don't overlook Small Business Saturday either (the next day). Local stores usually have amazing deals to thank their customers and it helps the community as well. Usually I find that I can get more unique gifts in the smaller stores than the big chains.

Good luck!
  • ls_66
    ls_66 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    wait for Black Monday.... naked online shopping from home is the way to go for me
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    nope. I work in retail and I refuse to encourage the ridiculous behavior. some stores are opening at midnight. that's great, the employees don't get to enjoy thanksgiving dinner with their families or have a glass of wine because they have to get ready for work. It's disgusting the level it's gotten to. I'm lucky I work for a retailer that doesn't believe in it but a lot of my friends will have hellish long hours that day, some of them having to report at 9pm on Thanksgiving. I'm PROUD to say I don't need or want to save a few bucks so badly......

I agree with this.

Black Friday isn't fair to any of the employees.