Food Weight

I am starting to weigh some of my food to try to get more exact measurements. My question is do you weigh them before or after cooking them? Do you cook your meat and then weigh it? Same with pasta? Rice?

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    usually the nutrition facts are for the raw product, but the cooked nutrition facts can usually be found as well.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Most foods are weighed before cooking unless it says otherwise. I find it to be far more accurate and less messy.
  • I am starting to weigh some of my food to try to get more exact measurements. My question is do you weigh them before or after cooking them? Do you cook your meat and then weigh it? Same with pasta? Rice?

Just posted this same question.......Usually pasta and rice I always measure it after....meat is what I am curious about......I know meat shrinks when you cook it but not sure if it looses it's "weight" I am going to experiment that tonight.......
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    I am starting to weigh some of my food to try to get more exact measurements. My question is do you weigh them before or after cooking them? Do you cook your meat and then weigh it? Same with pasta? Rice?

Just posted this same question.......Usually pasta and rice I always measure it after....meat is what I am curious about......I know meat shrinks when you cook it but not sure if it looses it's "weight" I am going to experiment that tonight.......

Generally speaking, if the nutrition facts say 4oz it's talking about raw, 3oz is referring to cooked
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Look for a listing that specifies raw or cooked. Rice for example: most rice is 150 calories for 1/4 cup dry. If I cook it the way I like it the rice absorbs a lot more water than if you cook it al dente so the calories cooked would vary. Same with meat, if you cook your meat to shoe leather more water weight is lost than if I cook mine rare. If you use the raw weight then it all starts out equal.
  • mulderpf
    mulderpf Posts: 209 Member
    For the most accurate results, use raw weights. Cooking introduces too many variables - pasta and rice absorbs different amounts of water depending on the way it's been cooked and water evaporates differently from meat depending on the exact temperature and method of cooking. One grilled chicken breast could vary greatly from another, but tends to be closer to measure when you measure raw weight.