Faster Weightloss ?

Options
On average I seem to be losing 1.5 lbs. a week. I would like to see that number go up. My goal is to lose 10 lbs a month. Any suggestions ? My diary is public so feel free to have a look see...LOL !
I'm open to all comments and suggestions. Don't be shy, lemme have it !

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    1.5 lbs a week is fantastic. Don't get greedy, you'll end up messing yourself up.

One day you'll wish you could lose that quickly again.
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Really, 1.5 lbs /week is great! If you try to lose it too fast, you have a higher chance of gaining it back. We all would like it to go faster trust me. But I don't know of any HEALTHY ways to do so. Eat right, Excercise. It will happen as it is meant to.

Also, I just checked your diary. First thing is that I would get rid of the KFC. Unless you are eating the rotissary chicken, which I don't even know if they have any more, its not good for you. The rotissary has lots of sodium at that you need to be aware of as well. Eat more veggies, they are low calorie.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    It seems there are two main versions of weight loss strategies--fast and slow. With fast, the weight comes off quickly but doesn't usually stay off. These are yoyo diets. With slow, you have time to learn new habits and skills and are more likely to be able to keep the weight off. Then there is the matter of baggy skin...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    1.5 lbs a week is fantastic. Don't get greedy, you'll end up messing yourself up.

This...

Fast weight loss also equates to muscle loss. BTW, once you get closer, it will slow down even more. If you expect higher weight loss, you will just set yourself up for failure.
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary, with a gentle intention here are my thoughts. I assume you are eating fast food because you work and have a short lunch break. Maybe you could bring something healthier from home at least 2 days a week. The choices you make will lead to a down fall after you have lost the weight, you don't want to work this hard just to gain it back. I do not eat what is considered a healthy diet either so I am not judging you. I have been on here about a month and I am losing and average of 2 pounds a month. The difference I see (but I only went back about a week on your diary) is that I don't see any exercise. I don't think that you should cut anymore calories out of your diet but if you worked out you would be able to burn more calories. I eat to have a deficet of 1.5 pounds but I exercise off calories that give me an average of 500 calories a day which accounts for the extra 1/2 pound. ( I eat back some calories on some days). That is the reason I am losing 2 pounds a week. Just a thought.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    On average I seem to be losing 1.5 lbs. a week. I would like to see that number go up. My goal is to lose 10 lbs a month. Any suggestions ? My diary is public so feel free to have a look see...LOL !
    I'm open to all comments and suggestions. Don't be shy, lemme have it !

If your goal is 2000 calories then you have to EAT it. You have hit it 1 day in 3 weeks that I looked. I know it's 'crazy' thinking that you have to EAT to lose weight but you do... When you start out bigger you naturally need more calories to function, even if you don't exercise at all you will need more calories just to pump your heart ;)

When you go for long periods not eating enough then your body eventually 'adjusts' and compensates for the lack of energy it is being fed by instigating a metabolic slow down. The slower your metabolism is the longer it takes to lose weight. The more time you hit plateaus the more you try to exercise then eat less.

When you have @100 lbs to lose you should be losing 2lbs / week almost not even trying. Eat your calories - you got them for a reason ;) If you consider how many calories you were eating to maintain your weight I guarantee you its WAY MORE than 2000 calories - just think about what you used to eat in a day and try to ballpark it, you will see.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I would try revamping your diet. Eat about 1500 calories a day, get AT LEAST 5 servings of veggies (not corn or potatos and not all carrots), and try to walk for at least 30 minutes most days. The walks can be fun family time and you can take kids to local stores or parks.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    It takes 9 months to have a baby. Any way to speed that up?
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options

This...

Fast weight loss also equates to muscle loss. BTW, once you get closer, it will slow down even more. If you expect higher weight loss, you will just set yourself up for failure.

This this and this.
  • dezu73
    Options
    After looking at your diary I would say cut out the KFC and Burger King. Replace it with healthier options, salads, grilled chicken, turkey, veggies, etc. I noticed you don't watch sodium. I would add that. It's important for your health, and salt adds to water retention, which adds to weight. With that said, drink more water...I always do a minimum of half my body weight in ounces, usually I drink a lot more than that. My body tells me when I am slacking on water. Treat yourself occassionally, but cut the fast food out on such a regualer basis, and get more exercise. Walking, even yard work, taking the kids skating and skating with them, the point is to just be active. I hope this helps. The great part is you care and want to do more for yourself. Good for you!
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    After looking at your diary I would say cut out the KFC and Burger King. Replace it with healthier options, salads, grilled chicken, turkey, veggies, etc. I noticed you don't watch sodium. I would add that. It's important for your health, and salt adds to water retention, which adds to weight. With that said, drink more water...I always do a minimum of half my body weight in ounces, usually I drink a lot more than that. My body tells me when I am slacking on water. Treat yourself occassionally, but cut the fast food out on such a regualer basis, and get more exercise. Walking, even yard work, taking the kids skating and skating with them, the point is to just be active. I hope this helps. The great part is you care and want to do more for yourself. Good for you!

I noticed that... If you're losing 1.5 pounds a week eating KFC and Burger King... It's really easy to fix that. Not that 1.5 lbs is a small amount. That's a lot. I seem to only be able to lose 1/2 a pound once a month--- if I'm lucky!
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I agree with the general consensus here... maybe some better food choices. Again, without judgement, your diet seems to include a lot of fast food and not much veggies/fruits at all. In fact, in just looking at about a week's worth of entries, I think I saw one salad. You may not be consuming A LOT of calories, but it is the quality of cals you are taking in that may be hindering weight loss. I do have to say though, 1.5 lbs a week is pretty good! But you could get it up to 2lbs a week with some minor tweaks, I;m sure.
    I think getting rid of fast food is the first change to make. IF you MUST have it, try to keep it to once a week- more of a 'treat', than the norm. Try to bring your lunch each day- it's so much better for you AND as an added benefit - it saves money!! TAke time on Sunday and grill up some boneless, skinless chicken breasts - save them in a tupperware. Throw together a big bowl of greens like spinach, kale, chard, romaine. Throw some broccoli or bell pepper, onion, carrots in. Now you've got a few days worth of salads ready, or make a big bowl of rice and alternate, chicken over rice one day, grilled chicken salad another. Have some small tortillas on hand- use some of your salad mixture and chicken- make a wrap. If you take 30 minutes of prep in the kitchen PRIOR to the busy work week- it pays off during the week. It's all about PLANNING! You have to PLAN to eat right. If you dont plan, you end up running thru the drive thru, or making bad food choices at home ("I'll just grab these chips and a frozen meal for dinner").

And lastly- I'd try to add in some exercise. If you bring your lunch from home and can eat at your desk while you work-- maybe you can use your lunch break to take a quick walk around the block? Even just 15 mins at a very brisk pace, coupled with some better food choices - I bet you'll see that scale number drop a little faster!!

Good luck to you!!!
  • adk88
    adk88 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    It takes 9 months to have a baby. Any way to speed that up?

Great way of looking at it!
  • thecapaccino
    Options
    Eating FAST FOOD , as others have mentioned, is the worst thing you could do. You , I hope, want to CHANGE your life and how you eat while losing weight. Otherwise, you will have to keep trying to bring "sexy back" because you will get fatter again.

It is NOT just the weight, but how you eat.

Anyone can lose weight, but it takes WORK and DISCIPLINE to keep it off.

Looking nice and sexy is great, but let that be nice and sexy INSIDE and OUT.

DO try to cut out KFC and Burger King as only treats. As a mother of 3, when you prepare the meals for the kids, make a little extra for lunch leftovers. That way you dont have to cook twice.

The amount of money you spend eating out, you could probably stop at the local grocery store and get some vegetables, salad and bring back to work. Leave stuff in the office fridge is there is one.

There are a thousand tricks.....IF you want to really CHANGE as well LOSE WEIGHT.
    Good luck to you!
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I noticed that... If you're losing 1.5 pounds a week eating KFC and Burger King... It's really easy to fix that. Not that 1.5 lbs is a small amount. That's a lot. I seem to only be able to lose 1/2 a pound once a month--- if I'm lucky!

When you have more to lose you lose it faster..2 lbs a week is NOT fast for someone with almost 100lbs to lose. It's actually slower than I have seen and experienced myself. Your loss WILL slow down as you get closer to goal- that's normal. If you under eat you stall that's also simple.

When 'thinner' people don't eat enough people freak out OMG EAT EAT but when a heavier person is having the SAME problem people say..OMG SLOW DOWN.. smh

IF you DON'T EAT at least your BMR you will lose slower - that works regardless of how much you have to lose. If you calculate the BMR of a 39 yr old female weighing 310 lbs - even a short one, it's OVER 2k so people saying eat less need to do math. The science does not change just because the OP starts out bigger.
  • Fat2Fit145
    Fat2Fit145 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    i think 1.5 is great.... but if you wanna increase it, it may be good to cut out stuff like kfc and burger king (viewed yesterdays diary).... try eating clean, im sure it will boost your weight loss... but i really think 1.5 a week is awesome... and u're still having foods u like.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    1.5 lbs a week is good but for more you need to move more and eat more veggies. Buy some small sweet peppers you can eat those raw or cooked. Also try making your lunch the night before like a tuna sandwich. If you have access to a microwave get some healthy soups. Switch the chicken to grilled breast then you can have a larger portion and ditch one of the protein shakes. Make your own chocolate drink with 1 tablespoon cocoa 1 packet of stevia in 12-16 oz water (20 cals of deliciousness):wink:
  • tdbad1
    tdbad1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My b/f used to take deli meat sandwichesto work all the time, which contributed to his gaining weight. we switched to making our own roast beef,pork and chicken at home. easy enough to do. pre package and freeze it. now he has "fresh" real meat sandwiches and it has helped his BP and cholesterol #s.
    If you do nothing else, I would suggest doing this simply cause im frightened that all the KFC etc is harming your heart. Please take care.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Also, as other said, cutting out fast food will help in terms of reducing sodium. Once you reduce sodium you will store less water. Also, adding fruits and veggies will help in providing healthy carbs for more energy. And make sure you are eating enough calories. You are significantly eating less than your current metabolic rate and that will cause your body to adapt over time and it will burn less calories. If MFP is suggesting 2000 calories, it would be recommended to eat closer to that.
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    As others have said don't push too hard.

Of course you want to be healthy but watch how deep your deficit is.

I was losing 1-2 lbs pretty regular and I decided I was going to step it up. Between exercise and diet cuts I was averaging a 1500 a day deficit. I thought this would speed up the weight loss and it did the complete opposite. My weight loss stopped. I was so frustrated and I was hungry and I was so tired and sore of all the exercise. I went back to a 750ish a day deficit and went back to an hour of exercise in the morning and the weight just started coming off again. I know that 1.5 doesn't seem like a lot but week after week it stacks up. I am not a patient person but it truly is a virtue, especially in weight loss.

All the best! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: