Anyone shopping on Black Friday?

Options

Replies

• chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    You bet! Been going for as long as I can remember - probably 20 years. I go alone because everyone thinks it's nuts. This year my kids - 13 & 15 - want to go, too. The key is don't have your heart set on any of those unbelievable deals unless you want to stand in line 6 hrs early to get one of the five or ten they have in stock. At least that's how I look at it. I don't take a list or "PLAN" to buy anything special. The environment is fun (aside from the crazy people pushing you when you're in line somewhere and the doors finally open); for me it means "Christmas is here" - I love the music that's always playing & most people are happy. I can't wait!
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I read an article recently that indicated that procrastinators actually get the best deals. If you're willing to wait until about 10 days before Christmas, you will save money compared to shopping on black Friday.

Of course, you have to live with the risk that certain items might not be in stock - and as much as I want to be done EARLY - I will wait for some of the things I need to purchase - like toys for the kids.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    wait for Black Monday.... naked online shopping from home is the way to go for me

I need brain bleach.
  • sohi_firefly
    Options
    Shop online Black Friday sales. Or look at other stores that might have the same type of deal. A few years ago, I bought my laptop on Black Friday, but instead of trying to get in at Best Buy, I actually ended up getting it at Office Max.....for less and with better specs.

YES! Online shopping for Black Friday is the way to go!
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Black Friday

Because only in America, people trample over others for sales exactly one day after being thankful for what they already have.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Nope... I value my life more than a big screen tv.... besides black friday is largely a myth... yeah, you might be able to snag a great deal here and there... but you're lucky... stores typically have a couple of big ticket items (and really not very many of them) deeply discounted and just make it look like everything is already discounted knowing people will buy it because they are already there.

Yeah, totally not worth it to me.... but if you want to do it... go for it. It's an experience to say the least.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Black Friday

Because only in America, people trample over others for sales exactly one day after being thankful for what they already have.

That's a good point!
    & oh so true..
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    nope. I work in retail and I refuse to encourage the ridiculous behavior. some stores are opening at midnight. that's great, the employees don't get to enjoy thanksgiving dinner with their families or have a glass of wine because they have to get ready for work. It's disgusting the level it's gotten to. I'm lucky I work for a retailer that doesn't believe in it but a lot of my friends will have hellish long hours that day, some of them having to report at 9pm on Thanksgiving. I'm PROUD to say I don't need or want to save a few bucks so badly......

I agree with this.

Black Friday isn't fair to any of the employees.

I used to be a manager at Sbarro in the mall (who doesn't even offer the sales, just sells the food)
    We had to be open for 72 hours straight. And we extremely understaffed. We make everything fresh in the store; YES including the dough, so needless to say, Sbarro employees at our location didn't have a Thanksgiving.
  • nikig7
    nikig7 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    wait for Black Monday.... naked online shopping from home is the way to go for me

:laugh:
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    nope. I work in retail and I refuse to encourage the ridiculous behavior. some stores are opening at midnight. that's great, the employees don't get to enjoy thanksgiving dinner with their families or have a glass of wine because they have to get ready for work. It's disgusting the level it's gotten to. I'm lucky I work for a retailer that doesn't believe in it but a lot of my friends will have hellish long hours that day, some of them having to report at 9pm on Thanksgiving. I'm PROUD to say I don't need or want to save a few bucks so badly......

I agree with this.

Black Friday isn't fair to any of the employees.

I used to be a manager at Sbarro in the mall (who doesn't even offer the sales, just sells the food)
    We had to be open for 72 hours straight. And we extremely understaffed. We make everything fresh in the store; YES including the dough, so needless to say, Sbarro employees at our location didn't have a Thanksgiving.

See, that's just dumb.

I hate Black Friday, for that reason.
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Black Friday

I am American and I approve this message !
  • nikig7
    nikig7 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up....I think I will actually do some shopping online to avoid some of the drama and will probably visit a few stores for the "experience" (and to get a good laugh :laugh: ). Re the online shopping, should I get the items and just save them in my cart to check out on black friday?
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Hubz & I did it once several years ago to get a flat screen monitor for our computer.. yea, not ever again! We had gone to a shopping center that had just been built so not many people knew they were open yet & it was still crazy!! If you're OK with crowds & playing cut-throat, you'll love the experience, but if you're a more quiet, down-home type, you'll despise it (I live in Florida, so we may be worst than most!).

On the other hand, my Baby Sis & Mum go every year & they always get great stuff... then again, Baby Sis is cut-throat & doesn't care & uses her perfect Barbie Doll body to get what she wants for her & my Mum... I just can't stoop that low for "stuff" (I can squat pretty low though, but that's thanx to constant exercise - lol!).

If you go, just know it's crazy, people don't care about others and you may be waiting a LONG time in line before the stores open (often times someone goes through the line taking "orders" for their hot items so u need to get there VERY early if you want to get what they advertise!)

Good Luck no matter what you decide!
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Black Friday

So eloquently worded!!
  • ericaknight95
    ericaknight95 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I've never gone, but this year I work in retail, so I'm forced to work Black Friday. My shift starts at midnight and I get off work at 9 in the morning. I have to report to work at 11:30 pm, which means I will not be able to enjoy Thanksgiving with my family. I am not looking forward to it, at all.
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Black Friday! I LOVE BLACK FRIDAY!!!!
    & i like to watch the crazies out there start first fighting! But, it never happens when I'm there! :/
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I shop on black Friday every year.

If you're going to do it, go to Target. They form lines and let people in slowly (no trampling or madness) and last year they gave tickets to the first 15 people or something for a $200 46in tv. I was the last person in line to get one :P
    Show up a few hours early, bring a kindle or laptop or something and just relax. It's a long wait.

ETA: I went to Walmart once. It was NUTS. Everybody was ripping stuff open before it was even 12 and had their carts filled like an hour early. People fought over $1 towels. No, seriously. Fought.
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    My fiance claims he is dragging me to Best Buy this year, even though there is NOTHING we need. Yet to convince me.

I've worked in retail way too much to enjoy it myself. Last year I worked from 3AM-3PM selling guns and sporting goods stuff. I was a literal zombie by the time I got out and barely remember that night. It sucked, soo bad. This year I'm out of retail and will most likely avoid all stores all day!! (Unless I get dragged to Best Buy...in which I will shortly return to my warm bed)
  • conraj74
    conraj74 Posts: 182
    Options
    No way!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I can totally feel people having to work on Black Friday... I worked at a food joint not even at the mall/shopping centers and it was pandemonium the day after Thanksgiving... I can't even imagine what it's like AT the mall...