Totally Random - For the Moms and Dads

Options
terrappyn
terrappyn Posts: 324 Member
I have a baby shower this weekends and my questions What is the one things that you wish you had received at your baby shower? Or the one thing that you received that you never would have thought of but glad someone else did?

Thanks!

Replies

• x__chrissy__x
    Options
    Coupons for free babysitting!!! I had a shower and got some of those along with my gift from a my sister-in-law. BEST present ever. I actually used them!!! :)
  • laural007
    laural007 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    One of the shopping cart covers for the baby
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I got tons of diapers *loved*
    Way too much baby bath and lotion. The little guys are tiny, it doesn't take much!
    Nice, big, soft receiving blankets (not the small cheap ones) are great!
    The rest is kind of a blur as I was admitted to the hospital with pre-eclampsia the next day :p
  • hg5159
    hg5159 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Don't get blankets. I got a TON of blankets and it was such a waste.

My biggest advice is to buy stuff from the registry. So many people wanted to get or make cute things like blankets for the baby, that I didn't get the essentials that we truly needed. Barely anything on my registry was purchased. While I appreciated each and every gift. I couldn't return 10 homemade blankets to get the things I needed, KWIM? So I will always and forever buy off the registry - the things on there are the things the parent NEEDS and put on the list for a reason. :)
  • terrappyn
    Options
    Thanks!! I usually do a couple of boxes of larger sized diapers but I feel like that so boring. Or I do a laundry basket of outfits hung on a clothes line so its a one shot deal when you pull it out but I wait much too long to do that!
  • whitneyas
    whitneyas Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    While I am not a mother we have started discussing starting a family in the next year... so I am always reading about baby stuff :) This blog I read has a great list of registry things that she considers a must have :) Have fun! http://littlebabygarvin.blogspot.com/2012/10/baby-registry-must-haves_25.html
  • rachelmorgan77
    rachelmorgan77 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, every person is different. I could have done without the shopping cart cover, but I LOVED the swaddle blankets I got - and the nurses loved them too. Diapers are a good idea, but you'll have to know if they're doing cloth or disposable. There's a big trend to go back to cloth diapers now. I agree with the bath products - you way too many - and with my kids they had sensitive skin so we had to use Burts Bees so the Johnson & Johnsons were useless! The best bet is to go off a registry or ask the mommy to be if you can.

If you can get a few of you to go in together, big items are nice to recieve like a high chair, exersaucer, etc. Mom might not use it til later, but you already have it when they're ready for it.
  • madworld1
    Options
    All I know is, the "Diaper Genie" sucked. That was 11 years ago, so they may be better now. But, it was useless back then.
  • terrappyn
    Options
    Unfortunately, every person is different. I could have done without the shopping cart cover, but I LOVED the swaddle blankets I got - and the nurses loved them too. Diapers are a good idea, but you'll have to know if they're doing cloth or disposable. There's a big trend to go back to cloth diapers now. I agree with the bath products - you way too many - and with my kids they had sensitive skin so we had to use Burts Bees so the Johnson & Johnsons were useless! The best bet is to go off a registry or ask the mommy to be if you can.

If you can get a few of you to go in together, big items are nice to recieve like a high chair, exersaucer, etc. Mom might not use it til later, but you already have it when they're ready for it.

She's 21 so Im thinking cloth diapers are out. lol The Burts Bees is a good idea. :) Thanks!
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    when in doubt buy off the registry, give a gift card or make sure you have a gift receipt. Diapers are not boring, but as was pointed out many are using cloth again. I know I used swaddlers when they were still pooping meconium and then switched over to cloth.

I agree that lotions/soaps, blankets and cute, but possibly useless outfits are highly over rated and over given. which sounds selfish or rude but if it is not something they can use then why give it? small diaper bag type toys are something you can buy and use to either *cute * up your package or even card.

so many things are so subjective to the parent that it is just best to keep it simple.
  • HayleyHat
    Options
    Worst things we received were tons of disposable diapers/wet wipes (I was 21 myself and know tons of young mums using cloth?), bottles when we intended to breastfeed, and millions of chemical-laden bath products.
    Soooo many people said to us "I know you'll probably get loads of newborn clothes, so we bought some bigger stuff" - so many people that we actually didn't get any little clothes at all, and only had stuff she couldn't wear for at least six months.

Best things were vouchers/cash, cot sheets and sleeping bags, and some really fab stuffed toys that she still loves 2 years later. My work put their cash together and bought us a baby monitor.
    I would've loved some gentle and/or eco-friendly bath products, and funky cloth nappies or accessories as everyone knew we were going to use it.

My daughter wasn't particularly sicky, but muslin sick clothes are always useful and you can get them in great colours.
  • Ivey05131980
    Ivey05131980 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Gift cards, diapers and wipes are ALWAYS great...also diapers in the bigger sizes are nice, like 3-4 for later on...I LOVE doing gift baskets and filling it up with goodies!
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    *More diapers in sz 2 or 3 (newborn and 1's go to waste)
    *Medicine (baby tylenol, gas relief, etc)
    * Teething tablets (NOT orajel)
    * Lavender bath wash
    * Gift cards
  • Tannedtiffers
    Tannedtiffers Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Wipe Warmer....best invention ever.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    A live in nanny.
  • Melissajo44
    Melissajo44 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    GIFT CARDS!!!!
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    All I know is, the "Diaper Genie" sucked. That was 11 years ago, so they may be better now. But, it was useless back then.

It worked great for us.
  • madworld1
    Options

It worked great for us.

Great to hear. It just made my house smell like *kitten*.
  • Countryboy_
    Options
    Gift cards are awesome. When my son was born, everyone we knew bought us little hooded towels. I still use them to wash my truck 15 years later. WE had enough to stock a baby bed-nn-bath store. Give gift certificates. Preferably to Home Depot.
  • JBott84
    JBott84 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I say gift cards also, to get what you don't get at the shower. Also at my shower one person got ME a gift - Mommy Gift! Made me feel special.