Question: Do you wash bananas?

Options

Replies

• HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Well, I'll first be practical, I don't think I've ever eaten a banana right BEFORE my lunch. But I guess that's not the point. Any fruit that I will be eating the skin, I always wash, but Deedee, if you only knew how much rat feces and urine that the average American eats, you wouldn't worry about urine it on the skin anyway. Essentially Urine is sterile anyway, what you want to worry about is the feces, that's what carries the bad stuff. The only thing you can get from rat urine (or any animal for that matter ) is leptospirosis, and generally, the leptospirosis dies when the urine drys, it doesn't last very long in open air (a couple of minutes). Your more likely to get lepto from splashing in a puddle that a diseased rat peed into than from a banana that was peed on, on a cargo ship, FAAAAR more likely, and generally it's not a highly dangerous disease anyway (usually minor aches and chills, that goes away on their own).

You're far more likely to get the flu from the person next to you in the grocery store when you bought the banana's then from anything ON the bananas (or most fruits).

So I mean, YES wash fruit and anything consumed raw or unheated past 170 degrees Fahrenheit (the temp at which most bacteria dies), but don't obsess about it.

ah the obsess about it part...... that's what I began to do when I started reading and watching more and I had to simply accept that there are to many things to keep track of and I had to stop obsessing, it's easy to slide over to that side for me.

Gonna grab a 1/2 banana to take to the gym with me this morning., partly why I wont' watch the video!:noway: :huh: :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    This reminds me of an email I once received about how a woman died after drinking a can of soda. She died because rats had peed on the can. Although I always wash my fruits and veggies and wipe cans, from the very few times I've eaten bananas, I haven't washed them...but it doesn't matter for me. I absolutely detest bananas. They are disgusting *puke

darn it, I knew I should have eaten before I started reading the threads! :yawn: :wink: :noway:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Are you eating the peels? Are you not washing your hands regularly? Then what's on the outside of a banana really doesn't matter....
    Scenerio: The average person washes their hands before lunch. They sit down to eat lunch. Lunch includes a banana. They peel banana with hands, and eat banana. They then eat sandwich with hands. They then eat carrot sticks with hands.

I surmise that the average person does not get up BETWEEN the banana and sandwich and carrot sticks to wash their hands. Get rat pee on your hands during the banana peeling, and it is with you through the entire lunch. Ditto for your kids. Send them to school with pee contaminated food, and see if they get up to wash after peeling the banana, and before the rest of the meal.

What is on the outside of food DOES MATTER. But to each their own, I guess, when it comes to what they put into their bodies.
    \

ah and what about lettuce/salad type items, we better not get started on that, I'm having a yummy salad for lunch with a hardboiled egg. EEK

I know the stories on lettuce and such picked in the fields but again, I can obsses and so I have to simple do the best I can and be smart about it but not think to deep or I'd stop drinking my water as well. nah nah nah nah! Don't tell me about water! :glasses: :laugh:

Have a great day all! :drinker: :drinker:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    I see I've now become obssesed about posting on this thread .....:noway: :ohwell: :wink:
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I'm not going to wash the video because stuff like thats makes me actually lose my appetite for a few days to weeks. (I'm not exaggerating.)

That being said, I wash everything! Especially in the top of the bananas where they all connect. I have a fruit scrub brush and I scrub. Rat pee was never the reason. Flies and other insects can lay eggs/larva in there. I don't want that hatching in my fruit bowl. I had a major fruit fly situation here and just recently a carpet beetle infestation. (BTW, I don't have a single carpet in my house. They came from the grocery store.) I've seen spiders and flies in even the biggest chain grocery stores. I've also seen birds that somehow get into Meijers and they can't get them out. They obviously eat, pee, and poop somewhere while they are flying around up there. Not to mention the hands of the workers who place the produce in the bins, the bins are not washed, stuff falls on the floor and is put back in the bin.....

The only thing I don't go crazy over is homegrown stuff. If your food is coming from healthy soil, there are good nutrients in the soil, you don't have to worry about pesticides or herbicides, or how long it was sitting out. A quick rinse is good, but that is stuff I can eat straight from the garden. Honestly, I think that is the best solution to the contamination problem. If we grow most of our own, we don't need to worry about all that stuff. (Samonella and e.coli in vegetables? Thats just plain nasty!)

I don't think I'm obsessive, just conscious of the reality around me. Many people can eat contaminated foods and say they were affected by it. I went to a friends house for dinner to find out he cooked the food before he went to work that morning and it had been sitting on top of the stove all day long. Thats how they do it everyday and none of them ever get sick. I knew I didn't have the tollerance for that. We all have different tolerance levels depending on our level of exposure. I don't deny that exposure is good. You can't shield yourself from everything all the time. But to me, there is a thin line between exposure and just plain nasty.
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Oddly enough, it just never occurred to me to wash a banana...... :huh: ..... but I wash fruits/melons/veggies I chop and peel, funny how some things you just never think of, that just don't cross your radar.... until now! Yes, think twice, but don't obsess..... :drinker: :happy: Guess it can't hurt to wash them or even give them a quick rinse before hanging them on the banana tree..... :bigsmile:
  • vanessadawn
    vanessadawn Posts: 249
    Options
    We dont' have rats in Alberta :)
    But no I don't wash it, it hasn't hurt me yet. Do you know certain foods like peanut butter have a certain percentage of bugs that are allowed to be in the product? You can't avoid all contaminants sorry to say.
  • wolf23
    wolf23 Posts: 4,161 Member
    Options
    Can't say I have ever washed bananas, but I do wash melons and bagged salads even if it says they are prewashed or triple washed. Not sure why :ohwell:
  • deedeehawaii
    deedeehawaii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    The only thing you can get from rat urine (or any animal for that matter ) is leptospirosis,
    Ah yes, lepto. Thus comes the warning from many parents in Hawaii to their kids, "don't put you head below water" when swimming in fresh water.

Just for interest, since the subject came up:
    Leptospirosis occurs worldwide, but it is most commonly acquired in the tropics. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention states 100-200 cases of leptospirosis are reported each year in the United States, with about 50% of cases occurring in Hawaii. From 1999 through 2006, 297 cases of leptospirosis were reported of which 286 were acquired through exposures within the state.Leptospirosis symptoms begin from two to 25 days after initial direct exposure to the urine or tissue of an infected animal. This can even occur via contaminated soil or water. Mortality rates for severe illness with leptospirosis can range from 5%-40%, depending on the severity of organ dysfunction and the patient's general health prior to infection.
  • deedeehawaii
    Options
    The only thing I don't go crazy over is homegrown stuff.
    Hawaii also, besides lepto, has rat lung disease. Home grown veggies (especially lettuce) need to be throughly washed, so that tiny infected slugs (a host) are not ingested. From our Dept of Health:
    Do not eat raw or undercooked snails or slugs. If you handle snails or slugs, wear gloves and wash your hands.
    Do not eat raw foods contaminated with snails or slugs. Wash produce completely, and boil snails, prawns, fish, and crabs for at least 3-5 minutes.

Another reason I wash all fruits and vegetables. Maybe I'm overly sensitive to the dangers due to living in a tropical climate, and hearing reports of lepto, rat lung disease, etc Then, seeing the video of the rats in the Hawaii market .... it is enough to make me turn on that rinse water!!! YIKES.

Of course, all areas have their problems. Such as, mainland states have problems with cow feces being washed into farmlands during rains, bring diseases.

Wash fruits and vegetables, to minimize exposure. Soooooo simple. :bigsmile:
  • bukozki
    bukozki Posts: 60
    Options
    I'll start worrying about where rats pee when human men start washing their hands after handling their bits and pieces.

I always wash my hands, but there are guys out there who just don't feel like their downstairs danglers are dirty.

There is people urine everywhere, mostly thanks to men.
  • confuseacat
    confuseacat Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Working and living around men most of my life I tend to agree!:sick: I think dirty bananas are the least of my worries. If you have ever worked in a restraunt and are sqeemish you wouldn't ever eat out again. Do you think they all wash the friut or even lettuce for your salads? Not likely from what I have seen. BTW when I worked at a school cafeteria we were required to wash all fruits and veg that were given to the kids raw.. including bananas and oranges. That was the cleanest food environment I was ever a part of. Bland food but it was clean.
  • byHisgrace
    byHisgrace Posts: 175
    Options
    Yes, I always wash bananas, as well as every other fruit and veggie that passes through my kitchen. For me, it's not something I obsess over, it's just become habit.

Cantaloupe is another BIG one that people don't think to wash, and probably should. The skin of the melon is a wonderful place for bacteria and other ickys to get comfortable in. When you run a knife through it, you can drag those ickys through your entire fruit.

In the United States alone, there are approximately 76 million cases of food-bourne illness every year. Roughly 5000 of those cases result in death. Yes, we live in a dirty world, no it's not healthy to be paranoid and obsessive about germs, but taking 5 seconds to wash any piece of fruit could save you a lot of misery. Even a mild case of food poisoning isn't fun.
  • Mom2PAK
    Mom2PAK Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've always been confused about washing fruits/veg. I know many people consider washing as running the item under water and wiping it. This gets rid of any dirt and other particles on the outside but it doesn't kill any germs. For those who are concerned about contaminated food, what are you using to wash everything? Do you actually use soap?
  • deedeehawaii
    Options
    Do you actually use soap?
    No, the soap can leave an undesirable residue. Just a good scrubbing under fresh water will usually do the trick. It is just a simple, fast, easy to do process that can reduce (if not eliminate) contaminants.

This tread is interesting, there are so many beliefs about food safety. And the point about the number of cases of food-bourne is valid. You know what, I've read that many people who think they have the "flu", actually are suffering from mild case of food poisoning.

And the comment about men washing (or not) their hands .... you want to see gross, there are WOMEN who use the restroom and then literally allow a slight stream of water to sprinkle their fingertips and think that is washing. The whole issue of handwashing is another scary topic. Although, it does tie in here, because those same dirty-handed people could be the farm worker that handles your food, or the produce man in the store that handles your food, or the cashier. All the more reason to wash your fruits and vegetables at home before you put them away or use them.

Yes, I know about restaurants. I've worked in more than one. :) But, the fact that restaurant food can be nasty is still not a reason for me to not try to protect my family's food at home. I just have to keep my family's health in mind, and take that minute to wash things before I serve it to them. I love having a healthy family.
  • crapattack
    Options
    i don't bother because you're not eating the skin, but i've also been known to not wash apples ><
  • Tri_Dad
    Tri_Dad Posts: 1,465
    Options
    l'll start washing bananas as soon as I start eating banana peels. lol
    What doesnt kill you, makes you stronger.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I don't wash my bananas. I peel them. Of course, I'm the type of person that if I find a hair in my food, I seperate it out and keep on eating.
  • deedeehawaii
    Options
    i don't bother because you're not eating the skin ><
    Yes, that is a common thought. But, watch the video. Then say aloud, "Cross Contamination is when we carry bacteria from one object to another object". Such as from the dirty outside of a fruit, onto your hands, onto the next food that you handle. Just because you are not eating the skin does not mean that it is not contaminating other foods if unwashed. The concept is an eyeopener. The fix is easy. Live healthy everyone! :smile:
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I've never washed my bananas and never even thought to. I guess since I'm a preschool teacher and deal with germs all day, the idea of a dirty banana doesn't exactly scare me.