What do you do when your sick?

Options
So I have been battling cold symptoms for the last 2 days. I worked out last night and felt great afterwords but woke up this morning after a night of tossing and turning just drained. Today is acardio only day for me so I will walk about 2 miles. How do the most of you deal with trying to stay motivated even when sick or just completley drained?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I rest and take care of myself so I don't get more sick and get better faster.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    Zicam, Airborne and rest. Also my coach stresses diet.. as in still making sure you are getting the nutrition you need to help your body fight whatever it is you are dealing with.
  • mrs_schultz2012
    mrs_schultz2012 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I don't work out when I'm sick, I stay home, get rest, and heal up :smile: hope you feel better soon!!
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    This.

If I feel up to it, I go for a walk, but it's a nice, easy walk at a slower pace. Mostly, though, I rest and drink lots of fluids so it goes away ASAP. I also make sure my nutrition is spot-on so my immune system has all the help it needs.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I work out unless I have a fever and literally feel like I've been hit by a truck. For me, being active tends to shorten the length of time I'm sick--especially with a cold.
  • peace_pigeon
    peace_pigeon Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    When it is a cold, I find that working out actually makes me feel a lot better and my cold seems to go away a bit faster. I take lots of emergen c and a good probiotic as well, and those seem to help too. It could all be placebo effect, but it works for me! Hope you feel better soon :)
  • Beewallows
    Beewallows Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I got the flu last Wednesday, and from then until Sunday, I just rested, and tried to eat well. As soon as the symptoms leave my head and muscles, I starting working out again, though it was painful.
  • JohnMessmer
    Options
    I tend to stay drugged and eat next to nothing because I am nearly comatose; may not be the recommended way of going, but it usually results in a nice weigh in day.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I had a cold a couple weeks ago. I stayed home one day from work and rested and got stoned on Theraflu but then went right back to work - and working out - the next day. (Actually I was at the gym the morning I started feeling sick). I had laryngitis and a cough for a while after that but felt fine otherwise, so I just kept running.
  • FluffyNoMore26
    FluffyNoMore26 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thanks, its good to know I am not the only one who still pushes myself to work out a little bit even when sick. Of course I am staying home as to not infect others. It is also nice to have the supporters who say stay home an take care of yourself. Makes me feel less guilty if in case I just can't get the strength to get moving today. I think part of the problem is in my head today because I took nyquil last night and still feeling kind of groggy from it.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I stay home, eat homemade chicken soup with crackers. I use a neti pot 3 times a day, gargle with warm salt water and drink plenty of water. NO DAIRY products when you have a cold, it tends to promote mucus. Also, take vitamins C and D.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

^^^^This
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    So I have been battling cold symptoms for the last 2 days. I worked out last night and felt great afterwords but woke up this morning after a night of tossing and turning just drained. Today is acardio only day for me so I will walk about 2 miles. How do the most of you deal with trying to stay motivated even when sick or just completley drained?

I will take time off. I have trouble finding things that I can eat when I have a cold too, so that's a further challenge for me. I just eat what tastes good/what I can stomach and get back at it when I feel better.
  • jenncdm
    jenncdm Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Calisthenics - think slow ballet and barre movements. Leg lifts, small crunches, squats and plies.
    Slow Yoga - sun salutations (maybe leave out the plank part), deep stretches, lots of child pose
    Stretches can be just as good as working out...and you can never do enough of them.
    I agree with the salt water gargle...I would also recommend the saline nasal rinse. It's a miracle worker!
    Next time get the Zicam going early so you don't get a cold at all.
    Feel better! :smile:
  • johnny059qn
    johnny059qn Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I asked my Doctor this same question a week ago. I have been nursing a cold.

She said that rest and fluids are comfort measures for a cold(viral).

My exercise would not make it worse and may help.

So, either comfort your self. Or find the motivation to work out. You will be fine either way.

I did 5 spin classes and rode my bike 62 miles that week and I'm feeling better this week.