"You Suck!" to "Great Job" confusion

It's really interesting to read the forums sometimes. The contradictions are hilarious.

Some one can post a question in Exercise and Fitness like, "How can I lose 22 lbs in 2 months to reach a goal for an event, then go back to my normal 'slow and steady wins the race' plan of 2 lbs a week?" and there are a string posts IMMEDIATELY along the lines of "OMG!! You're going to die an un-natural death of pain and agony! Your skin will be so loose it will fall down to your toes and you won't be able to fit in your shoes anymore!!!! You'll go into starvation mode and you're mother will dis-own you and God will kill kittens if you lose that fast!!! OMG!! :sad: The horror!! The horror!!:sad: "

Then, on the same day or just days apart, someone can post in Success Stories, "I lost 145 lbs in 4 months! Lots of pics!!!" and their post is greeted with, "Wow!!! Amazing job!! Great dedication!!! How'd you do it?? You should write a book and go on a health tour and open a gym and get a TV show!! You are my inspiration!! I'm taping a picture of you on my refrigerator to remind to me be as awesome as you!!! And another picture in my car and as my wallpaper and background on my computer and cell phone. I want to be you!!! Will you have my children so they can have the awesome weight loss gene and never have to deal with the fat gene that I have???? Please??? :flowerforyou: I think I'm in love with you!!! :love: :heart: " but no one says anything about how they lost around 9 lbs a week and how "unhealthy" that is.

It's almost comical the way people are. Almost. Sort of. Well....

Not really.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Probably not the same people making both comments.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Yep, that's why I don't post in those threads - just shake your head and walk away :P

The 'big losers' will be back here next year complaining they gained it all back. As far as dropping weight fast for an event, I don't see a big deal about it when the person is just looking for a kick start and realizes that it's not the safest/best way to go about it.

Funny the responses are usually determined by the situation ie. someone wants to lose weight fast for a medical weigh in vs. someone who just wants to get into a dress for a reunion or something..The first reason seems to be more 'acceptable' - for some..unknown reason.
  • Too funny but pretty accurate!:laugh:
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    The devil is in the details, they say, which sometimes I don't double check.
  • WaxMama
    WaxMama Posts: 369 Member
    Hysterical. And true :laugh:
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Uh. Sit back. Relax. Enjoy the show.
    :)
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member

^^^This was my first thought as well. Although, I will admit to laughing at your description of the posts. People do get overly dramatic on both sides of the issue.
  • mamaward64
    mamaward64 Posts: 143 Member
    So true, that is why I only read and don't post topics on the message boards. I save it for my groups or freind feed.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    I think it also has to do with the whole "spilled milk" type of thing.

If they have already lost all that weight and they did it too fast or poorly....why bash them now? They will figure it out and their time was already spent doing it. Great job on the loss and move on.

If they have not started yet, and are asking for advice, warn them of what could happen if they went down that road. At that point you can be preventative.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    "Wow!!! Amazing job!! Great dedication!!! How'd you do it?? You should write a book and go on a health tour and open a gym and get a TV show!! You are my inspiration!! I'm taping a picture of you on my refrigerator to remind to me be as awesome as you!!! And another picture in my car and as my wallpaper and background on my computer and cell phone. I want to be you!!! Will you have my children so they can have the awesome weight loss gene and never have to deal with the fat gene that I have???? Please??? :flowerforyou: I think I'm in love with you!!! :love: :heart: "

These are also the people who think they can get pregnant orally and are willing to swallow as much as possible to attempt to become impregnated.
    They probably also fall for the trick of an officer with the zipper down requesting a "breathalizer".

These are my *favorite* people!!!! :love:
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    I think I like you.
  • Syderelli
    Syderelli Posts: 439 Member
    hehehe true
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    LMAO!
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member

Umm I think that is the point. One person can ask how to lose 25lbs by Christmas, and get bashed, but somebody can post a success story with pictures of how they lost 25lbs in 30 days, and people praise them like they are jebus.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Haha good point. Some people lose fast under doctor supervision, though, and I generally assume (or at least hope!) that some of the faster losers posting success stories are.
  • Love_flowers
    Love_flowers Posts: 365 Member
    You are a funny one you! :laugh:
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Indeed - an awful lot seem to pay attention to the anecdotal evidence that agrees with their own feelings and go on to take some interpreted reports as gospel.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    I think I know which post over in Success Stories made you post this and I feel the exact same way about it. I just slowly backed out of the thread without leaving a comment.

That said, like someone else mentioned, it's not necessarily the same people making the comments. Also, Success Stories is made for people to post there and get congratulatory pats on the back. They are there asking for advice. F&E threads, OTOH,are made for people to give and receive advice so it gets more contentious over here. Just the way I like it.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,749 Member
    :laugh: This made me laugh.

However I do know what you mean. I guess it depends on where you post your question/success.
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member

THIS. I swear, some people just go around the forums looking for people to crap on to make their day that much better. You either have the people who say nothing but mean things on here or the positive people who support others... I highly doubt the same person who is congratulating the person who lost a lot of weight will be in the other forum scolding someone for wanting to lose quickly.

But yes, your post made me chuckle lol