Ladies: Input please (may be tmi for men)

Options
I am half way through my cycle (two wks bf that tom). I am exhausted, hungry, and irritable. I skipped yesterday's run & overate. Today, I made it through 2 miles (hoping for a second wind). But, it was hard!

Anyone notice a decrease in energy and motivation + increased hunger 2 weeks before starting? I'm not sure if it's hormone related or if I trained too much last week.

Edit: I think I just figured it out. I have been getting up much earlier & am not used to it. That's prob the culprit.

Replies

• LosinItAll2012
    LosinItAll2012 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I don't feel much different energy wise... but a week before I can eat everything and anything in site!!! I really have to stay out of the kitchen during that week... it's CRAZY!!!
  • SquidVonBob
    SquidVonBob Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I can tell because I crave salty food and get really irritable, but my energy level changes from day to day so I can never tell if it's TOM related.
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I don't feel much different energy wise... but a week before I can eat everything and anything in site!!! I really have to stay out of the kitchen during that week... it's CRAZY!!!
    I jinxed myself last month; when this topic came up, I said the same thing, that I didn't feel any sort of fatigue and I didn't have any cravings--then last month I noticed that while I was PMSing I was TOTALLY low on energy and I tried to make a million excuses not to work out. I was unsuccessful because I forced myself to every day anyway, but I felt like such a turd for saying that my period didn't really effect me. I don't overindulge in food at all, and since I started this "journey" I've noticed that in the week before I no longer have cramps and I have very little breast tenderness, but I definitely do feel less energetic and less motivated, and maybe I just notice it more now because conversations like this make me pay a little more attention.
  • RiverManUK
    RiverManUK Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I know that every few weeks my wife brings extra chocolate and cake into the house.

This study by Dr Sarah Romans makes for interesting reading though.

http://healthland.time.com/2012/10/22/pms-is-a-myth-new-study/
  • madworld1
    Options
    Thanks guys. And, RiverManUk... my husband would say the same about me. In fact, he sometimes brings chocolate home to calm my mood.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I get bloated and extra hungry, but my energy level is the same. I do give in to some of the cravings.....I would go nuts if I didn't.
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options

This is me too!!!
  • RiverManUK
    RiverManUK Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. And, RiverManUk... my husband would say the same about me. In fact, he sometimes brings chocolate home to calm my mood.

Likewise. i sometimes get that late night text message asking me to go on a chocolate hunt. How could I refuse.
  • JuicyKey31
    Options
    GOOD TOPIC! I have been through this same thing and it does have an affect on you during that time of the month but what I have tried to do is keep the cravings out by having fruit around so I won't eat the wrong things. It's hard but I just try and fight it off! I chew gum alot LOL
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    My energy is fine, but my appetite is voracious. I could eat everything in sight, nonstop, all day, for about three days. The cravings are sometimes completely overwhelming. I actually made a box of mac and cheese at midnight because I wanted it so bad I couldn't think of anything else and wanted to cry. So I ate it and then logged it for the next day so I'd know to eat less. Luckily, since I still have a lot of energy, I can exercise and make up for some of the cravings, but between that and water bloat, the scale gets crazy.

The scale does come back down the week of my period, so at least it isn't total destruction, and I can just muscle through the three days of absolute hell. I don't have any kind of appetite whatsoever during my actual period, so it kind of makes up for it. I might eat 2400 calories during those three days, but then during my period I barely make 1300 a day, so it balances out. (My limit is 1800-1900 per day.)

Since I weigh every day, I get this huge spike during those three days, and then it slides right back down. My weight graph looks like an EKG. It's pretty funny. But at least I know when and what to expect, and it doesn't discourage me. It's frustrating, but not discouraging.
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I had been suffering from HORRIBLE pms for most of this past year UNTIL I cut out breads, pastas, red meat & dairy.
    My energy levels have been great
    My physical symptoms have dramatically decreased
    Food cravings are bad
    Still a little more irritable but managable
  • LovelyVegetarian
    LovelyVegetarian Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    When I ovulate I am extremely irritable. It's like I try to pick a fight with my husband. He always knows when I'm mid-cycle. No read difference in the cravings or energy levels. Not even during my period.