Banana shake for breakfast?

Options
Last 2 day i being making banana shake (1 cup fat free milk & a small banana) and it fills me up.
But i Know they say bananas are not good when you diet... is it true? or how bad are they?
Any ideas for a really quick breakfast? ( i hate oatmeal and tea)

Replies

• lisamariepickering
    Options
    Bananas are higher in calories than some fruits and veggies, but they're not a "bad" food. Besides they have fiber that can help you feel full. I say if it fits in your calories for the day and makes you feel good, go for it. I have a banana protein shake a couple times a week after working out and I've been consistently losing.
  • Anclote
    Anclote Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Anyone who told you bananas are not a good diet food is insane!! Fruit is pretty much the *most* perfect food in existence. It's high in enzymes so it barely requires any work to be digested, which makes it IDEAL in the morning. It effortlessly passes through your body when your metabolism is still waking up, it gives you fiber, carbs, vitamins, minerals, amino acids, everything good... and since fruit is mostly water, it passes through quickly, hydrating and detoxifying your intestines.
    I would say KEEP IT UP. Only thing is, have you ever tried soy, almond, or coconut milk instead of cow's? Almond milk, for example, has more calcium, more protein, and less calories than cow's milk.
    Eat your fruits girl!
    Sometimes when I make a fruit smoothie for breakfast, I add 1 tbsp unsweetened almond butter. It gives the smoothie a thicker texture, adds an extra kick of protein and keeps me feeling full longer.
  • Pamemiller
    Options
    Anyone who told you bananas are not a good diet food is insane!! Fruit is pretty much the *most* perfect food in existence. It's high in enzymes so it barely requires any work to be digested, which makes it IDEAL in the morning. It effortlessly passes through your body when your metabolism is still waking up, it gives you fiber, carbs, vitamins, minerals, amino acids, everything good... and since fruit is mostly water, it passes through quickly, hydrating and detoxifying your intestines.
    I would say KEEP IT UP. Only thing is, have you ever tried soy, almond, or coconut milk instead of cow's? Almond milk, for example, has more calcium, more protein, and less calories than cow's milk.
    Eat your fruits girl!
    Sometimes when I make a fruit smoothie for breakfast, I add 1 tbsp unsweetened almond butter. It gives the smoothie a thicker texture, adds an extra kick of protein and keeps me feeling full longer.
    thanks ill try soy milk or almond milk , ill crab some next time i go to the store :happy:
  • senglishrose
    senglishrose Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Indeed banana's has higher calories because they have a natural sugar but I don't think they are bad for you.

I, too, have struggled on whether to have a banana or a lower fruit like strawberries or blueberries in my protein shakes but I LOVE banana's so on my days that I work out with my trainer I usually use a banana. If I have a protein shake in the evening time I try to use another kind of fruit. When I used to run a lot I felt like I needed bananas for the potassium so I wouldn't get leg cramps.

Enjoy your bananas!
  • eve7166
    eve7166 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    bananas are excellent! I love them! LOL. However Almond milk does not have more protein than cows milk. You might be able to find one that is fortefied. I say drink whatever you like best but try to get the one with more protein if you find it. :)
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat a vanilla protein shake with strawberries and a banana addded to it on days I work out, or just need some extra protein. As long as the calories fit into your day, there is nothing wrong with bananas. I think some people freak out about bananas because as fruits go they are high in calories and sugar - worse if they are very ripe (so if you are diabetic, maybe not a great choice?). But, as long as you have room in your daily calories, they have a lot of benefit as well.