yogurt and sugar

Options
Hello,
My eyes just got opened to the amount of sugar in yogurt, and now recently noticed that
some fat free plain yogurt also have a lot of sugar.

I can't use any artificial sweeteners,but it seems like the low fat yogurt almost have more sugar to make up for it.

Suggestions for choosing yogurt.
Thanks

Replies

• LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Plain greek yogurt and add your own fruit!
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Dannon Plain Fat Free Yogurt. The only sugars in it are the natural sugar (lactose) in milk. This is the closest to making home made yogurt there is.

Which by the way, is fairly easy to make and much cheaper.
  • jlwilliams80
    Options
    While all yogurt provides numerous health benefits (including probiotics), the nutritional stats for Greek yogurt and regular yogurt do differ.

Protein - Greek yogurt has almost double the protein of regular yogurt. Eight ounces of Greek yogurt has about 20 grams of protein, whereas regular yogurt provides around 11-13 grams. Greek yogurt's high protein content makes it a favorite among people trying to manage their weight as it helps ward off hunger.

Carbohydrates - Greek yogurt has fewer carbohydrates than regular yogurt. This could be beneficial to diabetics, who have to watch their carbohydrate intake.

Calcium - Regular yogurt has about three times the calcium of Greek yogurt. Both are still considered good sources of calcium, but women who don't get enough calcium from other foods may want to stick to regular yogurt for its bone-building benefits.

Sodium - Greek yogurt has half the sodium of regular yogurt.

Calories - Plain, nonfat versions of Greek and regular yogurt have a similar calorie count per serving, but added sugars can significantly increase the calories of either variety.

Texture - Greek yogurt is much thicker and creamier than regular yogurt because it's strained more. Greek yogurt can also be used in cooking as it does not curdle when heated like regular yogurt.

Cost - Unfortunately, you'll likely spend a little more on Greek yogurt. This is largely due to escalating customer demand, as Greek yogurt's taste, texture, and great nutritional profile keep consumers coming back in droves. Greek yogurt also costs more because the extra straining requires much more milk, so it's a more concentrated source of protein.

Although most people snack on yogurt, don't underestimate its versatility. Both types of yogurt can be used as lower-calorie substitutes for fatty ingredients. Swap out eggs and oil in baked goods for Greek yogurt, or use either yogurt type in place of full-fat sour cream, heavy cream, mayonnaise, or cream cheese in recipes. Both types can also be used in place of other high-calorie ingredients in dips, sauces, salad dressings, smoothies, and desserts.

Yogurt is often touted as an ideal health food, and it can be if you choose the right kind. As with both Greek and regular yogurts, be sure to choose low-fat or nonfat varieties, and opt for those with little to no added sugar, as this ups the calorie count.
  • Melaniec78
    Melaniec78 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I have discovered that almost anything fat free has added sugar to make it taste better. I mostly buy low fat to avoid the added sugar. But yogurt can be quite high some greek yogurts are scary high!!! The best tasting with least sugar one I have found is yoplait greek yogurt flavors only about 8 grams compared to chobani flavors that has like 15 or some ridiculous number.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    6 oz of Chobani greek ff plain has 7g of sugar, the you sweeten it however you like.
  • EllaScarlet
    EllaScarlet Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I usually get plain yoghurt and add honey or St Dalfour jam - it is sugar free but does not use artificial sweeteners, only concentrated fruit juice :) Then you know exactly what you are eating.

Plain yoghurt should only contain milk - definitely no sweetener of any kind. Anything plain, even fat free, should not contain added sugar. My favourite is Fage 0% Greek yoghurt!
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Plain greek yogart
  • 2011Eileen
    2011Eileen Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone