What matters more?

Options
I'm new here so I am sorry if this topic has already been discussed. Maybe other newbies can let me know what they think!

I have been small all my life until I had my children ( I have a 3 yrs old and a 9 mo old). I was sick of being heavy for my 5'2" frame and starting working out everyday since Jan. 17th 2010 and watching what I was eating. When I did my first weigh-in, it was on Feb. 17th 2010. I was shocked to only see that I had lost 3 lbs! But my clothes were fitting differently on me. On Feb. 18th, I started Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred everyday (now I'm on Level 3). On March 8th I weighed myself to get ready for a 10 Day Detox program as I continue my 30 Day Shred. I saw that I lost only 2 lbs! Again, my clothes fit differently, but I really wish that I could see those numbers drop on the scale....

So, what matters to you more, the numbers on the scale going down or how your clothes fit?

Replies

• sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    definately the fit of clothes! Try taking your measurements. Womens wt flucuates sooo much on the scale. The scale is BAD, don't trust it. Go with you gut and the way you feel and look in your clothes!
    Good luck!
  • heinz4u
    heinz4u Posts: 14
    Options
    both lol but remember if you take it off to fast it WILL come back faster so slow and steady is the best i went weeks where i didnt loose but i could tell i was loseing inches which i loved even bought a few new things to wear which really can boost your mind and make you fell great.. You are off to a great start add me as a friend...
  • queensara2478
    Options
    What matters more is definately the way your clothes fit. Being that you have a young child your body may be shocked by what your doing to it therefore your not seeing the results on the scale. After a few more months you'll probably notice a HUGE drop. Even if you don't no worries your clothes are getting loser. Muscle weighs more then fat! Use this tool along with your workout plan and you'll get there before you know it. You already are on the right path just continue it! Good luck.
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    deff. take your measurements as well. I weigh in every Tuesday and then do my measurements every 2 weeks on a Tuesday. I started zumba about 2-3 weeks ago, haven't lost any weight but lost an inch in my waist and 1/2 an inch off my abdomen.
  • boniekatie
    boniekatie Posts: 147
    Options
    The way your clothes are fitting is a much more accurate mesurment of your progress, especially when you are working out as much as you are. Keep it up and eventually the numbers on the scale will catch up. If you could measure your fat percentage, you would probubly find out that you have lost a lot of fat and gained a lot of muscle. The more muscle you have the more fat you will burn so eventually you will see results on the scale, but if your clothes fit better and you have more energy and feel good about what you see in the mirror, then don't stress over numbers on the scale.
  • jec710
    jec710 Posts: 5
    Options
    If I am being totally honest with myself, I would say that the numbers on the scale mean more to me. When I see the numbers go down, I get happy. When they stay the same or go up (AAAH), I get upset. HOWEVER I know in my gut that its how I look and feel in my clothes that really matters. I am not losing weight because I want to see different numbers on a scale, I'm losing weight to like what I see in the mirror.

So really, inches lost means more then pounds lost.
  • gumchewer
    gumchewer Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    even if its only 2 lbs try picking something up that wieghs that much
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    definately the fit of clothes! Try taking your measurements. Womens wt flucuates sooo much on the scale. The scale is BAD, don't trust it. Go with you gut and the way you feel and look in your clothes!
    Good luck!
    Great point. A woman's weight will fluctuate every month at the same time because of bloating/water retention. Also, with your increase in workout, your body is probably retaining water to repair muscles that your working out. Once the body adjusts, it will lost that water. Make sure to drink at least 64 ounces a day, more if you work out, and at least 8 ounces for every 300mg of sodium you go over (that's a huge factor in water retention!!).

So DEFINITELY go by how your clothes fit, because there's way too many factors for women on the scales. The best way to weigh yourself would be once a week, and measurements every two as someone already mentioned - that' what I do and I find it works very well.
  • kltobin2010
    kltobin2010 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much! Inches are more important and I will start measuring myself. I guess if my husband has noticed a difference, it must be working! :happy:
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Definately the way my clothes fit. If I get on the scale and don't lose anything or actually gain, I don't know what is water weight or what part is actually fat!!!!! It has taken alot to get me to this way of thinking. When I first started working out I had already lost some of my weight. I started working out with my trainer 3 times a week and the first time I weighed myself(i was a scale junkie:laugh:) it showed a 2 pound gain. I was so upset , my husband tried to tell me how I was gaining muscle in place of fat, well I wasn't falling for that. As much as I hate to admit he was right, he was. The first measurements we took I was down 23 inches after 3 months and had lost 10% body fat without losing a pound. Needless to say I hardly ever get on the scale anymore I go by the way I feel.

Hope this helps.
  • aerobicgirl
    aerobicgirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    lets just say that i am about 5'2 also and i weigh 151 so right now i would love to be your weight. all my life i have been a heavy girl, so right now i am watching my calories. i don't have to much time to workout with my almost 3 yr old and 6 mth old/ but with just watching my cal i have lost (as you can see) 2 lbs with in 1 a week and a 1/2 . i am trying to get down to 145 then gonna try to start doing my 30 day shred again/ or put in some running now that the weather maybe getting better. but the last two times that i have dropped weight down to 140 i get pregnant/ so i don't really want that so i will be happy at a toned 142. that it my goal this year. and my brother is getting married in november so yup that is my goal. and i don't really want to buy new clothes
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I'm a numbers girl. My waist could drop an inch, but if I didn't see a drop on the scale, I'd be discouraged. That's because I have a lot of weight to lose though. If I were closer to my goal and doing regular weight training, it might be a different story.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I'm new here so I am sorry if this topic has already been discussed. Maybe other newbies can let me know what they think!

I have been small all my life until I had my children ( I have a 3 yrs old and a 9 mo old). I was sick of being heavy for my 5'2" frame and starting working out everyday since Jan. 17th 2010 and watching what I was eating. When I did my first weigh-in, it was on Feb. 17th 2010. I was shocked to only see that I had lost 3 lbs! But my clothes were fitting differently on me. On Feb. 18th, I started Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred everyday (now I'm on Level 3). On March 8th I weighed myself to get ready for a 10 Day Detox program as I continue my 30 Day Shred. I saw that I lost only 2 lbs! Again, my clothes fit differently, but I really wish that I could see those numbers drop on the scale....

So, what matters to you more, the numbers on the scale going down or how your clothes fit?

If I were your weight, I'd be super happy with a 2 or 3 pound weight loss in a month. It's so hard to lose the pounds when you don't have much to lose.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I think the first year after having a baby, the scale is the enemy. My dr explained that hormones change and go up and down so much that it can affect the number on the scale. Between June and August I lost about 7lbs last summer (6 of those weeks didn't lose a pound at all), BUT I went from a size 14 to a size 10. Now I've lost 13 lbs since Aug to Jan and I've gone from a 10 to a size 4 or 6. It has taken me since last May to lose 21 lbs. It is not a fast moving journey and it does take a lot of time. I'm like you. I was in shape before having babies. Now I'm finally getting my body back and my youngest is 13 months.
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    I'm a little like BrendaLee on this one, even with drops in inches, if the scale doesn't go down I tend to get discouraged. However, I find even more satisfying then losing numbers on the scale is going down pant sizes, so once a month I go to American Eagle to try on a pair of the favourite boyfriend jeans, I wore a 10 when I started, went down to an 8 last summer, and now I'm in a 6! I'm hoping for a 3-4 by the time I'm done p90x =)

But seriously, it's sooo much easier to ignore the scales with the pants sizes, so maybe pick a day once a month to go to a store that always carries a particular cut, and try it on! =D
  • crabbygirl
    Options
    My scale wasn't showing a big decrease (:angry: ) but I thought my pants were looser - not sure if I was imagining it or not as the scale wasn't telling me anything. Now that I've seen what you guys have had to say, maybe I wasn't imagining. That is encouraging to know. :happy:
  • Celestia
    Celestia Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    First of all CONGRATS on your progess. I totally understand your situation because I'm having the same issue! I know my body feels different and leaner but the scale isn't budging. Well I would tell you that if your clothes feel different then that is what matters because its results that you can SEE and FEEL. I also went to my gym and got my body fat % measured and I am going to use this as a progress indicator instead of a scale. I feel my muscles getting stronger so I know that i'm building strength and toning...and as they say, muscle weighs more than fat. People here suggest measuring your body and I think that is an excellent suggestion. Good luck and keep up the great work!