Green Coffee Beawn Extract

Options
Has anyone tried green coffee bean extract? I have been taking it for 1 month with way less than anticipated results. I actually stopped losing weight for the 1st 3 weeks I was taking it. Just wondering if this is just me, or if it a huge hoax like most things that sound too good to be true. I bought 3 months and will continue to take it, with hope for the future!

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what that is but things like that are yes, usually too good to be true. What happens when you stop taking it? Have you thought about that? Just stick to a reasonable calorie deficit, exercise, and lose the weight.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If all these gimmicks worked then why are there so many fat people? Wouldn't everyone be thin if all you had to do was buy a pill?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Did you see it on Dr. Oz? Then of course it's bullcrap.

Just like raspberry keytones, and oh... don't even get me started.

Essentially, you wasted your money. There is no magic pill. And if there IS it probably produces short term effects by prescription only and will probably eff up your heart. Eat at a caloric deficit and you will lose weight, period.
  • amandazylstra
    amandazylstra Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Oh I am sticking to my calorie goals everyday and walking 8km everyday. I had hoped this would give a boost to the weight loss, it is so painfully slow. No didn't see it on Dr. Oz, but know he did a show. This is the first time I have ever bought into something like this, I just really needed to believe. :(
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I have NEVER bought into the diet pill/weight loss supplement nonsense. I've wanted to a couple of times and researched them but found that they are just another form of snake oil sales. For example when the craze first came out for that one fat blocker pill (I can't remember the name). I read through the studies and it does actually help you lose weight but the difference is 6 pounds a year as compared to someone not taking the pill. 6 extra pounds a year is just not worth the cost and the side effects.

I will admit that I've been wondering what's up with the green coffee bean stuff. Right now on the internet the only studies I can find are advertisements so they can be discounted. Webmd.com has an article posted. Bottom line: very small study with very questionable controls showed greater weight loss for those on high intake than when taking a placebo. AND the study was sponsored by the company that makes the supplement. Anyway, here's what the article said:

Green Coffee Beans May Aid Weight Loss
    Supplement Linked to Weight Loss in Small, Early Study
    AAABy Kathleen Doheny
    WebMD Health NewsReviewed by Louise Chang, MDMarch 28, 2012 -- Ground green coffee beans, taken daily, seem to spur steady weight loss, according to new research.

In a small, 22-week study, researchers found that 16 overweight men and women lost an average of 17 pounds. They took the green (unroasted) coffee beans in supplement form and, for comparison, took a placebo at a different point of the study.

They did not change their diet. They were physically active. They lost more while on the supplements than while on placebo. They lost the most when on the higher of two coffee bean doses.

"We don't think it's the caffeine in it," says Joe Vinson, PhD, professor of chemistry at the University of Scranton.

He presented the findings Tuesday at the annual meeting of the American Chemical Society in San Diego. The results echo those of earlier studies, but Vinson used a larger dose of the green coffee beans.

The study included people 22 to 46 years old. It was funded by Applied Food Sciences, which makes the green coffee antioxidant supplement.

The results are interesting, but the study was small and short, so further study is needed, says Connie Diekman, RD, director of university nutrition at Washington University in St. Louis. She reviewed the findings for WebMD.

Green Coffee Beans for Weight Loss: Study Details
    Vinson and his colleagues gave the men and women in the study a 700-milligram (mg) dose of the ground coffee beans and a 1,050 mg dose. They also gave them a placebo or inactive dose during the 22-week study.

The men and women cycled through each phase for six weeks. In between, they had ''wash-out'' periods where they didn't take any supplement. In this way, they served as their own comparison group.

"Their calories were monitored," Vinson says. They were not put on diets. Calorie intakes stayed about the same during the study. They averaged about 2,400 calories a day -- by no means a weight reduction plan.

They burned, on average, about 400 calories a day in physical activity, Vinson says. The study was done in India.

The 17-pound loss was the average. Some lost only about 7 pounds; others about 26 pounds.

Overall, body weight declined by an average of 10.5%. Body fat declined by 16%.

The study participants lost slightly more weight with the higher dose compared to the lower dose, but not a significant amount with the placebo, Vinson says. Vinson can't say for sure why the coffee bean extract seems to help weight loss. He suspects one explanation is the unroasted beans' chlorogenic acid.

Chlorogenic acid is a plant compound. It may have ''some effect on keeping down glucose absorption," which in turn helps reduce weight, Vinson says.

Once coffee beans are roasted, the chlorogenic acid breaks down.

None of the people in the study reported side effects, Vinson says. The capsules are extremely bitter, he says. They are best taken with a lot of water before a meal, he says.

A larger study of about 60 people is planned, Vinson says.

These findings were presented at a medical conference. They should be considered preliminary, as they have not yet undergone the "peer review" process, in which outside experts scrutinize the data prior to publication in a medical journal.