Weight loss suggestions? Not losing

Options
I'm new to this forum, so please be patient if this is something that has been asked and answered in the past.

Let me start by saying I record everything (everything) I consume. So the problem isn't that I'm not accurately recording my caloric intake.

I've been working out for about a month now and eating approx 1500 calories a day, with 500-1100 daily net deficit between caloric intake and expenditure six days a week. On the 7th day, I have a net deficit of 200 - 0 calories.

Work outs include walking 7 miles Monday - Friday (15 min mile), with on or more of the following: bikram yoga, stength training, training to run 10k (includes controlled running/walking mix with run time increasing each day), staqirmaster etc.

My body fat has decreased approx 4% (per my Aria scale) , but I haven'tlost weight. In fact I've gained about a pound, and I haven't lost inches.

An advice on how to kickstart my weight loss?

Replies

• Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    You need to NET 1500 as well as eat back some exercise calories unless you have already accounted for this. Did you? Whats your TDEE?
  • Angellaree
    Angellaree Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Bumping this to see some advice. I am also new to MFP, can you please explain net calories and what is TDEE? Thanks.
  • 0121crd
    Options
    TDEE is 2500 most days. I eat 1500 calories, leaving a daily deficit of 1000 calories. This should equate to a 2 lb per week weight loss, which is generally considered safe.

Without excercise, MFP recommends I eat 1200 calories a day, providing a deficit of 550 calories daily. I'd rather eat the extra 300 calories and work out.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    TDEE is 2500 most days. I eat 1500 calories, leaving a daily deficit of 1000 calories. This should equate to a 2 lb per week weight loss, which is generally considered safe.

Without excercise, MFP recommends I eat 1200 calories a day, providing a deficit of 550 calories daily. I'd rather eat the extra 300 calories and work out.

With only 18lbs to go your cut is too steep. For less than 20 lbs you should be aiming for about .5/week and doing 10% from your TDEE. Increase your calories.

@ Angellaree.. Read the newbie information http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition it should explain most of it or tell you where to go for more.
  • kalghoul
    kalghoul Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    TDEE=Total Daily Energy Expenditure. If you are eating 1500cal/day and burning 2500 then you have a 1000cal/day deficit.
    If you are also working out and buring say, 200cal/day then your net calories are what you ate minus what you burned--in this example 1500-200=1300cal. Hope this helps.

To the original poster: you are doing strength training, right? this builds muscle which is heavier than fat which could explain your lack of weight loss. The good news is that muscle takes up less space than fat, is healthier for your heart and also more muscle contributes to a higher basal metabolic rate (thus increasing your TDEE). Don't get discouraged--the pounds will come off.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options

If your average TDEE is 2500, you should be eating 2000 ish calories every day. The less you have to lose, the smaller the deficit. Also, ensure you are getting adequate rest. You want at least 1 day a week to recovery from all the exercise. Also, open your diary so we can make suggestions.
  • Angellaree
    Angellaree Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I will be checking out that link! :)
  • 0121crd
    Options
    Thanks all! Really appreciate the help. Eating more scares me, but Ill give it a shot!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    this builds muscle which is heavier than fat
    WRONG, a pound is a pound, feathers or rocks doesn't matter
    The good news is that muscle takes up less space than fat,
    RIGHT, but muscle is very hard to build especially at a calorie deficit so not likely that is the answer.
  • kalghoul
    kalghoul Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    To Mokey41: of course a pound is a pound- what I was trying to say is that if you have equal VOLUME of muscle and fat, the muscle weighs more!
    Anyway- she's going to see the links provided (and so am I), so hopefully she'll get straightend out.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    To Mokey41: of course a pound is a pound- what I was trying to say is that if you have equal VOLUME of muscle and fat, the muscle weighs more!
    Anyway- she's going to see the links provided (and so am I), so hopefully she'll get straightend out.

Either way, it doesn't matter as she isn't gaining new lean body mass while on a calorie deficit, let alone a large one. What is probably happening is if the measurements are right and she lost 4% body fat and stayed the same weight... well it's probably due to water retention. She is very active so her muscles will hold onto water for repair.