Am I the only one...cool down?

Options
I just wanted to know if I'm the only one. When I get back from a run, I'm sweaty, hot, etc. But then about 10 minutes later, after I've wiped the sweat off and I'm relaxing before getting ready for the day, I get cold. Not chilly...like really bone chilling, shivering cold. Like my body temp dropped SIGNIFICANTLY in that 10 minutes. Does anyone else get this?

Replies

• PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Yes. I make sure I have streched properly, then change into dry clothes and keep warm before I have a chance to have a bath or shower.
  • BetterMike
    BetterMike Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your are saying this happens all the time or frequently. If it was a one-off or high temps I'd say maybe heat exhaustion. Perhaps it still is but I'd doubt it. Are you well hydrated during the day of and the day before the run?

I've heard of others who get cold after as well but you might want to ask a doctor about it just to be safe.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    i duno.
    i always drink a shake then hop in the shower
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your are saying this happens all the time or frequently. If it was a one-off or high temps I'd say maybe heat exhaustion. Perhaps it still is but I'd doubt it. Are you well hydrated during the day of and the day before the run?

I've heard of others who get cold after as well but you might want to ask a doctor about it just to be safe.

Yep, every time I run. I usually go out at 5 AM for my runs. I'm out for 30-40 minutes. Come home and strip a layer, grab water and a yogurt, and cool down for a bit. But about 10-15 minutes into it, I start getting cold and by the time I get to the shower I'm shivering. After my shower I'm completely fine.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    The harder my workout, and the sweatier I got, the colder I will feel later, about half an hour or so after I've cooled down. I'm not really sure why. I just grab a blanket later and cuddle up.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I can't say I have that issue. If it's much over 70 I still sweat even after taking a cold shower. Takes me quite a while to cool down but it doesn't ever leave me feeling cold. Maybe you're just feeling cold compared to what you felt like during your workout.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I stay hot for a good hour after a run. I take a cool shower, put on a light layer, and I'm still warm. You said you take off 'a layer' maybe the ones you leave on are soaked enough to make you cold?
  • KatKisses
    KatKisses Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    yes....you are the ONLY one.
  • klwells08
    klwells08 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    This happens to me after every workout, especially when I run. I barely have time to drink something and hop in a HOT shower before I feel like I'm going to freeze to death. Now that it is colder outside I have to be even quicker to hop in the shower and my fingers and toes are already so cold that they burn in the shower initially.
  • ninick
    ninick Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    There are times when I got cold even during a run... when I exercise on empty stomach. But if I ate enough before I worked out, then it seems fine.
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I get freezing cold and need to take a hot bath to warm up. I just think my body got too geared up for cooling off that it goes over and above. I am nice and toasty when I get home but within 10 minutes my skin is ice cold.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Yes, I always feel that way. the longer the run, the colder I am. When I was training for a half marathon, on my 10 mile runs, I'd be freezing afterward. 'd have to put on a jacket, and it was hot outside. LOL. I thought I was weird, but it happens to a friend of mine too.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I stay hot for a good hour after a run. I take a cool shower, put on a light layer, and I'm still warm. You said you take off 'a layer' maybe the ones you leave on are soaked enough to make you cold?

Yes I'll say that they usually are. Since it's been in the 20s-30s lately, I wear a running (wicking) tank, a wicking tech shirt, and usually a t-shirt over that. So when I get home I usually take the t-shirt and sometimes the tech shirt off and just leave the tank on until my shower.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Weird.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I get cold too. I walk to my gym (15-20 minutes), do strength training for 30 minutes drink water, do cardio for 30 minutes and then walk home while drinking more water. I stretch, then sit down and have a protein shake. By then I'm really cold. I take a shower then I'm fine. I just assumed it was the change in activity level accompanied by the water and air conditioning.
  • Fenomka
    Fenomka Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I usually have this happen right after work outs - If I've put in hard, on the elliptical and with weights, then for me, it's also somewhere around the 7-10 min mark, I get pretty chilly. I've found that what works for me is that really soon after my work out - like within minutes of finishing, even though I'm still hot from the workout) I put on a sweatshirt or jacket, and it seems to curb the worst of it. I also make sure to drink extra water right after my workout, because it seems to help, too. Not sure if this will help, but I hope so.

Keep up the good work!
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Yep, I sweat buckets in class and then I go to my 2 lockers to retrieve my stuff (it takes a lot of luggage to spend all day working out) A couple people stop to tell me how great I'm doing and I thank them. I sign out at the front desk and carry all my stuff to the car. By this time I think my sweat is starting to freeze to my body. So I turn up the heater full blast and on some days I'm grateful I remembered a warm sweatshirt to put on.
  • Krisengel
    Krisengel Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I always get really cold too! It helps me if I can shower right after working out, but that's not always possible. I just put more layers on or get under a blanket.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to know if I'm the only one. When I get back from a run, I'm sweaty, hot, etc. But then about 10 minutes later, after I've wiped the sweat off and I'm relaxing before getting ready for the day, I get cold. Not chilly...like really bone chilling, shivering cold. Like my body temp dropped SIGNIFICANTLY in that 10 minutes. Does anyone else get this?

Has this only been happening recently with the cooler temperatures? Or did this happen in the summer too?
  • BronnersHarris
    BronnersHarris Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    If I've run for over 30 minutes I'll get cold after a run, and it will normally last a few hours. I googled it and apparently it's when you don't cool down properly and let your heart rate slowly drop. I think it's something to do with your core temp working hard to cool you down from all the exercise so even when you've stopped it's still trying to cool you down, hence the very cold feeling.

Maybe try adding 10 minutes of just walking to the end of your run and see if it helps. The days I make sure I really do a proper cool down I don't get the cold feeling after - worth a try. :)

Google being cold after running and you'll find quite a few forums discussing it.