Winter Running Shoe Question

Options
Hi All,
I am a new-ish runner. I live in the Northeast and this Hurricane and terrible snowstorm have kept me from my miles. :mad: I have fallen in love with my Vibrams Five Finger Bikala shoes for my outdoor running. However, I have a feeling that these are not going to be practical for winter running when there is likely to be snow and a general increase in moisture. Can anyone recommend another shoe that I can look into that is similar to the Vibram??

I really miss the miles and as soon as all of the trees and powerlines are out of the way... i wanna get the move on!!!

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• SweetPea482
    SweetPea482 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    BUMP! :D
  • Nikkei24
    Nikkei24 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Bump cause i just use my regular nike's or new balances.
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    bUMPTY bump BUMp
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options

How are the new balances out in the cold?
  • FunkyGranolaTree
    FunkyGranolaTree Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I guess no one has any thoughts on this :sad:
  • AmyMalley77
    AmyMalley77 Posts: 72 Member
    Options

I just asked this question (well, except for the "similar to Vibrams" part) to a Brooks rep, and they suggested the Brooks Adrenaline GXT...they have a Gortex lining to help keep the feet dry and warm. I might check them out. I already wear Brooks Adrenaline GTS though, and know the shoes work for my feet.
  • FunkyGranolaTree
    FunkyGranolaTree Posts: 399 Member
    Options

I just asked this question (well, except for the "similar to Vibrams" part) to a Brooks rep, and they suggested the Brooks Adrenaline GXT...they have a Gortex lining to help keep the feet dry and warm. I might check them out. I already wear Brooks Adrenaline GTS though, and know the shoes work for my feet.

GREAT!! I would totally be willing to bounce over to a Brooks shoe if it gave me the feel of my Vibrams.. :drinker:
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    I wear wool socks in the winter, sometimes thicker ones if my shoes will allow it. But I run in all kinds of nasty weather and haven't ever had a real problem with cold or wet feet. I mean yes, my feet get cold sometimes, and definitely get wet a lot of the time, but it's not a problem that gets in the way of my running.

When I'm cold, I just run faster - keeps me warmer :D
  • AmyMalley77
    AmyMalley77 Posts: 72 Member
    Options

GREAT!! I would totally be willing to bounce over to a Brooks shoe if it gave me the feel of my Vibrams.. :drinker:

I am not so sure they would feel the same--in fact, I am pretty sure they are not alike at all...however, maybe just for winter you could change to a different type of shoe?
  • ENCORRALES21
    ENCORRALES21 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    hi the running website : runner's world has a cool flow chart to get the best shoe for you based on your running style, how many miles you put in, and a couple of other things check it out http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-400--14501-0,00.html
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I plan on just wearing my Brooks Ghost 5 (yes, I've been fitted) with some cold weather socks and YakTrax for icy days:

http://www.amazon.com/Yaktrax-Traction-Cleats-Black-Small/dp/B001CZJIOQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352417012&sr=8-1&keywords=yaktrax
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    SInce you like minimal shoes, look at the Brooks Pure line.

That said, can you wear your Vibrams with wool Injinji socks? If they are too tight with the Injinji socks, maybe get another pair of Vibrams that is one size bigger, perhaps? I've known people that have run in the snow using this sock + Vibram combo. Your feet might get a little wet, but the wool socks will still probably keep you warm enough as long as you are moving.

FWIW, I run in the snow all winter in shoes that are not waterproof but ALWAYS wear wool socks.