this one is for the ladies

Options
when you're having extremely bad cramps to the point where you can barely sit up.. how do you find motivation to work out.. because i'm doing insanity .. and i need to do my work out but i can barely stand up i'm in so much pain :(

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I take some ibuprofen and don't work out. But I'm kind of lazy...
  • ThePinkPretzel
    Options
    ^ i take ibuprofen also, but i have honestly found that if i can get myself to work out i end up feeling better in the end. if your cramps are so extreme that you literally can't move, i would contact your ob/gyn; often times that is a sign of endometriosis, or possibilly a cyst. ♥
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I get cramps really bad for the one day a month. I don't workout that day, I use it as my rest day. I take Tylenol, grab a cup of hot herbal tea, and hit the couch with my blankie!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    ^ i take ibuprofen also, but i have honestly found that if i can get myself to work out i end up feeling better in the end. if your cramps are so extreme that you literally can't move, i would contact your ob/gyn; often times that is a sign of endometriosis, or possibilly a cyst. ♥

I agree! I do get cysts and they are horrendous but I usually gut through it and I feel better afterwards. There is the occasional day that I am doubled over in pain and almost in tears, I make that a rest day and curl up with a heating pad.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I don't work out that day. I cry, and feel sorry for myself and generally am mad at the world for my issues. Then I'm usually ok after that.
  • madworld1
    Options
    When mine are that bad, I am pretty much bed ridden. Last month, I ended up in my gynos office for an emergency visit. The older I get, the worse my cramps are. Are you on bcs? My doc has suggested bcs, but I am waiting until the end of this month to start them. Not sure what she will put me on, but she said that she will have me take them so that my periods stop. If you are not on bcs (and not trying to conceive), then you might consider them.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I've heard good things about magnesium glycinate revealing cramps, on a podcast call Dishing Up Nutrition.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Ibuprofen and suck it up. I've discovered that whether I feel like it or not, if I'll just make myself do it, I'll feel better afterward. But if it didn't make me feel better, I'd probably declare a rest day.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    honestly I would just take ibuprofen and midol and make yourself do it. thats what I usually do and I swear it makes me feel better and eases up all my pms symptoms. this month I didn't do that. I stayed in bed and watched tv and ate halloween candy/fun size chocolates. and I swear I had cramps for 2 days! I'm 35 and I have never had cramps for 2 whole days in the history of my period. I'm convinced the laying around doing nothing made it worse. Usually I only have cramps for the beginning of the first day but working out helps. I will say pms gives me a back ache that doesn't go away so I just push through it.
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    just look at the physical activity as a way to alleviate your cramps. it's the truth.
  • Doesntplaynice82
    Doesntplaynice82 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have read that working out will actually help with the pain. At the min walk on the treadmill or a stationary bike or something light where you are still getting something in but not overdoing it.
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    I assume you're talking about period cramps..?

Take some midol or other pain reliever, and try to work out. Exercise actually helps with cramps
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I did Insanity and had three periods through it. (Timed it just right, I did!) I have one day every cycle that my cramps are horrendous. So during Insanity, I would take Midol and start the workout. Once I got through the warm up and stretch, I usually was able to push myself all the way through it. Only one time during the 2nd month was I unable to finish the workout...I did about 34 minutes and felt like puking, so I had to stop. So my suggestion is this...take something for your cramps and try to do the scheduled workout. If you can't do it, then rest today and move the workout to your scheduled rest day. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • IronDame
    IronDame Posts: 275
    Options
    I take midol and go for it.
    Sometimes I just lay in bed and hold myself instead.
  • floridapanthergirl
    Options
    Sometimes taking care of yourself means staying prone and missing a day of exercise. For me, weight loss means making my body a priority and listening to it. Sometimes it says, "I won't let you push me so hard". I have to say, "okay, mam" or there is a price to pay, and we are not friends anymore. Floridapanthergirl
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Don't workout and either take a pain reliever and/or use a heating pad/hot water bottle on your back.
  • Jessamyfrm
    Options
    Pain relief, a hot bath, feel sorry for myself for a maximum of 2 minutes and then get off my *kitten* and get on with it.

Guarantee you'll be feeling 10x better and glad you've done it afterwards!
  • melissaann262
    Options
    I use a heating pad and get to my workout when they are not so bad
  • taoschip
    taoschip Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have been doing insanity as well this will be day 9. I would like to remind you that the more you start to work out and lose weight the more your cramps will go away if there isn't an underlying problem as to why you are having them.
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I use a heating pad and get to my workout when they are not so bad

This!