Can it be 'too hot to run'? Health reasons

Options
I mean obviously, when it's 35C out like today, I really don't feel like it BUT is there a temperature when it becomes risky/dangerous/just a bad idea from a health point of view?
I rode (horse) for half an hour today and felt quite ill when I got off.

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    There is a race called Badwater that is 135 miles through Death Valley in the summer. Temperatures reach 130°F.

The body has mechanisms to keep you from exploding into flames or otherwise damaging your body from the heat. If you ignore the signs it gives you, then yes it can be dangerous. If you pay attention to what your body is telling you, you will have a hard time finding "dangerously hot" conditions.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options

Imagine how the horse felt. :laugh:

The main thing is to stay hydrated. As long as you're sweating and not pushing yourself too much you're going to be fine. I used to have a job where I worked in an attic at over 140F for an hour or more at a time. Keep your fluid levels good and your body copes with it pretty well.
  • plarcade
    plarcade Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    There is a race called Badwater that is 135 miles through Death Valley in the summer. Temperatures reach 130°F.

The body has mechanisms to keep you from exploding into flames or otherwise damaging your body from the heat. If you ignore the signs it gives you, then yes it can be dangerous. If you pay attention to what your body is telling you, you will have a hard time finding "dangerously hot" conditions.
    Wow! That's ... well... a bit mad, to tell the truth!!
    Thanks for the info, it's very interesting :)
  • athryn
    athryn Posts: 59
    Options
    From the study I read, it's only bad if you're not used to the temperature. Once you're acclimated to a warmer climate, you are okay, but it takes a little bit of time to get used to it, so you're supposed to start out slow.
  • plarcade
    plarcade Posts: 125 Member
    Options

Imagine how the horse felt. :laugh:

The main thing is to stay hydrated. As long as you're sweating and not pushing yourself too much you're going to be fine. I used to have a job where I worked in an attic at over 140F for an hour or more at a time. Keep your fluid levels good and your body copes with it pretty well.
    Ha ha, well, horses aren't really designed for heat (great big muscles, low surface area to volume ratio), so they can suffer very badly, and need some very proactive cooling down after strenuous exercise in high temperatures..... bet you always wanted to know that (not) ;);)
    Thanks for the other info though, I might venture out a bit later when it cools down (and try to stay in the shade) :)