Opinions on the Lap Band

Options
I am due to have the lap band done on april 1st. As with most everyone here have tried everything under the sun to loose the weight. Now I am 40 in 4 days and weigh 297 at 5'3". Sleeping sitting up on the couch sitting up and sometimes can barely move around.
I was just having some last minute nerves and wanted to hear some opinions...good or bad. BIG BIG life changing decision.

Replies

• Keana
    Keana Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My niece in her forties thinks it is OK. She had it done and has lost 50 pounds. My sister's gynecologist said he is thinking of doing the lap band - that it is safe and it helps lose weight. For myself, I'm not sure I want to undergo surgery for losing weight but I may have to if my elbow doesn't stop bending to my mouth :) Keep us posted on how it goes for you because the rest of us care.
  • turtle080808
    Options
    I had gastric bypass 5 years ago. BEST move I ever made!! I was 24 and 267 pounds! I got tired just getting out of bed! Now I can do cardio for an hour straight! Best thing you can do is stick with the diet! Dont let yourself slip cause it leads to weight gain! YES you can gain it back.......It taked dedication to keep the weight off but it is SOOO worth it!!
  • chaamigo
    chaamigo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    there is a lady who goes to my childrens school who got it this time last year while i have worked VERY hard to lose about 50 pounds or more i guarantee she has lost over a hundred and only does walking. i saw her yesterday and i was like WOW she looks incredible i was so jealous.

BEST OF LUCK
  • youngs
    youngs Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    First of all I would like to tell you Good Luck..and then I would say I belive that everyone gets nervous when it comes to a big decission or life changing event..I also would say that if you have went thru all the process with the dr.s and you are mentally prepaired for this to go for it..if it is something that you are still not 100% sure on then I would suggest you call your Dr. and ask more questions..and if your still not 100% sure of this then but it off for little while longer till you are sure...but if it is just being nervous that is a normal feeling and follow your heart and go for it..

Best of luck and keep us all posted!!
  • sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Options
    I have a friend that had this done 2 years ago at the age of 43. She lost more weight prior to the surgery than after and is still overweight. She has followed all the rules and even had her thyroid checked to make sure it wasn't that. So I say this. Good Luck and remember that sometimes it works for people and sometimes it doesn't . But honestly if it doesn't work you can always go back and have the Gastric Bypass done.
  • stacey76
    stacey76 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I just had the lap band surgery last month on Feb. 25th. It is an overnight stay at the hospital and off work for a week. I didn't know that they don't actually fill the band until a month after they put it in. They put the band on and then let the stomache heal and make sure there is no leakage or problems before they fill it. I am due to go back at the ned of this month on the 29th for the first fill. I'm pretty excited about it but it's also alot of dicipline and work to lose the weight. The band is a tool and can be a failure just like any other weight loss program if you don't follow the rules. Tomorrow night will be my first class and support group. If you have any questions about what I'm experiencing right now, I'll be glad to reply. Good luck!
    Stacey
  • shanerylee
    shanerylee Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    My mom had it done several years ago. LIke anything follow EXACTLY what the doctor tells you to do before and after. Especially where you need to go get the band tightened and filled, its an important part of the process. If you aren't going to follow it, why go thru with it. Good for you for doing it. :) Im sure you will be happy and look great.
  • 33KIKI
    33KIKI Posts: 304
    Options
    Any surgery is scarey but this is one of those that really the band is a tool and you need to be ready to commit and work on it!! I was banded Oct 09 and have lost 62 pounds and i work hard to keep the weight away.

I have more to lose and there is a great group on women on here that are supportive(bandsters), helpful and always here to listen.

Although everyone on this site is helpful and great resources.

Best of luck to you and remember you didn't gain it overnight so don't expect to lose it overnight. Work hard and it's okay to make a mistake - just learn and keep going.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    In March of '09 I was at 318 pounds. Bad knees, bad back, limited endurance, extreme shortness of breath, snoring, and falling asleep every time I sat down in my recliner.
    March 2th I went into Curves and intended only to strengthen my knees and possibly increase my endurance with working the hydraulic machines. I had tried and failed so many diets that losing weight was not even on my radar. My mother had gastric bypass surgery years ago, never lost any significant amount of weight and has been in poor health ever since. I figured I was just destined to be Fat. I did not change my eating except to try to add some vegetables because I knew that I wasn't getting enough of them. (I have since changed my eating somewhat, but that is another topic, entirely).
    As of March 1, I have lost 131 pounds. I am walking at least 3 miles a day, seldom bothered by breathing issues, I don't snore, I take less than half the pain medicine I used to because my knees and back almost never bother me, and I almost never fall asleep in my chair anymore.

Surgery is a HUGE life decision, and it is only one of the tools available to you to be used as A Part of your fight to get healthy. I believe you CAN lose weight with--or without--the surgery.

:flowerforyou: Good Luck with whichever decision you make.
  • frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    The Lap band is a tool to be used in conjunction with diet and exercise. I was banded June 1 at 59 years old,and up through January 1 had lost about 25 lbs.My doctor has been pleased with my progress, as I am one of his "smaller" patients. I have since signed up on MFP and through careful monitoring I have lost 10 more lbs. I really find that I need to keep track of and log what I eat. I still have about 35 lbs more to get to my final goal. I am also taking medication for hypothyroidism, but all blood levels are normal at this point. The band has definitely helped, in that I don't feel so hungry all of the time. I have also increased my exercise from 60 minutes 2 or 3 times a week to at least 60 minutes 4 times a week and 30 minutes most other days. I have struggled with the weight issue for many years and hopefully have the tools I need to get this under control. It is still not an easy journey but the band has certainly helped.
  • Mary_Burris
    Mary_Burris Posts: 120
    Options
    March 30th 2009 almost 1 year ago I had Lapband Surgery it was the best BEST thing Ive ever done. I started at 300lbs and I am now down to 167 in slightly less than 1 year. I work hard and am ver determined. Just know that it is a TOOL and will require some will power in the beginning but as long as you are controling what you eat and you are doing exactly what the doctors say you will do great!
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I was nervous before the surgery too. But I'm so glad I did it. I had my surgery on June 23, 2008. I've lost at least 60 pounds, depending on when I start counting. I'm 42 years old, a wife and mom of a 3 year old little girl and an 11 year old step-son and I work more than full time as a software engineer. The friends I've made from this site have been very motivating for me to stay on track. Stay with us after your surgery and you'll reach your goal in no time.
  • brzynga
    brzynga Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Let me start by saying, I am 42, 5'3" and was 263 lbs the week before my surgery. I was banded in Jacksonville, FLA. 3/11/2010. I am now 243 lbs and can really tell a difference already! It was NOT easy but definitely not the hardest thing I have encountered. Surgery is never EASY! The first 3 days are trying (or were for me) however, that being said I did not take any pain meds and have been fine! The biggest thing is follow the instructions and..STAY HYDRATED!! This site is a must! The support and tools are the Best! Good luck with your journey and I am here if you need to ask ?'s.
  • Jparadise72
    Options
    In March of '09 I was at 318 pounds. Bad knees, bad back, limited endurance, extreme shortness of breath, snoring, and falling asleep every time I sat down in my recliner.
    March 2th I went into Curves and intended only to strengthen my knees and possibly increase my endurance with working the hydraulic machines. I had tried and failed so many diets that losing weight was not even on my radar. My mother had gastric bypass surgery years ago, never lost any significant amount of weight and has been in poor health ever since. I figured I was just destined to be Fat. I did not change my eating except to try to add some vegetables because I knew that I wasn't getting enough of them. (I have since changed my eating somewhat, but that is another topic, entirely).
    As of March 1, I have lost 131 pounds. I am walking at least 3 miles a day, seldom bothered by breathing issues, I don't snore, I take less than half the pain medicine I used to because my knees and back almost never bother me, and I almost never fall asleep in my chair anymore.

Surgery is a HUGE life decision, and it is only one of the tools available to you to be used as A Part of your fight to get healthy. I believe you CAN lose weight with--or without--the surgery.

:flowerforyou: Good Luck with whichever decision you make.

You are my inspiration!! Great job, Im going to do it on my own too, thanks for the great post!!
  • FelizMi
    FelizMi Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I shelled out over $15,000 and was banded 12/22/09, I feel it was the best decision I ever made! I just wish I would have done it sooner.

It was very frustrating at first because I was not losing as fast as others who were banded at the same time, but my doctor has been conservative with fills, which I'm glad because I have not had problems of food getting stuck and vomiting as some I hear do. I've lost almost 35 lbs since being banded, but have lost more in inches, I went from a size 30/32 to 22/24! I work out 3-4 times a week and have completely changed my eating habits. It has not been easy, it is still a life change, a permanent diet so to speak. I still have some treats and give into cravings, but I don't make it a habit. It still takes willpower. The band is a tool and you have to do your part to make it work for you. What works best for me is planning my meals ahead of time and logging everything on here.

Good luck, when you start seeing results, you'll be so happy you did it!
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    So how are you doing?
    :flowerforyou:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    No one can decide if the surgery is right for you except you. It is a choice only you can make, and the purpose of the post is NOT to second guess anyone who decides to do lap band or gastric bypass.

I have not had either procedure, and have been overweight pretty much continuously since I was in my mid-twenties. I just had my 56th birthday, and am female 5'3". I have lost weight on more than one occasion, and then gained it all back "with interest." At my highest, I weighed 245 and although I thought about surgery in passing, I never seriously considered it.

This is why--there are no guarantees. I have an acquaintance who lost about 150 lbs. and was at a healthy body weight on Jenny Craig about 20 years ago, but went back to old habits and gained back every pound plus more. She had gastric bypass about 10 years ago. In her first year she lost 20 lbs. It is now many years since, and she has probably only dropped 50 lbs. and is still easily 150 lbs. over a healthy weight. Her metabolism is so messed up from her prior dieting experiences that she just can't lose. She also has to continue to deal with the logistics of eating with gastric bypass, and there are challenges.

For myself, I found MFP a year ago, and made permanent changes in what I eat and my activity level. I lost 50 lbs. in about 7 1/2 months. I still need to lose more, but because of my new habits, I am maintaining for now, and now that a personal situation is over with, I am planning on getting back onto a losing streak again.

Last year, I changed the department I worked in and my new supervisor appeared to be very health-conscious--always talking about working out, etc., and not to be judgmental, but the reason for her interest was obvious, as she was about 60 - 80 lbs. overweight.

At first I was impressed with her focus, and shared information on foods I had found helpful, such as sandwich thins. Then came the team meetings. The first one I attended, she brought bagels and full fat cream cheese, and insisted everyone have one. I refused, and took some flack for it. Subsequently, there were muffins. There were potlucks at which she and another person, also overweight, always consumed food with great "enthusiasm."

I continued to watch what I was doing and lose. By February, it was clear that the supervisor and this other guy had taken a dislike to me, and it wasn't until about a week before I left the company that I figured out what was going on. She, and the other guy, who also went out of his way to be unpleasant toward me, had BOTH had lap band surgery, and since their eating habits remain atrocious, neither of them have lost hardly any weight!!

As I reviewed previous events, I realized her attitude toward me changed when she found out that I had lost more than twice what she had in less time and without surgery. (She just assumed I had surgery because I was losing.) In the last meeting I attended, which was a pot luck, both of them were making jokes about how they had to eat lots now because they were going to have their lap bands tightened in the next few days and wouldn't be able to indulge themselves.

I have moved on and no longer work with these two, but they are examples of people who appear to me were not very well-screened prior to surgery, and it doesn't appear to me that either of them have derived much benefit from it.

Based on my personal observations, I would suggest anyone thinking about lap band or gastric surgery do an experiment whereby they do portion control, make good food choices and exercise to the best of their ability. After looking at the results at the end of two months, it is possible that they might not feel the surgery is needed. On the other hand, if you are unable to change and control your eating habits before you have surgery, it is more than likely that you will have the same problem after surgery.

If that sounds harsh, it is not meant to offend anyone. But it is intended to make anyone thinking about surgery to be sure they have their head on straight before proceeding. Surgery can be very helpful. I know of someone on this thread in my age group who has done fantastic since her surgery. I think she has lost about 130 lbs. in less than a year and a half, but she has made major changes in her eating habits, and she is into running and training to do a triathlon.

Whatever you decide, I wish you well.
  • Leafy74
    Leafy74 Posts: 6
    Options
    How did you go with your decision...

I underwent surgery just over a week ago. It's a pretty big decision to make, but like the others have said, I think it's the best decision I have made.

All the best!:happy: