Faster Weightloss ?

Options
13»

Replies

• msfaithful
    msfaithful Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    On average I seem to be losing 1.5 lbs. a week. I would like to see that number go up. My goal is to lose 10 lbs a month. Any suggestions ? My diary is public so feel free to have a look see...LOL !
    I'm open to all comments and suggestions. Don't be shy, lemme have it !

I wish I could get a 1.5lbs loss every week. I don't always make the best food choices, but here are my thoughts...

Eat more calories (cut out the the fast foods) - if you're eating it, log it :-), if time is an issue try preparing a week's worth of meals and freeze them. Then you can bring them to work and pop 'em in the microwave at lunch time.

Exercise - Oct 8 to Nov 8 report show 5 entries, you gotta get moving :-), start slow (3 days per week for 30 minutes) then increase your days and make sure you have at least one rest day.

Water, Water, Water and more Water - if you're drinking it, log it :-), if you're not...start.
  • Cindy103
    Cindy103 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Your focus is misplaced for one. You should not be worried about fast weight loss, you should be worried about proper weight loss. Losing too much weight to fast can not only be dangerous, but you have a great chance of putting it back on. If you’re looking to make a lifestyle change you need to focus on doing it the right way.

Currently, you’re not eating enough, and that 1.5 pound / week loss will soon come to a complete halt. This is what is known as starvation mode. Your metabolism will slow, and progress will revert if you are not only eating properly, but also not enough calories. I encourage you to checkout my Facebook page: Facebook.com/TaiFitness. Scroll down to my plateau video & matter of fact, check out everything there.

Once you get your focus off the scale, and just do the RIGHT THING you will lose weight, guaranteed. Liberating myself from the scale was the best thing I’ve ever done & I’ve lost more weight because my focus isn’t on that number, it’s on building endurance, eating clean and doing things the right way. Good luck.

P.S. in case you were curious, It took me a little over a year to lose this much weight, including four months of plateau (not losing any weight at all because I wasn’t eating enough!!)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Add sodium to your macros (you can do this under Settings). With all of the fast food, you could be retaining water weight. Try to keep it under 2000 mg per day, and make sure you drink your eight cups of water so you can flush it out.

Do you exercise? An hour-long walk is good for the mind, body, and soul. No need to get crazy at first. Just build up to it. I started with walking and then moved to DVDs. I probably won't do any weight training until I'm under 200. I just use hand weights for now. I'm trying to gradually sculpt the muscles and prevent loose skin. I'll go for ripped once I'm at goal weight. :)

Some women have trouble losing more than 2 pounds per week due to various hormones, our cycles, etc. Even at 300+, the most I've ever lost in a week is 2.3 pounds. I'm happy with my little 1-2 pound losses, though. A loss is a loss. :)

Try to avoid Quick Add calories if possible. Even if you went to a party and had lots of different foods, do your best to try and remember what you ate. I know it can be a pain to log everything, but it really is very important. Sometimes I take a picture of my plate with my phone so I can add everything when I get home.

Just a an fyi, heavy weight training can help prevent loose skin. And it prevents muscle loss... so starting now will provide better and faster results than if you wait.
  • Cindy103
    Cindy103 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    AMEN, to the ol starvation mode!!! I think everyone has fallen prey to that monster! Eat well & work out!!! Not rocket science is it?!
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Blah! Don't listen to all the crazies that are telling you that fast food is the devil incarnate. They're just jealous you can eat fast food and lose weight.

Obviously, what you're doing is working. 1.5 pounds / week is a fabulous amount to be losing. Assuming you're doing strength training to encourage the preservation of lean muscle mass, then I wouldn't change anything. If you lose weight too quickly, you jeopardize losing muscle, which is what your body needs to continue burning calories.

Don't try to fix what ain't broken.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    On average I seem to be losing 1.5 lbs. a week. I would like to see that number go up. My goal is to lose 10 lbs a month. Any suggestions ? My diary is public so feel free to have a look see...LOL !
    I'm open to all comments and suggestions. Don't be shy, lemme have it !

All that matters is calories. A healthy balanced diet within a calorie budget for a deficit that is right for YOU is all that matters for weight loss.

Exercise is for making your lean body mass pretty (especially lifting weights) for when the fat is gone. Losing fat with no muscle is ugly and cardio alone will not make you pretty. You cannot out exercise too many calories.

Eating at a calorie deficit is hard on people; even a small deficit puts your body in a state of flux with hormones and such. Everyone is different. Some people can handle a deeper calorie deficit than others, this is not right or wrong, it just is. Stress in your life affects your hunger hormones; lack of sleep, fatigue, job stress, family stress, financial stress, etc. Add in emotional eating issues and it gets even more complicated. Most people can only handle so much change/stress at once, they try to do too much and fail. Sometimes it might be a better strategy to eat at maintenance and make some small changes first, it really depends on how much stress you are taking in at the moment.

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You cannot make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.

To find the exact calories needed for YOU to be in a healthy sustainable calorie deficit is the right answer. Wait, if you need to adjust by 100 do it, wait, adjust, wait, adjust, wait. The tortoise wins this race.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    1.5-2 lbs a week is a great weight loss. It looks like you eat fast food almost daily. I would try changing that up. If you can't cut it out completely, then maybe make a mini goal of only having fast food once a week. And try healthier alternatives of fast food. Instead of a Burger King Whopper, opt to have a grilled chicken sandwich instead. What made me successful in my weight loss was four things: Portion control, moderation, substitution and exercise. Sure, you can have those guilty pleasures from time to time, but portion control and moderation is very important!

Also, changing up your workout routine every 3-4 workouts will help keep your body guessing and burn those calories. You don't want your body to fall into an exercise routine because then after a while it is able to predict what it will be doing and won't have to work as hard, which results in fewer burnt calories.

Aside from the fast food, keep up what your doing. Some people can lose weight fast, others are a bit slower. Find what works best for YOU!

Good luck and you totally got this!!
  • veggiehottie
    veggiehottie Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    It takes 9 months to have a baby. Any way to speed that up?

Lol
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    It takes 9 months to have a baby. Any way to speed that up?

Some people are just soooo cool :grumble:

YOUR NOT EVEN BEING NEGATIVE. This is just some random rude comment. Too much time on your hands?

This is such a positive post! Thank you for pointing out that discussing something that takes a long time and there's good reasons not to speed it up is random on a thread where op has a goal that will take some time and several posters are pointing out that there's good reason not to speed it up. And thanks for your supportive words in how you commented. I can tell you really took your time to consider what you were responding to and thought deeply about crafting your response. Just what our community needs.
  • veggiehottie
    veggiehottie Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I know it is hard being so patient, but you really should not lose more than that per week! This is healthy and sustainable, and this way you wont't get lots of loose skin! :)
  • robin820
    robin820 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Definitely get rid of the KFC, McDOnalds, and Burger King. Those aren't healthy choices at all. Subway is better for you then those places. Have you heard slow and steady wins the race. It took more then a week to gain the weight its gonna take a while to lose it properly! Good luck!
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    When people are eating stuff like that around me, I ask if I can just smell it lol It makes me laugh and them too. It helps me cope lol

I've been know to hold an empty chocolate bar wrapper to my nose and inhale fondly..tee hee
  • Brandi1525
    Brandi1525 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that laugh ! I love it !!!
  • Brandi1525
    Brandi1525 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time eating more. I have never been a big eater, I just ate the wrong things. I get full so easily that it's really hard for me to reach my calorie goals.