berating myself because I should have more willpower

Options
so, I was really prepared today and wrote down everything I planned to eat and logged it in. For lunch it was a spinach salad and 1 cup of homemade pasta and sauce. Pretty good, but when lunch time came around my officemates invited me to lunch with them and I said yes. We went to a local restaurant and while I should have gotten a salad I got french fries and a pepperoni roll (where I picked off the pepperoni since I don't eat meat). What is wrong with me that I can't just say no thanks, I brought my lunch?? I sabotage my weight loss attempts everytime. I'm so sick of me.

Replies

• KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    In my unprofessional opinion the best thing to do is not to say no to lunch invitations. The more you make this fit into your life for you and the more resonable you are with yourself the better you will do. Do some home work the Eat this Not That Books are wonderful and they give ideas of what you can have. Or do this, go online the the restraunt's website and do some home work and plan what you are eating in advance. Of course you do not want salad at a resturant you can have that at home plan your day around it cut calories and fat the rest of the day and instead of the pepporoni roll find something a little lower cal on the menu but something tasty enough so you feel like you got to go out to eat. That is what I have been doing and it's been working out great.

Good Luck and try not to be too hard on yourself :heart: :flowerforyou: :happy:
  • Ysabel
    Ysabel Posts: 4
    Options
    That happens to the best of us. Don't stress over it. Just do a little extra working out tonight. I usually like to eat my lunch before my actual "lunch time" at work because this way I get to go out with the girls and not be tempted. We usually hit a food court so there is no pressure for me to actually buy food there. I'm good with a coffee while they pound down the McD's.

Cheer up!! It's just a blip.
  • melroseg2002
    Options
    Thanks guys, those are good tips and I feel a little better about the slip up :smile:
  • Iffer75
    Iffer75 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I absolutely agree with Kimber on this. If we plan to go out I go to the restaraunt website and find some good eats. Also, remember you can have them prepare the food to your liking. Don't worry about what they think. You are the customer and they want you to enjoy your food with them.

Remember this is a lifestyle change not a diet. It will be hard at times and there will be good times too. Take it one day at a time and remember you can say no. You can do this. Just keep in mind why you want to do this and move forward.

A suggestion, find pictures of people that inspire you. Print them out and post them on your fridge, mirror in your bathroom, even one at your desk. That way when you feel like eating all sorts of unhealthy food you can look at them and they will help you walk away.

We are all here to help you. Come back and post often. Please let us know how you are doing. I wish you the best of luck in your journey to a happier and healthier lifestyle. :bigsmile:
  • alisaperry74
    Options
    melrose, please don't beat yourself up any mroe than you are. True, you made an unwise decision, but berating yourself is not going to do any good. What's important is what you do to keep yourself from feeling the way you do now in the future.
    What I recommend to prevent this situation from happening again is to send a nice email to your work friends explaining your intentions to live a healthier lifestyle and bring your lunch in order to avoid temptation at t restaurant. Explain to them that while you enjoy their company, you've made a commitment to yourself to make some changes. Maybe suggest that a couple of days a week everybody brings their lunch and their tennis shoes and go for a walk at lunch instead of going out to eat.

Any friend who would not understand this is probably not a true friend. I hope my suggestion helps. Stop beating yourself up and get back at it. Best of luck to you!!:flowerforyou: