too much protein?

Options
Im lifting and trying to do two shakes a day, whey. Can too much protein be hurting fat loss?

Replies

• rickerred12
    Options
    What do you mean by too much? 150 - 200g?
  • Casfarren
    Casfarren Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering the same thing! I tend to eat ALOT of protein throughout the day...mostly because alot of the things I like are high in protein (turkey, chicken, etc.) so I find that some days I am eating almost double the protein that I am supposed to! I am eating under on calories usually so my question is whether or not the excess protein could end up hindering weight-loss in the long run.
  • 2001Frank
    2001Frank Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    id say 150...
  • rickerred12
    Options
    Nope, WHO (World Health Org) recommends .8g per pound of body weight. BBers and persons who lift weights need any where from 1 - 1.6g/lb any not used by the body will be passed as waste. Protein is the last thing the body will use for energy, very hard to convert to fuel, easier to expel it. I would say if you are not loosing BF you are taking in too much carbs or fat.

Lifestyle/Training Goal Daily Protein Needs Lifestyle/Training Goal Daily Protein Needs
    Bodybuilding 1.0 - 1.6g/lb bodyweight Endurance 0.7 - 0.9g/lb bodyweight
    Power & Speed 0.9 - 1.1g/lb bodyweight Trauma Recovery 0.9 - 1.4g/lb bodyweight
    Dieting 0.35 - 1.0g/lb bodyweight Stressed 0.45 - 0.7g/lb bodyweight
    Got the numbers above from bodybuilding.com
  • 2001Frank
    2001Frank Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    great thank you. very helpful
  • awesomek001
    awesomek001 Posts: 167 Member
    Options

Lifestyle/Training Goal Daily Protein Needs Lifestyle/Training Goal Daily Protein Needs

Interesting numbers. Thanks for posting those. Protein is one of those things I struggle with - trying to find the balance of what's the right amount. I'm definitely going to look at those numbers more seriously in my list of macros.
  • spramn
    spramn Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Chicken Breast and Egg whites are the two best and natural forms of protien that i find easy to work into diet if your struggling.
  • rickerred12
    Options

Interesting numbers. Thanks for posting those. Protein is one of those things I struggle with - trying to find the balance of what's the right amount. I'm definitely going to look at those numbers more seriously in my list of macros.

Remember this:
    Lean muscle gain
    50% protein
    35% carbs
    15% fat
    That is just a guide line you have to figure out what works for you. And of course if you want to add mass this will not work the ratios will have to be changed.