it's official

Options
Okay, I just got back from Walmart and bought a digital scale for weighing my food out accurately. I am bound and determined to do this right this time! When it says 4 oz of Chicken breast, 4 oz it is.

Replies

• epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I would be lost without my scale. I am an awful guesser.
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    How much was it?
  • mbruskotter
    Options
    Good for you!:smile: It will make a huge difference in the way you look at food. At least that's what it did for me. Before 4oz of food looked sounded so small....it's not. 1oz of cheese is a lot and dont't get me started on 4oz of shredded turkey for a sandwich...its massive. Before i used to order 12 and 16oz steaks and ate all of the mashed potatoes on my plate plus more....now i wonder how i ever did it....talk about overkill and ridiculous serving sizes. My food intake is now much bigger than my eyes ever were now that i know how much i'm eating and all i really need (hope that makes sense) Huge servings don't appeal to me anymore cuz i know that half of the plate is plenty and i could not have done that without my scale. Best of Luck
  • elmo613
    elmo613 Posts: 6
    Options
    Good for you! I should follow your lead, which scale did you buy?
  • Desiderata
    Options
    how much do these scales usually run? how accurate are they?
  • donna56
    donna56 Posts: 412
    Options
    How much was it?

The scale was $9.58 including tax
  • donna56
    Options
    Good for you! I should follow your lead, which scale did you buy?

It is called Mainstays Kitchen Scale and it weighs up to 7 lbs.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I have a postage scale that goes from .01 oz to 70 lbs.
    since it is accurate to the 100th of an ounce, it should work fine for food too right?

I usually buy an "approximately" one pound pack of meat and eat "about" a quarter of it to estimate my 4 oz, but I'm wondering how accurate that really is! :laugh:
  • donna56
    Options
    since it is accurate to the 100th of an ounce, it should work fine for food too right?

I usually buy an "approximately" one pound pack of meat and eat "about" a quarter of it to estimate my 4 oz, but I'm wondering how accurate that really is! :laugh:

Trust me, I am far from knowing anything concrete about weightloss but I don't see why you couldn't use the scale you use, weight is weight right.
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    Wow! I'm gonna go get one tonight =p
  • donna56
    Options
    Wow! I'm gonna go get one tonight =p

It's in the gadget isle LOL
  • simona1972
    simona1972 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I bought one from WalMart a few weeks ago. I was guessing - using the "palm of your hand" method for meat and fish and wondered how accurate I was. I LOVE the scale. My dad always looks at me funny when I take it out to weigh meat. His philosophy is "just eat what you want". I lived that philosophy too....but I got to 350lbs and he's 125lbs of solid muscle.
  • donna56
    Options
    how much do these scales usually run? how accurate are they?

They have one there for like $4.00 but I went one better in hopes that is pretty accurate. I used to work at Arbys so I can pretty much guess how much sliced meat is, so I took some bologna out of the fridge and guest it's weight and it pretty much said what I thought. Besides, it will keep me from cheating lol
  • Karna6e
    Karna6e Posts: 57
    Options

Ew nice call. I have one too. Just going to put a piece of Saran wrap on it though :laugh:
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I have the Biggest Loser digital scale, and it ran me about $20 at Bed Bath & Beyond. I loooooooooove my scale!