Four, homemade, diet-friendly recipes

Options
Lynn_babcock
Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
These are some homemade recipes I've put into the recipe calculator that are actually not too bad for calories.
#1.)
Broccoli Potato Soup
Makes 20 cups
92 calories per cup

2 # 12 ounces potatoes
Water
1 # 10 ounces broccoli
1/2 ounce fresh mashed garlic
1 can cream of chicken soup (10.5 oz)
4 Tablespoons chicken bouillon powder
1 can evaporated milk

Directions are for using a 5.5 quart pot. Put about 1/4 pot of water on high heat. Scrub and cube potatoes (about 1/2" cubes). Add to pot. If water doesn't full cover them, add more. Once they start to boil reduce to medium heat. Cut broccoli, use peeled stems, leaves, and tops. Add to pot, broccoli should just barley stick out of water, if it doesn't then add more water. Peel and mash your garlic, or use a garlic press, add that to pot. Add can of cream of chicken soup. Use some water to rinse out can and put that in your pot too. Stir that in then add your bouillon powder. Stir. When broccoli and potatoes are tender add the evaporated milk. This should bring your water level to about 1.5" from the top. Allow to simmer about 10 minutes then turn off heat. Rinse milk can with some water and add to pot after it is off.. bring the liquid level dangerously close to the top. -- The original recipe calls for either ham (for adults), or hotdogs for children. If you need meat in your soup you can either measure and add to each bowl, or add it into your own recipe. You usually use 1 # of diced meat, but it makes good soup without.
#2.)
Cabbage Jut
Makes 9 cups
187 calories per cup

3.5#'s cubed russet potatoes
1# 3oz cabbage (red or green) a little more is fine
1 tsp salt
1.5 tsp garlic salt
6 sliced crispy cooked bacon drained

Put cubed potatoes and cubed cabbage in a pot with water. I leave skins on the potatoes. Us just enough water to come within an inch of the top of your potatoes. Bring to boil then reduce heat to medium-medium high. Stir occasionally, cook until soft and potatoes are falling apart. Mash or use hand mixer until fairly well blended... you won't get it all. Cook bacon.. skillet, bake, or use precooked. Add salt, garlic salt, and crumbled bacon. Should make 9 cups. Serving size is 1 cup.
#3.)
Chicken/ Poultry Gravy
Makes 5 cups
99 calories per cup

1 can cream of chicken condensed soup (10-ish oz can)
3 cans cold tap water
5 tablespoons corn starch
1 tablespoon Chicken Base (I suggest low/less-sodium)

I would suggest using Better than Bouillon less-sodium chicken base. The regular makes it pretty salty tasting. Put all ingredients in a pot on medium heat. Stir occasionally with a whisk so it doesn't stick to the bottom. Boil for 5-10 minutes until it thickens.
#4.)
Salsa, Fresh (uncooked)
Makes 16 cups
43 calories per cup

5 pounds fresh tomatoes
2 pounds onions, white preferred, yellow are ok
6 ounces (1 bundle) fresh cilantro
4 fresh jalapeno peppers
2 tablespoons garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 cups zero-calorie apple cider vinegar

Dice the tomatoes and onion by hand into small pieces (about 1/2" size). If you have a food processor or blender I recommend that for the cilantro and jalapenos. Remove bad leaves from cilantro and removes seeds from jalapenos. Put in blender/food processor with 1 cup of apple cider vinegar. Blend until very small pieces. Dump into salsa, use remaining 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar to rinse out the blender jar and dump that into salsa too. Add remaining ingredients. Stir well. Refrigerate excess. Keeps several weeks in the fridge.

Replies