Tow-behind bike child carrier

Options
VelociMama
VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
Hi all,

I'm considering buying a towable child carrier like this:

mkLXMkZbvytp-LTcRrzR46w.jpg

I have a Trek Navigator hybrid bike, and I'm hoping to use this to carry a single child on paved bike trails (non-road) and possibly some dirt or gravel trails.

I'm wondering if any of you have purchased one in the past and what model you got. Do you still use it? Did your child like it?

Any reviews or recommendations would be helpful.

Thanks!

Replies

• jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I've been considering something like that too.
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I just bought Logan a Burley Solo. I had to get a different connection point from their website since my mountain bike has rear disc brakes. It rides like a dream, and is only even noticeable when climbing hills. We've only used it a couple of times so far since I waited for our heat to come down.

He loves it, but then again, after running hundreds of miles with him in his stroller, he demands the wind in his hair. :smile:

solo_angle_red12.jpg
  • VelociMama
    Options
    I just bought Logan a Burley Solo. I had to get a different connection point from their website since my mountain bike has rear disc brakes. It rides like a dream, and is only even noticeable when climbing hills. We've only used it a couple of times so far since I waited for our heat to come down.

He loves it, but then again, after running hundreds of miles with him in his stroller, he demands the wind in his hair. :smile:

solo_angle_red12.jpg

That's awesome! How do you find out if the standard attachment will work or not?
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I want for myself...:love: Who's going to pull me?
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    bump for everyone's opinions!
  • ccadroz93
    ccadroz93 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    My sister had one and pulled my niece and nephew in it-they loved it! She never went off road though-it was all on the street.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

solo_angle_red12.jpg

I've got one like this, kid falls asleep in it all the time. I get like 3 blocks.
  • frank513
    frank513 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm considering buying a towable child carrier like this:

mkLXMkZbvytp-LTcRrzR46w.jpg

I have a Trek Navigator hybrid bike, and I'm hoping to use this to carry a single child on paved bike trails (non-road) and possibly some dirt or gravel trails.

I'm wondering if any of you have purchased one in the past and what model you got. Do you still use it? Did your child like it?

Any reviews or recommendations would be helpful.

Thanks!

burley bee - 279 at most local bike shops (support them as they will stand behind what they sell you!)

FYI- I manage a LBS- and we sell these- they are AWESOME!

GOOD LUCK
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what these things are or their purpose but still posting for cuteness!
  • VelociMama
    Options
    I have no idea what these things are or their purpose but still posting for cuteness!

You put the kid in it and can tow it behind a bike so kiddo can hit the bike trails with me :)
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,963 Member
    Options
    We had an older model of bike trailer when the kids were, well, kids. It worked well and added to our workout. We never had any issues with it and when the kids were big enough for their own bikes, we gave it to a friend whose kids were still small. Well worth having!!
  • azwaa
    azwaa Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    One thing to consider is if the carrier has a plastic or canvas bottom. Canvas is lighter, but not a durable. Also the type of metal in construction makes a big weight difference, you may regret not paying for the lighter material after several miles of towing kids.
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Here's my set-up

Bike_trailer.jpg
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    We got one off craig's list. It also doesn't attach well to our full suspension mountain bikes. It attaches to the frame through rather than going through the center of the wheel. On the full suspensions that part of the frame is too thick. It attached fine to my old hard tail, or to my husband's cyclo-cross.

It's also convenient for runny / fast walks with 2 kids. I use it as a stroller for the 2 younger kids while the older rides her bike.
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    I have one for my little brother, I would say it works pretty well! As long as the kid isnt too heavy. Then it's kinda hard to pull all that weight. Good burn though
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    Options
    We had a Trek for our kids and loved it! Definitely a great investment - spent many evenings cruising around while they conked out in the back with their blankies and stuffies.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    I want for myself...:love: Who's going to pull me?

Amen.
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    We used to give our dog rides with something like it. He loved it! :)