How to properly eat?

Options
As you all know, there are three 'methods' to how people are told to eat.

1. Eat small meals throughout the day to curb hunger & keep metabolism running.
2. Eat three main meals with two small meals.
3. Do one of the above but stop before 7-8 PM to prevent fat storage overnight?

I do the first choice, but I would like to know what's right so that I can properly feed myself. If it matters, I do 1200 calories daily with 30% Carbs, 50% Protein, 20% Fat for the sake of muscle toning. Which way is the best way to eat?

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

I do the first choice, but I would like to know what's right so that I can properly feed myself. If it matters, I do 1200 calories daily with 30% Carbs, 50% Protein, 20% Fat for the sake of muscle toning. Which way is the best way to eat?

throw all this "information" out the window

QUIT reading popular magazines that promote this old thinking

learn something about nutrition

calculate your calorie requirements and subtract 20% then eat this daily whenever you want..in one meal or 20 meals

keep it simple

get back to me in 2 months
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Since when are there "3 methods" to how people are told to eat? Told by whom?....I eat 3 meals a day and snack very little. I have many clients/patients who do this as well. Apparently I've screwed it up, since this is not listed as one of the "methods".

As far as macros...Adjust those to what is reasonable for you and allows you to eat a variety of foods. What you have now is fine if you are feeling satisfied and meeting your goals.If its not working for you then tweak it a little.
  • Kristin2984
    Options
    I'd say do whatever works for you and doesn't leave you feeling starved. For me, i eat breakfast around ten, lunch around 1, a small snack before dinner, dinner around 830 and then another small snack. Dinner is my biggest meal. I get tired if I eat a big lunch and im not a huge breakfast eater. pre dinner snack is around 100 calories, just to tide me over maybe something like an apple. i think everyone is different.
    Ive heard the small meals thing backfires a lot because people arent really eating 5 small meals. Not measuring or underestimating ingredients and they end up way over calories for the day. Calories per day is the biggest thing, eat them whatever way you choose for your own body.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter how often you eat, it has no effect on your weight loss, it's simply a matter of preference.

I've always hated the "mini meals" idea - totally unnecessary in my opinion. I'd rather have three filling, substantial meals than be grazing all day never feeling satisfied & always worrying about what I'd be eating in the next 2 hours. I do 3 meals a day, sometimes one snack or dessert.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter how often you eat or the time of day.
  • AyaKara
    AyaKara Posts: 220
    Options
    I don't read popular magazines, I don't read magazines at all nor do I watch TV, thanks for that though :laugh: I wrote these 'three methods' simply off of what I've been reading off of MFP. People do one of them all of the time, so I had to ask. As for learning about nutrition, I've been exercising & eating right long before -- 4-5 years to be precise -- joining MFP; I only joined because I found that it is a good, community-based site to work towards your goals. Thank you for your response, though, Dave :flowerforyou:

So far, mini meals works best for me (I used to be starving all day before I started exercising, when I would be doing three meals a day, & then overeating once I did eat), so I'm glad to see that I can stick with it.

Thank you everyone for your responses! :smile:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Which way is the best way to eat?

The best way is the way that keeps you happy and satiated while staying within your calorie goals. Even if it isn't one of the choices above. How much you eat is what matters. When is mostly personal preference, unless you have been advised by a doctor to eat a certain intervals due to a medical condition.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I eat all day and sim for 1200 by the timeunch is over--personally feel like poo when I'm starving.
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter how you ate. All the info that you should ate 5 - 7 times a day or should not ate before bad, etc are old and outdated. It's all about calories - how much not how often. You could ate 1 big meal a day containing 2000 cals and all your macros or you could ate 6 small ones, 2000 cals in total for all of them combined, all though the day, result will be the same. It's really all about preference...
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    throw all this "information" out the window

QUIT reading popular magazines that promote this old thinking

learn something about nutrition

calculate your calorie requirements and subtract 20% then eat this daily whenever you want..in one meal or 20 meals

keep it simple

get back to me in 2 months
    This
  • Judas_Queen
    Judas_Queen Posts: 251 Member
    Options

none are "right"

i know of people that ate the "intermittent fasting way" and didnt eat all day until maybe 2 pm until 10pm and then started the cycle again.

just eat healthy food, exercise regularly and it will work for you.

now.. let me get back to my chips! *yum*.

p.s. what is muscle toning?
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Orally.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Open mouth, insert food, chew, swallow.

There is no such thing as "muscle toning."
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I don't read popular magazines, I don't read magazines at all nor do I watch TV, thanks for that though :laugh: I wrote these 'three methods' simply off of what I've been reading off of MFP. People do one of them all of the time, so I had to ask. As for learning about nutrition, I've been exercising & eating right long before -- 4-5 years to be precise -- joining MFP; I only joined because I found that it is a good, community-based site to work towards your goals. Thank you for your response, though, Dave :flowerforyou:

So far, mini meals works best for me (I used to be starving all day before I started exercising, when I would be doing three meals a day, & then overeating once I did eat), so I'm glad to see that I can stick with it.

Thank you everyone for your responses! :smile:

I certainly don't think "people do one of them all the time". If that was the case, you wouldn't have so many responses against these myths. Having said that, you will obviously find them promoted here as well, along with a strong "my way or the highway" attitude. So, I agree, throw away the myths.

The best way to eat? The way that works for you. I personally, am more likely to overeat if I wait too long in between meals so I find myself eating meals of 300-600 calories every 3-4 hours. This is a norm, but not a routine. I work late nights at a bar, as well as a 9-5 day job in between full time studies. My daily schedule is far from consistent, and there are days where I am not hungry until well past noon, and others where the thought of dinner makes me nauseous.

The secret is figuring out what works for you and what is best for your personal progress. There are small biological details that effect hormone production based on the time of day and certain foods eaten, but they are certainly not overwhelming enough to make or break your weight loss. In addition, I find it easier to ensure a deficit over a week rather than day to day. This means that if I am not hungry on a slow office day, I could be several hundred calories under. On the contrary, I could be insatiable after a weight training day and go over. I hope this helped!
  • RosscoBoscko
    RosscoBoscko Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    This is by no means a recommendation, it's just what I do.

Breakfast - between 5.30 to 8.30 depending on if eat before leave for work or after I arrive. Anything from glass of smoothie to cooked breakfast depending how many calories I feel I need or food plan for rest of day.

11ish - (Not always but usually) Snack, ie protein shake or fruit

Lunch - Usually something light like Tuna pitta breads or chciken salad

3-4ish - (Not always but usually) see 11ish, depending if going to gym, if so may have protein shake after gym instead

Dinner - 9ish usually if not later, fish and lots of green veg, mushrooms etc, sometimes throw in carbs like potato etc but not too many days per week.

Seems to be working for me but each to their own.
  • AyaKara
    AyaKara Posts: 220
    Options
    By muscle toning, I meant muscle-building, strength training, body toning, etc. I appreciate my mistake being pointed out, but I would've appreciated if some would have actually answered my question without being facetious or callous. Thank you :flowerforyou:

For those of you that answered my question, thank you! I really appreciate it highly. I'll continue eating my mini meals, as it's what works best for me. Thank you :smile: :heart:
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    By muscle toning, I meant muscle-building, strength training, body toning, etc. I appreciate my mistake being pointed out, but I would've appreciated if some would have actually answered my question without being facetious or callous. Thank you :flowerforyou:

For those of you that answered my question, thank you! I really appreciate it highly. I'll continue eating my mini meals, as it's what works best for me. Thank you :smile: :heart:

Good luck dear... you can add me for meal ideas etc if you'd like.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    yeah, as long as you chew, I think you're good.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    It's all myth - unless you find one system actually makes a difference for you and you body type. Don't eat late if it affects your sleep, otherwise its fine..
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    I only eat from 7pm-11pm. It doesn't matter when you eat. The metabolism myth is ****. I lost so much more weight once I started intermittent fasting. It's a great way to reduce appetite. Also, I get to have a nice big meal for dinner.