Gain muscle without lifting much?

Options
In the last 4 weeks, I have lost a total of 0.4lbs. I eat as reasonably as I can, but since I live in China and have food prepared for me much of the time, I cannot count calories. I have done heavy lifting only twice during the four weeks, mostly trying to cope with my 12-14 hour workdays. I do, however, walk 3-4 hours a day at work, and walk up at least 10 flights of stairs. I'm very active on my days off as well.

As I said, I have only lost 0.4lbs, but my clothes seem to fit much looser. I feel like I am a third to half a size smaller than I was a month ago. This would make sense if I was lifting a lot and converting fat to muscle with is more dense, but I'm not doing enough for that, or am I? Does walking and stairs build muscle? Would two lifting sessions be enough to build any appreciable muscle?

Stats
5'9
SW 172.3 (~29% BF)
CW 160.3
GW ~21% BF

Replies

• lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    ?
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Depends on exercise selection. A couple sessions of curls and kickbacks, not much. A couple sessions of deadlifts, squats, bench, ohp, rows, and chin ups, sure.
  • lilawolf
    Options
    Not the deadlifts yet (I'd really like someone who knows what they are doing and speaks english to watch my form the first time), but I did assisted chin ups, bench pressing, bent over rows, dips, leg presses (the squat rack has been occupied), and a little ab work. All to failure or within one rep of it.

If two sessions have done this much for me, that gives me a whole lot of motivation to make more time to get in there. The muscle aches always make me feel so sexy for the next couple of days too.
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Forget the scale and start keeping track of your measurements. It's tough to do, but it is a better indication of what is going on.
  • dr3wman
    dr3wman Posts: 205
    Options
    I don't think two lifting sessions would produce a dramatic effect where your clothes would be loose. The only way to know for sure is taking measurements every week. Keep lifting though, it's definetly helping!
  • lilawolf
    Options
    I really wish I had taken measurements at the beginning of this. I knew better! My scale gives me BF readings which I was also using, until I realized that they were completely off. I guess that I will take them now and that will give me motivation over the next couple of months. I will not see a scale again until new years.