Earthlings

Options
Anyone ever see this documentary? First I watched Forks over Knives and decided I wanted to try cutting out animal products after watching it. Then I put Earthlings on and was horrified through the whole thing...after that I can't even look at meat without being disgusted. I'm pretty sure I am never touching meat ever again!

Replies

• shanni30
    shanni30 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I couldn't even finish Earthlings. Now read The China Diet and you'll be done with meat. No worries, veggies are better anyway!!
  • crunchybubblez
    crunchybubblez Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Yep!
    Veggie meats are the best!
  • ratsassy
    Options
    Can you give a brief synopsis? I'm curious!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i saw earthlings and it had absolutely no effect on my meat consumption.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    you should read the vegetarian myth too, to complete the circle of books in that class.
  • crunchybubblez
    Options
    Try watching Food Inc.
    That's the one that made me not want to eat any meat that wasn't open range& grass fed.
  • crunchybubblez
    Options
    Can you give a brief synopsis? I'm curious!

It's a documentary about animal cruelty, and a good portion shows you where the
    majority of meat in the US comes from.
    Another good one to watch is Food Inc.
  • angelicasmommy
    angelicasmommy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I couldn't even finish Earthlings. Now read The China Diet and you'll be done with meat. No worries, veggies are better anyway!!
    I almost couldn't. After the first 3 minutes I was gonna shut it off . Ill check out food inc and the china diet.I also watched fat, sick and nearly dead, very inspiring.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I've seen Food Inc. Didn't change the way I looked at meat. Still love me some chicken and steak every week.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Has anyone seen "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone". I saw it and immediately went out and bought a broom.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    There's a really cool new site called YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19eBAfUFK3E
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Has anyone seen "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone". I saw it and immediately went out and bought a broom.

Ooo! Did you get the Nimbus 2000??? Cuz those rock. :glasses:

(And, yes, Food Inc. did leave an impression. I eat mostly free range meat and organic eggs now.)
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh:
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options

Not quite the same logic...
    I really appreciate Earthlings, i'm vegan but by no means a militant one, but i think that it's important that meat eaters know where their meat and dairy comes from regardless of whether they go vegetarian or vegan afterwards/one day or not. Awareness is important :)
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options

I really appreciate Earthlings, i'm vegan but by no means a militant one, but i think that it's important that meat eaters know where their meat and dairy comes from regardless of whether they go vegetarian or vegan afterwards/one day or not. Awareness is important :)

My meat comes from a farm about 80mi north of me where it spends its life hanging out munching clover and taking naps in the shade. :flowerforyou: This little farm I found is awesome. I won't give up meat, but it does NOT mean I want my future food abused, tortured, standing around in squalid conditions, etc.

Still working on dairy. *sigh*
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

I know where it comes from. I've been to a chicken processing plant and I've seen plenty of videos of slaughterhouses and stuff. I prefer to kill my own but it's just not practical all the time. Seeing the chicken plant first hand did nothing to change my chicken eating habits.
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options

My meat comes from a farm about 80mi north of me where it spends its life hanging out munching clover and taking naps in the shade. :flowerforyou: This little farm I found is awesome. I won't give up meat, but it does NOT mean I want my future food abused, tortured, standing around in squalid conditions, etc.

Still working on dairy. *sigh*

I think it's fantastic that you care about where your meat comes from and their living conditions, this is exactly what I wish more people did :)
  • angelicasmommy
    Options
    My issue with meat is the conditions in which the animals live in and how they are treated and killed. In some cases I don't see how it's healthy for us at all. If I could buy meat from a place like a previous poster described, I would but not only is it way out of my price range, but I wouldn't even know where to find such a place around here.
    I kind of had an idea that animals for food were not treated the greatest, but I could not BELIEVE how some of them were treated. Disgusting. I had my hand over my mouth throughout about 90% of the movie, and some parts almost made me cry. Maybe I'm just weak but it's horrific.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    As distasteful as modern food processing may be we're the ones that demand cheap, abundant food.
  • angelicasmommy
    Options
    And I am never touching dairy again either...cows pumped full of hormones and pesticides to keep them continuously producing milk and then are killed when they can't anymore, that is if they havn't dropped dead from exhaustion first. I don't want those hormones/pesticides in mine or my daughter's body.