Need a basic weekly weight lifting routine

Options
Hi all - I need to start incoporating weights into my daily exercise plan. My gym has some pretty standard, nice machines. I already have form down, and for the most part I know how to use the machines. The weird contraption that goes from one side of the room to almost the other side with a lot of pull downs and add ons I'm not totally sure about yet, but... I digress. I just don't know what to do, when, and how long to see it make a difference. I GET cardio. It's almost a science to me. Weights on the other hand feel boring. I feel like I work hard on them and I'm exhausted and only 5-10 minutes went by.

So..... does anyone have some good routines and weekly plans that I could start out with for a little while until I start getting comfortable with this idea of weights. Also, I'm rebuilding the strength in my back from some weird freak spams thing that sent me to bed rest for 2 weeks solid about 6 months ago. I'm better now, but occassionally get tender. So, I can't be doing a while lot of crazy schmazy p90x stuff in jeopardy of my back. I need to ease into this, guaranteed.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Look for the book New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • toofatandy
    toofatandy Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hi I started weight lifting 15 months ago. Now I can bench 120 kgs, before that 25.

This site explains how to perform the movement and covers all ages male and female.

Feel free to add me as a friend.

Enjoy the trip

http://www.muscleandhealth.org/
  • melleyshelley
    melleyshelley Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Oooh. Great ideas. Thank you to the both of you for sharing.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

^^this is a very popular program - yo should definitely look into it.
  • melleyshelley
    Options
    Yeah, I just started reading excerpts and it sounds amazing. Does is have programs in addition to information?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I just started reading excerpts and it sounds amazing. Does is have programs in addition to information?

Yes - it is a program.
  • crowunruh
    crowunruh Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I use the Jefit app on my phone. It has all kinds of routines you can pick from. It is almost like a personal trainer. I like it because it shows you how to do each move. It also logs how much weight you used and how many reps, it even times your rest between each set. They also have a website that makes it easier to pick the routine you want to use. New Rules of Lifting for Women is on there as well.
  • melleyshelley
    Options
    Sweet. Marking the above. I'm getting an Iphone this weekend. Whoot whoot!!! Thank you!
  • FauxAngel13
    FauxAngel13 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    this looks really awesome.. just ordered it and a 6month workout log book to keep track.. cannot wait for it to arrive, just what Ive been looking for...!!!