Any fellow college students?

Options
Hey i was just seeing who else here is a college student. How do you maintain a healthy diet while eating at the school cafeteria? and how do you manage your eating habits when things get stressful? That is one of my biggest struggles, when I have a lot of tests coming up and things start to pile up i just want to eat comfort food.

Replies

• elishazf
    elishazf Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    To be honest I Just buy a lot of fruit, rice and beans. If I'm stressed I go work out in the gym. Although I go to ECU and am in a fraternity so SOMETIMES i'll relieve my stress in a not so healthy way haha. But I try and avoid the cafeteria as much as possible and go buy food from the local grocery stores as much as possible. My cafeteria has a place where you can make your own wraps so I do that if I go there and that's generally a pretty healthy choice.
  • ratsassy
    Options
    Hell yeah. Not gonna lie, it can be a challenge to resist the fries and cakes in the cafeterias at school. Luckily my school has pretty decent salad bar offerings, so I go with my trusty spinach/chickpea/balsamic/whatever else combo errday.

The stress thing = such a soft spot for me, too -- anytime I have to pull something close to an all-nighter, I start licking my lips and thinking dangerous thoughts about the 24-hour hot food place a couple blocks away. Best way I've dealt with it is stocking up on pears and Greek yogurt throughout the week, so that whenever I have cravings at night I can just grab one of those from the dorm fridge instead of even stepping foot outside.
  • katiefridley
    katiefridley Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind me asking, what school do you go to? I got to school at Kent State and we have a great dining home page that tells us what is on the menu for the day, as well as nutritional content, at every location on campus. I can see what is offered where every morning and kind of choose where I want to eat.

We also have salad bars that not only offer salads, but cottage cheese which I usually pair with dried cranberries, chickpeas, or sunflower seeds as a snack or side dish.

We also have something called Veggie A Go Go, which is a call ahead take away menu program at two of our cafeterias. They offer vegetarian, vegan, and gluten free options, so I get the grilled breast and steamed veggies almost once a day. You can check out our dining at kentstatedining.com.

Would you consider posting a link to your school's dining page so we can all take a look and suggest some options?
  • jessicataylor2
    Options
    I have a fridge in my room that I keep stocked with some greek yogurt, fruit, protein shakes, etc. And I always keep luna bars and some nature valley protein bars in my room. My freezer also has some boneless chicken bites and frozen veggies so when it's too late for the cafeteria I can still eat a decent meal. But when I'm in the cafeteria I usually check to see the best option there is. Our caf has a burger/chicken sandwich station so when I can't find anything else I just ask for a plain piece of chicken and find some fruit or veggies.
  • msmith2797
    Options
    I go to east stroudsburg university and we have a nice salad bar but i get tired of salad all the time haha. And we have some other heathy options but sometimes they will have several types of pastas and potatoes and it seems like all carbs all the time, and the meats are pretty greasy.

this is the nutritional info stuff: http://www.campusdish.com/en-US/CSE/ESU/Menus/DansburyCommons.htm
  • foody44
    Options
    i just take lunch, that way you know exactly what you're eating, what goes into the food, and the calorie and nutritional info.