Weight loss and Hypothyroidism

Options
Good Morning,

I am a 25 year old female diagnosed with Thyroid cancer in early 2007. I had a complete thyroidectomy in July 2007, and one round of radioactive iodine treatment in May 2008. Before I was initially diagnosed, I gained aprx. 80 pounds in 12 calendar months. Sure, I had just graduated high school and was no longer "active", but 80 pounds in a year is a lot of weight to gain. After my sugery I was assured that once my medication was "balanced" I would shed the pounds. Here I am, 5 years later, gaining weight again! My Dr. once again assures me that my medication needed adjusted; he has since upped my dose of synthroid from 175 to 200 mcg daily. I have now started to diet and exercise and actually gained 2 pounds in the first week! I am now beginning to suffer from depression and anxiety as I am a 180 pound girl trapped in a 268 pound body. My blood pressure is starting to rise, and I am becoming vitamin D defficient. I feel like there is no hope to achieve my goals. Please help!

Replies

• happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    There is a Discussion group for Hypothyroidism. Check that out because there is a ton of info there.

I was diagnosed as Hypo in 2006. I'm on 125 mcg of Levothyroxine and have been for about a year and a half. Losing weight is hard, but it can be done. There are a few things that you can do to help.

Keep your calories low exercise with lots of Cardio and weight lifting. The exercise will also help with the depression. I know it did for me. You will have to work twice as hard as anyone else will, but if you are willing to do the work it can be done. Stay away from carbs from anything with sugar or white bread, potatoes and things like that. Watch your sodium intake to reduce water retention, too. Drink lots of water.

I started at 284 three months ago. I have been at that weight for almost 3 years. I lost about 70 lbs in 2005, before I was diagnosed, by working out like a crazy woman and starving myself. Then I got burned out and quit and gained the 70 back in 6 months! No joke there, I have it documented. Plus added 50 more on top of that over the next year. I felt miserable for years. Mad at myself for getting that way, scared to lose a few because I lose 5 and gain 10 and couldn't afford do do that anymore.

You can do this. You just have to do the work, be prepared and stay committed. You can send me a friend request if you want, too.
  • Huppmanj
    Huppmanj Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks; I am fairly new to this site and figured someone could point me in the right direction. I will check out the discussion goup.

I have been hitting the cardio hard, still trying to build up to the weight lifting. And you are right, the exercise does chip away at the depression.

Did you have any sort of thyroid surgery or radiation treatments? Or just the Levothyroxine? I was actually taking the Levothyroxine and my Dr. switched me to name brand Synthroid as he says it works much better. (I wish he would have done that 5 years ago!)
    It is more expensive, but I can let you know how it works out once I've been dosing for a few weeks.

I understand how complicated hypothyroidism is; and how frustrating it can be.

I've tried dieting a few times, and have always burned myself out. I am taking things slow, with a committment to exercise everyday. As far as foods, I am making an honest effort, and feel guilty when I eat something I know I shouldn't. I have completely cut soda out of my diet, along with those tasty energy drinks I love so much. I am a beer drinker, but I've switched from Miller Lite to Miller 64, it's 34 calories less a drink. I never have been much of a starch eater, although I love meat. I live on a farm so I have fresh beef at my disposal. I should eat much more chicken and fish; I need to work on that.

It's nice to know someone else is going through the same things I am; although it is unfortunate that we are in this situation at all, but at least it is together. I have sent you a friend request; we can keep in touch and keep one another motivated. Thank you! :smile:
  • L257
    L257 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It can be hard to get your levels balanced and what might look right by the numbers might still not be quite right for you. Not only that, but in my opinion, balanced thyroxine levels will only bring you back to 'normal', back on par with the general population. And they all struggle to lose weight too.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    1) Congratulations on surviving cancer!

2) It is totally normal to gain a little bit when you start exercising due to your muscles retaining water. Be patient. The weightloss will come.

3) Well, there is no 3. I have no experience with hyposthyroidism and I am not a doctor. I wish you luck!
  • divacat80
    divacat80 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    What the others said, and congratulations for fighting so hard!
    My medication is on par with my levels (or so it seems) i feel quite normal but i do have some symptoms and losing weight is a huge everyday battle! Fortunately i learned to love eating healthy and exercising! I am enjoying the journey and the slow results, even my rollercoaster-type weightloss.

Maybe your body just needs to get adjusted. When i plateaued (sorry for any spelling mistakes) in february i felt like it was the end of the world, my doctor didn't listen to me and nothing seemed to work. Two months after and up until know i have been seeing slow progress.

Be careeful with what you eat, some products could affect your medication dose, check the info on the case or label and see if there is something you have to stay away from. I'm on levothyroxine and I have to stay away from soy, iron supplements and I don't remember what else. I read yesterday here that broccoli, brussels sprouts and spinach aren't a good idea either (left me stunned! I have to check if that applies to my medication).

Best of luck!
  • Huppmanj
    Huppmanj Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your words of wisdom! I am only on day 5 of my journey and already feel better about myself. Believe it or not I'm actually excited to go to the gym! I know this is going to be a struggle, and I have to make a lifetime committment to myself to keep on track. I will keep looking to ladies like you to keep my head up! Thanks again!! :smile:
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    what hmvanwink said is so good!!! So totally right on spot! I had problems for years and find that the only way even with medication that I can loose is low carbs. It sounds crazy, what ever else that I try I still do not loose any weight. Best of luck to you in this lifestyle it's hard but it can be done. I added sodium to my tickler that I can see I was blown away!

"Keep your calories low exercise with lots of Cardio and weight lifting. The exercise will also help with the depression. I know it did for me. You will have to work twice as hard as anyone else will, but if you are willing to do the work it can be done. Stay away from carbs from anything with sugar or white bread, potatoes and things like that. Watch your sodium intake to reduce water retention, too. Drink lots of water. "
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    First of all, YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis...kinda the same as Hypo but, it is an enlarge thyroid without the High levels. But, my symptoms were the same...gained weight, hair loss, mood issues, etc. My mom is also Hypo and is on meds for it as well and has always had a problem, for as long as I can remember.

Just a thought...your depression could also causes by the hypo as well.

ALL HOPE IS NOT LOST!!!! There are many people who use this as an excuse and many others that dont let it hold them back. DO NOT let it hold you back. it will be harder for us to lose the weight but,w e can do it. Your "diet" restrictions are going to be different then someone just trying to lose weight.

Here is a good article...

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=635&page=3

In a nutshell...cut back on the "bad" carbs and simple sugars (pies, cookies, etc.), reduce your caffiene/stimulant intake, eat your fruits & veggies, increase your fiber intake, and drink plenty of water.

For me, I also started taking a multi-vitamin before I was started on meds and just kept myself moving! I get those days where I can actually tell when I've had too much caffiene or too much sugar because I get sluggish and cant seem to get myself out of bed in the morning for my workouts. CAFFIENE is a major vice for me and I am trying to cut back on the coffee but it is hard. So, I jsut dont have much of any after I drink my coffee in the morning.

Just F.Y.I., my mom had lost 60 lbs a few years back and ebcause of that, theyw ere able to reduce her meds...she is currently trying to re-lose those lbs so she doesnt have to increase any more meds yet again. So, it is a constant battle.

GOOD LUCK and feel free to friend me if you'd like.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Maybe I am abnormal, or maybe I just don't use my hypothyroidism as an excuse, but I think I can lose weight just like anyone else. I used to say it was so difficult for me to lose weight and would blame it on my thyroid, when really I was just lazy and wasn't doing anything about my eating or exercising. I was diagnosed at 13 with hypothyroidism and it was the lowest levels the doctors had seen, they got me regulated and struggled with my weight up until I actually took control. I am eating 1500 calories a day, I'm not cutting out anything specific from my diet. I try to keep my macros at 40/30/30. I am doing heavy lifting 3 days a week, and right now RI30 3 days a week. I have lost 24 lbs since August. I am meticulous about keeping my diary and I work my *kitten* off. It is totally possible to lose weight with an under active thyroid and I don't think it is any harder than any other person that actually stays dedicated.

You can do this! The weight you have gained in the last few days could just be your muscles retaining water. Give it time and you will see results! Add me if you would like :)
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    There is a Discussion group for Hypothyroidism. Check that out because there is a ton of info there.

I was diagnosed as Hypo in 2006. I'm on 125 mcg of Levothyroxine and have been for about a year and a half. Losing weight is hard, but it can be done. There are a few things that you can do to help.

Keep your calories low exercise with lots of Cardio and weight lifting. The exercise will also help with the depression. I know it did for me. You will have to work twice as hard as anyone else will, but if you are willing to do the work it can be done. Stay away from carbs from anything with sugar or white bread, potatoes and things like that. Watch your sodium intake to reduce water retention, too. Drink lots of water.

I started at 284 three months ago. I have been at that weight for almost 3 years. I lost about 70 lbs in 2005, before I was diagnosed, by working out like a crazy woman and starving myself. Then I got burned out and quit and gained the 70 back in 6 months! No joke there, I have it documented. Plus added 50 more on top of that over the next year. I felt miserable for years. Mad at myself for getting that way, scared to lose a few because I lose 5 and gain 10 and couldn't afford do do that anymore.

You can do this. You just have to do the work, be prepared and stay committed. You can send me a friend request if you want, too.

^^Exactly!! Sorry, I didnt get a chance to read everything before I posted! :-)
  • AmyW125
    AmyW125 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    bump
  • divacat80
    divacat80 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I am eating low carb as well. I eat two slices of wholegrain bread per day when i don't have oatmeal for breakfast( i sometimes cheat and eat more than that :blushing: ) If i eat other high GI carbs as white pasta, rice and stuff ... i am only allowed to have them three times per week. But if i have them all in their low GI version i make better progress.

My nutritionist told me to eat white bread if i wanted but i found out wholegrain is better for me in every way and got used to the taste.
    :)
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    A couple things I learned after being on Synthroid for over a year, which at least one person somewhat mentioned, you have to watch what you take with your meds. I have acid reflux and take prescription strength Prilosec, I also take a multivitamin which contains iron. My doctor also had me start taking ferrous sulfate 325 mg (an iron supplement) about a year after I started on the Synthroid. She never told me that I couldn't take all these things together, that was something I learned on my own. You shouldn't take iron or any type of antacids WITH your Synthroid. You *can,* however still take these other meds, you just have to wait at least 4 hours. So I take my Synthroid when I get up in the morning (on an empty stomach, as directed), I take my Prilosec at work, around lunch time, and I take my multivitamin and iron at night before bed (because you also can't take iron at the same time as antacid type meds). The iron (even the iron in the multivitamin) and the antacids can both interfere with the effectiveness of the Synthroid. And Synthroid can actually mess up your ferritin (iron retention) and iron levels, which is why many people on these medications need to take extra iron supplements.

I was diagnosed in 2010. I lost 40 lbs that year by working out 4-5 days per week and watching my calories. I have never really low-carbed, but I know a lot of hypo folks say they can't lose weight otherwise. Since we are each different, you may find you need to do lower carb, or you may not. After I lost the 40 lbs, I got busy and stopped working out. I gained back 15 of those lbs. I started watching my calories again (on this site this time) in January 2012. I started working out again on April 3. I was on a 6 days/week workout schedule (I have worked through 4 Jillian Michaels DVDs and I used to walk a lot as well) until a couple weeks ago, when I dropped down to 3-4 times/week. I reached my goal of 25 lbs lost August 18. Granted, I had a lot less to lose than you do currently, but I'm telling you all this so that you know that it CAN be done. It took me just over 19 weeks to lose 25 lbs, so that's an average of 1.3 lbs per week, which is a goodish pace. And there were weeks where I didn't record a loss, sometimes it went up. Seriously, just keep working at it, strive to have a better day each day. I also subscribe to the "eat more to weigh less" philosophy, which is another group to check into here on MFP. I have my maintenance calories set at 1800 now, may still need to tweak that a bit, we shall see... But I was eating around 1600 per day and still losing.

Congratulations on beating cancer! I wish you much success on this road. You can do it!
  • 1PoisonIvy
    1PoisonIvy Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged!!

I had Grave's disease, where my thyroid worked too much, and had to go through radioactive idodine treatment too.
    Now it doesn't work at all. So I know how hard it is, plus I am over 50, so my overall metabolism has really slowed down!!
    I have been on thyroid medicine now for about 20 years!

And Mariposa224 is right about your medicine and vitamins......it does interfere with your thyroid medicine.
    Even when they get your medicine right, it is still going to take clean eating and exercise. I found, for me, exercise is the only way I lose weight. I can eat clean, but not lose, so you must exercise.

You are young, best time to do it is now!!!

You can do it!!! Please feel free to add me.
    Good luck on your journey!
    Ivy
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    Maybe I am abnormal, or maybe I just don't use my hypothyroidism as an excuse, but I think I can lose weight just like anyone else. I used to say it was so difficult for me to lose weight and would blame it on my thyroid, when really I was just lazy and wasn't doing anything about my eating or exercising. I was diagnosed at 13 with hypothyroidism and it was the lowest levels the doctors had seen, they got me regulated and struggled with my weight up until I actually took control. I am eating 1500 calories a day, I'm not cutting out anything specific from my diet. I try to keep my macros at 40/30/30. I am doing heavy lifting 3 days a week, and right now RI30 3 days a week. I have lost 24 lbs since August. I am meticulous about keeping my diary and I work my *kitten* off. It is totally possible to lose weight with an under active thyroid and I don't think it is any harder than any other person that actually stays dedicated.

You can do this! The weight you have gained in the last few days could just be your muscles retaining water. Give it time and you will see results! Add me if you would like :)

You are not abnormal, you are one of those people who doesnt use it as an excuse. A lot of people use it as just an excuse for being lazy and not wanting to WORK at it.

GREAT JOB!!!! :-)
  • L257
    L257 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Sorry my earlier comment seemed a bit blunt- I had to go and deal with a toilet-training toddler.

Whoever said the weight would drop off you is a bit naive. Like I said earlier, getting your hormone level balanced will just make you like everyone else and they're not all skinny. You may lose a little weight initially but you'll have to work hard for the rest, just like everyone else does. Having said that, working hard will actually work now.

The way I figure it, with untreated hypo I could have the same diet and excercise habits as a bunch of people who weigh 80kg but I would weigh 90kgs. With treated hypo and the same diet and exercise habits, i should fall back down to 80kg. But I won't suddenly drop to 60kg unless I change my diet and/or activity levels.

Don't give up! It's not a miracle pill but over time you *will* look and feel a hundred times better.