How can I improve my diet ? :) x

I started my new eating plan four days ago and I've kept a food diary. I have around 16lb to lose. I walk for an hour a day and here's what I've been eating. Is it too much/unhealthy? How can I improve my diet?

Day 1

Breakfast: Apple and Spinach Juice (Fresh, Homemade)

Snack: Fruit Salad - 1/2 Canteloupe Melon, 1 Banana, A Few Strawberries & Half A Mango

Lunch: Salad (including 1/2 avocado) and 2tbsp Reduced Fat Hummus with Brown Pitta Bread

Snack: Orange, Carrot, Beetroot and Ginger Juice (Fresh, Homemade)

Dinner: Salmon Fillet with Brown Rice and Steamed Vegetables

Snack: Medium Soy Milk, Date, Mango and Banana Smoothie (300ml ish)

Day 2

Breakfast: 1 x Scrambled Egg with 1 Piece of Brown Toast, Teaspoon of Olive butter & Half a Can of Baked Beans

Snack: Broccoli, Lime, Apple, Beetroot & Cucumber Juice (Fresh, Homemade) Blended With 1/2 Avocado

Lunch: Homemade Vegetable and Pulse Soup and 1 Piece of Brown Bread

Snack: Fruit Salad - 1 Pear, A Few Strawberries, 1 Banana. Handful Grapes

Dinner: Prawn & Pineapple Fried Rice, Homemade

Snack: Apple Juice (Fresh, Homemade) Warmed Up With a Pinch of Cinnamon

Day 3

Breakfast: Porridge With a Handful of Raisins & A Teaspoon of Honey

Snack: Apple and Spinach Juice (Fresh, Homemade)

Lunch: Large Salad with Tuna, Mixed Seeds and Avocado

Snack: Homemade Vegetable and Pulse Soup

Dinner: Chicken Stirfry & Noodles

Snack: Small Banana & Date Soya Milk Smoothie

Day 4

Breakfast: Porridge With a Teaspoon Dessicated Coconut, 1/2 Teaspoon Cinemon & 1 Brazil Nut

Snack: Fresh Pineapple, 1/2 Mango, Handful Blueberries

Lunch: Jacket Potatoe with Small Sprinkle of Cheese & Half A Can Baked Beans

Snack: 5 Lettuce Leaves Filled with Avocado & Lemon Juice Purree

Dinner: Homemade Tuna and Vegetable Pizza with Salad

Snack: Carrot, Ginger and Orange Juice (Fresh, Homemade)

Replies

• Is this a vegan, or low carb diet? If so, I have no ideas....I eat tons of hearty, meaty stuff

Maybe just be sure you are using more energy than you consume?

Veggies and Fruits are only good if complemented with other stuff too. Do not be afraid of the *white meat*
  • I eat a bit of meat and fish but I am aiming for as much fruit and veg as possible and want to become Vegan at some point.
  • That is something that I will never be. Best of luck! Bump it in the morning, as most of the vegans are probably sleeping right now.

P.s.---your diary is not present, so we do not know how much you are eating of each item to establish a numerical statistic and comparison. Also, make sure you put in the first quote that you want to go vegan, so that people like me wont plague the thread. Better to be direct.
  • Love_flowers
    Love_flowers Posts: 365 Member
    I am impressed. In my opinion your eating is very clean, healthy and nutritious.
    I say you stick with that and remember a lot of water as well.

If you want to, you can switch the brown toast with rye bread. It is much better, healthier and very filling.

Otherwise, keep it up and you will most likely lose weight the healthy way :D Provided you don't undereat of course :)
  • Your diet looks good, lots of fruit and vegetables which is great to see. For weight loss, it isn't so much what you eat but how much you eat, so keep an eye on that. Assuming you have the calories right, it looks good,
  • JosephVitte
    JosephVitte Posts: 2,039
    I'd add some Doritos........... nutritions, and delicious!:heart:

Seriously, no sugar, a great snack, low in calories, tasty. Bet you can't eat just one!:tongue:
  • Also, if you want to go vegan, you may want to start cooking with plant proteins such as chick peas and lentils to gradually get used to cooking with them.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    To my mind 'clean' does not mean 'healthy', it just means less processed.

Lack of protein was certainly the first thing I thought. Then lack of fat maybe.
    Plenty of some micronutrients, but not very 'balanced'.

I'm definitely one for taking healthy to be what the body needs.
    Far from an expert on veganish stuff, however.
    For some people adding a big mac a day to their diet may be an excellent health choice.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    It seems like lots of sugar (although natural forms which I guess is good) and not nearly enough protein or fat. Add a hard boiled egg or something to your breakfast. Better protein sources to your lunch than hummus. Maybe add whole beans to your salad - I hear white beans are good for salad. If you're not allergic to nuts, add an ounce of peanuts or almonds for a snack.