Smoothies good or bad?

Options
i have a smoothie almost every morning usually consisting of strawberries pineapple yoghurt and a banana, it makes about 15floz., however there is alot of talk that smoothies can be full of sugar and fat should i cut down on the smoothies?

Replies

• NocturnalGirl
    Options
    No individual foods are bad for you, it's about your diet overall.
  • xxtwinie2xx
    Options
    but i have one everyday for breakfast like it is a big part of my diet?
  • MrsGSR
    MrsGSR Posts: 88
    Options
    Most fruits are quite high in sugar, personally I only eat them for a treat. Some people on here say sugar is bad, some will say sugar doesn't matter as long as your overall carbs are within their macros. If your losing weight and don't have any bad effects (if I eat too much sugar I get tired etc) then I wouldn't worry about it
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Are you recording it in your food log? Then you can see yourself what sugars, fats, calories etc it contains. You decide whether that fits into your daily intake OK. If you're buying a smoothie in a restaurant or shop, make sure you check the nutritional detail, sugars especially.

You can't say "all smoothies are bad" or "all smoothies are good" - there's just far too much variation going on in them.
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    It depends what you put in your smoothie. From what you said, it doesn't seem like it would be bad. HOWEVER, it also depends on how much of each item you put in and what kind of yogurt you use. Are you logging your smoothies? Log each ingredient and see how it looks.
  • werdnap2000
    werdnap2000 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If it tastes good and you are within your daily calories everyday then who cares! Enjoy. I like my smoothies with a bit of honey, vanilla essence, organic yogurt, strawberries, banana and full fat organic milk. I don't add a lot of milk and if I make it's usually a lot of energy so it comes after a big ride or something like that. If your's is not too high in energy then you should be right.
  • natbeach
    Options
    IMHO, think back to before you started... the ingredients in your smoothie are probably SO MUCH BETTER than what you may have eated for a long time. I reckon if you enjoy them and it fits in your cal goal, go for it.