Mad at Carl's Jr

Options
This bugs me!!!

There new CRANBERRY WALNUT apple salad is advertised as being only 300 calories...

but the CRANBERRIES and WALNUTS are not counted as part of the 300 calories..

You have to add them...

YIKES!!!

Julia

Replies

• imdamom
    imdamom Posts: 42
    Options
    Oh no!! I love that salad and I fell for that advertising. That is so unfair! So have you calculated out the damage? How much do the cranberries and walnuts add?

I just checked their website and looked up their ingredient list and nutrition facts for the salad. The cranberries and walnuts are listed in the ingredients under the 300 calorie nutritional content. I am not seeing anything about it being separate.
  • Lusadi
    Lusadi Posts: 79
    Options
    Good to know! Thank you for sharing.
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Where did you get that info? The website states they are included in the 300 cals.... but the dressing would be additional.

Ingredients: Cranberry, Apple, Walnut Grilled Chicken Salad Grilled chicken, feta cheese and apple slices on a bed of spring salad mix. Served with dried cranberries, glazed walnuts and a raspberry vinaigrette.

Nutritional Info: Cranberry, Apple, Walnut Grilled Chicken Salad , 300grams, 300cals, 100cals from fat, 11g total fat 3.5g sat fat, 70mg cholesterol, 840mg sodium, 25g carbs, 4g fiber, 15g sugar, 26g protein
    Note: Does not include salad dressing

The raspberry vinaigrette dressing adds 160 cals :noway: but their balsamic dressing is only 35 cals, that's what I always get!
  • JessicaPahl
    Options
    oh my god that is bogus bs! :noway:
  • JuliaSoCal
    Options
    I sure hope I am wrong...

They nutritional info says that the "dressingS" are not counted. The bag of walnuts is 70 cal( right off the bag) the The bag of cranberries is 35...

The reason I think they are seperate is that they are not on the salad when you order it, and they are included in the same baggie that the dressing is in...

PLEASE correct me if you know :)

Julia
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I HATE CARL'S JR!!! When i first started this weight loss journey, i went to carl's one night....F* that!!!! All their food is waaaaaaaay tooooo high in calories for me to feel good about it! Even though they look healthier they are NOT!!!!
  • HealthyEscape
    Options
    I think they have to keep the nuts and berries seperate for people with allergens to those items. The salad @ 300cals DOES include everything EXCEPT the dressing.
  • maurierose
    Options
    Neena - their salads aren't too bad!! I get double chicken portions on mine, and order balsamic vinaigrette..... they're yummo. You can also order just about any of their burgers with a substitution of grilled chicken breast (hawaiian is especially good this way) and their site has lots of low-cal options to change out the high-calorie, high-fat options for most of their foods! Our cashiers have been very knowledgeable about ways to make them lower-impact calorie-wise (skip the bun, sub the bun with a whole-wheat version, lettuce-wrap it, skip the cheese or mayo, etc.) That's been a life-saver for me, as my hubby and kids would probably choose Carl's Jr over most of the other options if we're going to do an infrequent fast-food-run.....
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    What's on the "salad" before you put the cranberries, walnuts, and dressing on it? Just apples? Because if it's just apples, it's certainly not 300 calories unless it's like half a pound of apples. :laugh:
  • maurierose
    Options
    What's on the "salad" before you put the cranberries, walnuts, and dressing on it? Just apples? Because if it's just apples, it's certainly not 300 calories unless it's like half a pound of apples. :laugh:

They come with grilled chicken :smile:
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Hm, note that it gives the description of the salad (cranberry walnut chicken) then it says: "served WITH cranberries, walnuts, and dressing." That could be a disguise, or it could be that the salad is just 300 cals. Who knows; most big companies are deceiving anyway :noway:
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Cranberries and walnuts are not considered to be "dressings".
  • JuliaSoCal
    Options
    YEAH!!! That makes me very happy!!!

Julia
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options

They come with grilled chicken :smile:

Oooh. Well I'd very much bank on the 300 calorie total including the chicken, apples, cranberries, and walnuts.
    4oz chicken: 110 calories
    4oz apples: 60 calories

I'd be hugely impressed if there was more than 4oz of chicken in it.

Sounds freaking delicious though; I'm totally going to make it on my own. :laugh:
  • imdamom
    imdamom Posts: 42
    Options
    This is their ingredient list for the salad from their website:

INGREDIENTS:
    Garden Salad Blend: Iceberg Lettuce, Carrots, Red Cabbage.

Spring Mix Lettuce/Baby Spinach Blend: Spring Mix (May contain: Green Leaf, Mizuna, Green Romaine, Tango, Green Oak, Green Chard, Baby Spinach, Arugula, Frisee, Tatsoi, Mache, Red Chard, Red Leaf, Lolla Rosa, Red Romaine, Red Mustard, Radicchio, Red Oak, Beet Tops), Spinach.

Chicken Strips, Fully Cooked, Lime Allergens: Wheat and wheat gluten, Soy and soy products: Chicken Breast with Rib Meat, Water, Seasoning [Salt, Corn Syrup Solids, Sugar, Dextrose, Dehydrated Garlic, Soy Sauce
    (Wheat, Soybeans, Salt), Dehydrated Chicken Broth, Maltodextrin, Dehydrated Onion, Lime Juice Solids, Paprika, Natural
    Flavors, Soybean Oil, Chili Pepper, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Modified Food Starch, with less than 2% Silicon Dioxide (added to
    prevent caking)], Modified Food Starch and Sodium Phosphate.

Feta Cheese Allergens: Milk and milk products
    Cultured Pasteurized Milk, Salt, Enzymes, Potato Starch (added to prevent caking).

Cranberries, Dried: Cranberries, Sugar, Sunflower Oil.

Walnuts, Glazed Allergens: Wheat and wheat gluten, Tree Nuts, Peanuts: Walnut Pieces, Honey Coating (Sucrose, Wheat Starch, Honey, Maltodextrin, Xanthan Gum), Vegetable Oil (may contain one
    or more of: Peanut, Canola, Sunflower, Soybean), Sugar, Salt.

Apple Slices, Fresh: Apples, Calcium Ascorbate.