Android Nerd's 30-Day-Shred - Level 1

Options
Ok, let me premise this post with some background about myself.

I'm a 40-year-old nerd who like most of you joined this site because improvements were needed in the diet and/or exercise area.

My wife and I live in Wisconsin and baby #3 is on the way sometime around Christmas.

I've dealt with my weight being much akin to a yo-yo, but for most of my adult life (read: post-college) I've been over 200 with exception for a few brief trips below for short visits. Typically my weight is around 230-240 and occasionally to see what it looks like from up there, I make the trip upwards. My highest weight ever was 265 (I'm 5'11” BTW) I think in 2009, but I managed to lose a mess of weight then it's slowly crept back up to 254 where it was in the middle of August when I decided that I had enough and I wanted to lose some weight so that I could be around for my kids and not just be the chubby part of the couch.

On 8/20 I started walking, I quit smoking, and I started watching what I eat. I weighed in that morning and logged my weight and my food pretty much non-stop since then. I still eat what I want for the most part on weekends, but I do make an attempt to not overdo it, but tis the season for football, chili and Oktoberfest beer, and I'm only human. So far I've lost just over 20 pounds and as of 10/20 I had walked over 200 miles, with a sprinkling of jogging thrown in there. I really want to be able to run an entire 5K and it bothers me that while I can run a continuous mile on the treadmill, I can't do it outside for some reason. Oh well, I digress...

I was reading a lot (and a lot, and a lot more) about exercise programs and I decided that I was going to try the Jillian Michaels 30-Day-Shred. I got the DVD and it looked really nice on my desk. Where it sat. For like a month. Mocking me. I ignored the mocking.

So I finally decided that I was going to try it. This past Monday I did level 1 for the first time. It took me a while to figure out what weight dumbells to use, but I think I have it dialed in right now.

So Tuesday comes and I can't help but think of how useless that “video” portion of the video is. I mean there's only a handful of exercises and once you know how to do them, why do you need to watch the video?

So here's where the nerd in me raises his hand. I grab my phone (Android) and do a Google Play search for “workout timer” or something like that because I wanted something that would just give me an audible sound that 30 seconds had elapsed. I was just going to put a white-board in the basement and write down the exercises and after 30 or 60 seconds, I would move to the next one when the noise told me to.

I ended up with a couple apps but really liked this one...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pimpimmobile.atimer&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5waW1waW1tb2JpbGUuYXRpbWVyIl0.

If that link doesn't work, do a search for “HIIT Interval Timer” by Pimpim Mobile

So I find a list that is online of the breakdown of all the exercises from the DVD and I go about entering them into the app. Tuesday evening I didn't use the DVD, but instead fired up the app and did the workout that way and it worked just splendidly. In fact, I was so sore that I could barely do Day 3, but it had nothing to do with the app.

I also noticed that I didn't have any “transition” time built in between exercises so that I could get into the right position, or grab the weights, or something like that, so I added some of that, typically 5 seconds between parts where you had to get up, or down, or grab weights, etc.

I did that last night and it worked pretty darn well, if I do say so myself.

So now I just need to enter level 2 & 3 into the app and probably watch the video of each of those a time or two so that I know what I'm doing and bingo, off I go.

So what does any of this long, boring, rambling post mean to you?

Well, if you have an Android phone, and are somewhat savvy, I've done a bunch of the work for you! I can “export” my workout to a file that resides on my SD-card of the phone. I would think that in theory, I could email that file to someone and if they knew how to put files from a PC onto their phone, they could “import” it and do the same thing I did.

Anyway, just food for thought, and if anyone wants to try it, or has any questions, feel free to hit me up here.

Replies

• cindyj001
    cindyj001 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What a great idea!

I started using HIIT on my Android when I started running after an injury. I was using the Jeff Galloway method (I recommend it for your 5K goal) http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/walk_breaks.html. I did a 10 mile run this spring using this method with the HIIT timer! works great. I'd be interested in receiving your workouts and trying them out on the phone.
    thanks!
  • jemimasmum
    jemimasmum Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hi Eric,
    Love the badgers!!
    Have downloaded the pimpim program - would really appreciate your workout stuff. Will save me dealing with dysfunctional dvd player thus removing my current excusre for not getting on with the shred. Please drop me a message and I'll send email address to test your theory.
    Thanks!
  • Eric53066
    Eric53066 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I shot you a message this morning!
  • Eric53066
    Options
    I tweaked some of the times on the Strength portions this weekend. I'm going to tackle the second 5 days of level 1 this week after taking the weekend off with trick or treating and general laziness.

I will work on getting level 2 entered into the app, and I'm also going to make some super workouts that combine elements of levels 1 & 2 and I'm thinking the workouts will be around 30-35 minutes each.

Without knowing for sure, I would think that Android Nerd's 30DS-X™ would combine all exercises from all 3 levels (skipping redundant stretching or warmups) and would put the entire 30 Day Shred workout into a single power workout that would be around 45-50 minutes long.

I haven't done levels 2 or 3 yet so I'm not sure what muscle groups that they focus on but I may tweak some stuff here and there to get focus on some groups that might need attention.

I suppose I should work on my blog if this gets too complicated. :laugh:
  • margieparkins
    margieparkins Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    hello, yes please, my email is,
    gramar49@bigpond.com
    thankyou for sharing
    margie from Aussie
  • Eric53066
    Options
    Email sent with rudimentary instructions.
  • sbermud
    sbermud Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'd like it please sbermud@gmail.com

Thanks!
  • Eric53066
    Options
    I was working with Margie and we couldn't get it working right, so let's try this again.

The file is at:

http://db.tt/Sc2kTfN5

I will also email it to you. You'll need to save it somewhere on your phone's storage after you have the app installed. I'm not sure if it needs to go into that folder or if it just needs to be on your phone. If you hit Menu and Settings (or something similar) there's a spot to Import/Export workouts.

I haven't created the Level 2 workout yet since I hadn't had much interest, but if you get it working, I'll create Level 2 & 3