weight loss stall

Options
Hi hit 30 pounds and have stopped losing weight. I have 1670 calories a day to eat. I work out 5 times a week on an elliptical or a stationary bike and usually burn around 560 calories. I am trying to figure out if I am not eating enough or eating too much? I usually don't eat back the calories I burn during exercise Any suggestions. My diary is open..

Replies

• gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    how long have you been stalled for?
  • Kmelim
    Kmelim Posts: 26
    Options
    about 3 weeks. I have tried increasing my workouts, eating less, eating more.
  • Kmelim
    Options
    life kicked in with a death in the family, working some long hours but I have tried to stay true.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    diary's not open .......
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    about 3 weeks. I have tried increasing my workouts, eating less, eating more.

If you have tried all these you cant have stuck to any one for more than about 5 days? Try to pick just one stick to it for 3-4 weeks before changing again.

3 weeks is not long to be stalled - stick at it and you'll get there. xx
  • Tracy_03311981
    Options
    3 weeks is not a "plateau" it is once you hit 2 months or more.....
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    If you lost 28lbs...you should have continued to plug along with whatever you were doing...Because it WAS working...Like someone else said...Three weeks is not a long time to be stalled.
  • Kmelim
    Options
    oops sorry it was to friends only. It's open to the public now.
  • rubyautumn4
    rubyautumn4 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Are you lifting at all?
  • Kmelim
    Options
    ok then I will continue on with the workouts and the lifestyle changes and see what happens.
  • Kmelim
    Options
    no not lifting yet. I do use resistance on the elliptical since I use the interval settings.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    life kicked in with a death in the family, working some long hours but I have tried to stay true.

I can understand, the same happened to me this summer. i am sorry for your loss. Sometimes stress alone can inhibit weight loss through cortisol production, anxiety-related eating, and decreased energy for workouts. 3 weeks really isn't a long stall, maybe shake up the workout routine to avoid monotony. Sometimes even a week off allows your muscles to repair and perform better when you return.

Otherwise, just keep at it. You have been doing amazingly! As we get closer to goal, it takes longer to lose so don't get discouraged. :flowerforyou:
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    no not lifting yet. I do use resistance on the elliptical since I use the interval settings.

I personally hate machines.

Why would you rely on a machine to make you better? Definitely add free weights. If you want results get stronger, if you don't keep riding in one spot for an hour.
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend keeping track of your sodium. I go over on my sodium quite often but it hasnt affected my weight loss yet but I do track it in case I need some guidance further along. Also, is there anything from 3 weeks ago that you did differently? Did you consume less carbs? I have to try and keep my carbs in check, I cannot eat oatmeal, bread, and pasta all in one day and expect to lose. Thats just me but I am pretty sensitive to carbs. I get 200 a day and I really need to stay around 150 to lose.

Good luck! The scale will start moving again just keep with it.
  • Kmelim
    Options
    thanks all for the advice. I really thought that 3 weeks was a stall. LOL I went back over my diary...there were three days where I didn't log in at all due to the funeral. I worked out those three days but my food wasn't all that great.

As for weights and working out in place. I really like the elliptical. It provide a challenge to get the resistance up as high as I can stand which at this point isn't very high....only level 9. I have nothing against weights and weight lifting. Just haven't added it yet.
  • Kmelim
    Options
    I'm afraid if I take a week off from working out I won't go back to it! lol but I hear what you are saying. I didn't think about stress eating. I was trying to figure out if I needed to make any changes because I was doing so well and that first 30 pounds came off so easily. Basically just eating less and burning more. Hmmm....I wonder if resistance on the elliptical and on the bike added muscle mass? I mean I know I have lost inches....
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I have tried the eat less than 1200, eaten at around 1400 and now around 1800/2000 and I've been stalled for 5 months. My profile pic is off me now and back at the end of May - I weigh the same.

good luck, but like others have said, I guess you have to just keep on keeping on! It's tough at times, believe me I know. I too had a family loss very recently and it's tough to stay motivated etc.

with the amount of food to eat, I generally eat breakfast, lunch and dinner, and if I'm hungry in between then I will have a sanck, if I'm not then I wont! I just can't see why I should eat something if I'm not hungry.

Good luck. x
  • Kmelim
    Options
    I have tried the eat less than 1200, eaten at around 1400 and now around 1800/2000 and I've been stalled for 5 months. My profile pic is off me now and back at the end of May - I weigh the same.

good luck, but like others have said, I guess you have to just keep on keeping on! It's tough at times, believe me I know. I too had a family loss very recently and it's tough to stay motivated etc.

with the amount of food to eat, I generally eat breakfast, lunch and dinner, and if I'm hungry in between then I will have a sanck, if I'm not then I wont! I just can't see why I should eat something if I'm not hungry.

Good luck. x