Dark Chocolate

Options
For dark chocolate lovers like myself: what type/how often do you treat yourself to it? Have you seen any health benefits or drawbacks because of it?

Replies

• Gennybunny96
    Gennybunny96 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I buy one good quality chocolate bar and have one piece every night. I look forward to my little treat and I find I can resist more during the day knowing I have my treat waiting for me at home.
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Except in the Halloween candy season I stick to Dove dark singles, one a day, at that late point towards quitting time when I need some encouragement to keep going. The best thing it does is quiet the chocolate craving so I am not likely to binge on some more dilute chocolate or sugar later. The crumpled up wrapper on my desk reminds me that I already had my treat for the day.

Another weight loss pal used to call it her "date with chocolate."

Cheap chocolate doesn't thrill me like it used to, except for when it is staring me in the face.
    Halloween candy season is really tough. Luckily all of it is in small portions.
  • pikanchi
    pikanchi Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I tend to opt for ones that are stated to be completely dairy-free/suitable for vegans as I'm transitioning from a vegetarian diet to a vegan diet. I haven't noticed any drawbacks with dark chocolate -- if I have a bar, I'll break off a square or two and eat that or grate a square over porridge or something, and then save the rest. I don't have as much of a desire to sit and devour the entire bar as I might have if it was a bar of dairy milk or something. On the plus side, I've found that milk chocolate is a lot less appealing now, although every so often I'll find myself staring at a bar of Galaxy thinking 'oh...'!
  • pedraz
    pedraz Posts: 173
    Options
    For dark chocolate lovers like myself: what type/how often do you treat yourself to it? Have you seen any health benefits or drawbacks because of it?

Dark is BEST! I love 72% and darker. I have even gone up to 95% but, I can feel my teeth enamel etching away at those percentages and therefore need to add a sip of Scotch to the experience. Needless to say THAT'S not the best route. IMHO Lindt, Excellence is really good quality. I often have a piece (no more than 20gm and without the Scotch ;) after meals to help me realize the eating session is over. Keeps me from reaching for cookies.

Dark Chocolate RULES! YUM!
  • oohmercyme
    oohmercyme Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I buy one good quality chocolate bar and have one piece every night. I look forward to my little treat and I find I can resist more during the day knowing I have my treat waiting for me at home.

I do this as well. I can be satisfied with one piece of good dark chocolate. The health benefits? Not denying myself something I love, enables me to enjoy it in small doses and not binge. Having something I enjoy lifts my mood and is something I look forward too :)

Bring on the chocolate!
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    The crumpled up wrapper on my desk reminds me that I already had my treat for the day.

Loving that idea!!! Will keep hold of the wrapper from now on if I feel like I need more!!
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    The crumpled up wrapper on my desk reminds me that I already had my treat for the day.

Loving that idea!!! Will keep hold of the wrapper from now on if I feel like I need more!!

Lindt - 3 sqares which i made myself "earn" through extra exercise. Although due to no willpower if its at home, my Dad needs to take the remainder of the bar back home with him. However did savour and took 20-25 minute to eat which for me and chocolate is probabaly a NSV.
  • Sick_Beard
    Sick_Beard Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Lindt 85% almost every evening with a glass of wine baby
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate flavoured with chilli. Awesome.

I read somewhere that people who include dark chocolate in their diets are more successful at weight loss than others. Don't really care whether it's true or not, I'm choosing to believe it anyway! (:
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I buy 1 Lindt dark chocolate bar a week, and eat 1 or 2 squares a day. It keeps me sane! I am currently loving the Seasalt flavor. The one with orange is good too!
  • pedraz
    pedraz Posts: 173
    Options
    Lindt 85% almost every evening with a glass of wine baby

you said it!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I'll get on kicks where I'll eat a lot of chocolate, and by a lot I mean about a half an oz. every day. It's typically ~70%. I love Green & Black's and Endangered Species. ES has one with I think cranberries and almonds that's fantastic.
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to just Lindt 85% with 1 or 2 squares a day, but that seasalt has raped my willpower, and now my wife brought home the Lindor Truffles, with peppermint (holiday flavor), and while I'm sticking with no more than 3 a day, my 85% bar has been untouched for almost 2 weeks :/
  • eatrainsmile
    eatrainsmile Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Organic 72% dark chocolate.

I eat the whole package once I start. Darn!
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Endangered Species 72% Chimp Chocolate is my favorite dark chocolate.
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Research shows that dark chocolate increases endorphines, energy, and mood. The darker the better! Like everything, moderation is key ;). I use to eat a square of 70-85% dark chocolate everyday. Will likely go back to it once I finish slowing working my way through the Halloween candy ;).
  • Focusing_on_Liz
    Options
    I love a lindt dark chocolate truffle. I only eat it on nights I go to the gym or workout. I feel like I earned the chocolaty goodness. Man I am craving one now.
  • bmonagle
    bmonagle Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I look forward to Dark Chocolate Treats 2 Lindt 85% squares
    In addition,
    I know have an occasional cup of coffee with coffee mate and Hershey 100% chocolate cooking powder
    YUMO and low in calories
  • joeysox
    joeysox Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    im in england, im told that chocolate is different here to america? but i buy Lindt 70% with caramel and sea salt, i have 2 squares (108cals) a night x
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Dark Chocolate!!! I buy it at Aldi's... Since they are a European company, they have freaking awesome chocolate. plus they are crazy cheap... Plus their chocolate 'bars' are really just like 20 little squares... eat one or 2 and you are good!