Daily Runners

Options
How often do you go running? I tried to go every morning, and I did manage to get out 5 out of 7 mornings. But some mornings I'd wake up and my legs and ankles where too sore to run. I'd go back to bed. I'm 250 lbs. and have been running about 2.2 miles minimum and I have a second route that's 3.8 miles. Should I just run everyday even if I'm sore or run every other day to give my legs a rest? I've read articles where people say they run everyday. I love my runs and the way it makes me feel afterwards. I just wish I could do it more. Maybe when I lose more weight I will be able to run more often?

Replies

• BetterMike
    BetterMike Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'll throw out a couple thoughts. 5 to 7 days running is fine if you've been running a long time. If not, then 3 or 4 is better so that you don't end up injured.

Also you could add strength training or swimming a couple days that you aren't running and still have a day or two resting completely.

Staying injury free will help you more than running more.
  • mkuelbs
    mkuelbs Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You'll probably want to take off at least one day a week, your body will need some time to recover! Even when you have been running for a long time, your muscles will need the rest. Running 5-6 days/week is a good goal, but also listen to your body - if it feels like your running muscles really need more rest do some cross-training, as well.
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    3 times a week is loads for a beginner, 4 plenty for a regular recreational runner, 5 for a club runner, 6 and 7 - time to turn pro!

I think you answered your own question when you said the only reason you dont run is because you are too sore and stiff.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I didn't start running 5 days a week until I had been running for about 4 years.

I didn't start running 6 days a week until I had been running for about 6 years.

I didn't run 7 days a week until about 7 years, and even today at 9 years, I only run 7 days a week during very heavy volume periods of training and typically not for more than two weeks consecutively.

Take breaks. Your body will thank you. Every other day is enough for someone new to running.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    3 times a week is loads for a beginner, 4 plenty for a regular recreational runner, 5 for a club runner, 6 and 7 - time to turn pro!

I think you answered your own question when you said the only reason you dont run is because you are too sore and stiff.

I wish! :)
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Last spring, I ran every day to work then 1 long run on the weekend. Now I don't have showers at work :(
    Before I started running to work, I was a bike commuter for 4 years. I don't even do that anymore because my new city is much scarier to bike in.
  • pt85
    pt85 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Today is Day 314 of year 2 - "MY GOAL ---> RUN 50 YEARS - EVERYDAY" One Day at a Time! Today I turned a corner, It wasn't how much further - But how much longer do I get to run!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I'll throw out a couple thoughts. 5 to 7 days running is fine if you've been running a long time. If not, then 3 or 4 is better so that you don't end up injured.

Also you could add strength training or swimming a couple days that you aren't running and still have a day or two resting completely.

Agree. Rest days are important. So is cross training. 3-4 days of running is more than enough and have a few shorter runs here and there is beneficial as well.
  • Colstriper
    Colstriper Posts: 71 Member
    Options

Agree. Rest days are important. So is cross training. 3-4 days of running is more than enough and have a few shorter runs here and there is beneficial as well.

Sounds good. Running just gets me going and I know I'm getting good exercise when doing it. I guess I could build a little gym in my basement for cross training by lifting weights. Thanks for the info.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Sounds good. Running just gets me going and I know I'm getting good exercise when doing it. I guess I could build a little gym in my basement for cross training by lifting weights. Thanks for the info.

I ran a lot this summer - higher mileage too. And my legs were always sore. I took a few weeks off from running and I started doing a weight lifting routine. Now that I'm back to running (and lifting), I can tell a huge difference in my performance and endurance. Definitely cross train :)
  • aschr690
    aschr690 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Rest!! If you force yourself when you're not feeling it you will just get discouraged. I learned this the hard way a year or so ago. Even if I didn't feel "strong" I would force myself to run and end up not having a very good run. Now I'm building up my endurance (and training for a marathon next year!) and I only run 3 times a week and so far every run I've felt great! The other two days I might do a fast mile and then an hour of strength training, the elliptical, or biking.
  • andrew131
    andrew131 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Today is Day 314 of year 2 - "MY GOAL ---> RUN 50 YEARS - EVERYDAY" One Day at a Time! Today I turned a corner, It wasn't how much further - But how much longer do I get to run!

Nice job... I challenged myself to run for 50 consecutive days and I'm almost there... some days it's not easy but 314+ days... wow.
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I don't really gauge my running in days anymore, in the beginning I thought, "I'll run everyday, because then I can be considered a real runner." I started in January of this year (restarted for the millioneth time), and I think if I kept up that mentality I'd be done for... I (at the advice of runners on MFP and inperson friends) started just working on my weekly mileage.

I've worked very hard and lost 22 pounds since Christmas 2011, and have had two 'game stoppers' if you will, a hip injury and bronchitis the hip slowed me to a near stop for 7 weeks and bronchitis for 4.5 weeks. I think you need to concentrate on how your body feels, make sure you take measurements because when the scale isn't moving your measurements will. Don't try to be someone else's best...BE YOUR BEST. Run is hard at times, it can be mentally tought to get out there, but other times it is magical... don't give up before you reach your magical running moments... they will be what keeps you in your running shoes!

Set a goal to do a race maybe a 5k or a 13.1 and spend the better part of a year training for it, and just increase your miles weekly until you reach your goal distance. Reevalute often, listen to your body, don't stress out about the scale, and eat hardy nutrient filled foods set at a reasonable calorie goal (no extremes, unless you want to pass out on the side of the road), this will change everything for you.